IGNORED

Reasons for collecting video games?

Was talking to my partner recently about collecting video games... so, why do you collect?

Why do people collect in general - I think video games now are such a part of culture that people collect them for investment. That said, there is actually a wiki article on the psychology of collecting - note that it "needs work" but I'm including the link anyway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology_of_collecting

ideas range from existential anxieties, to nostalgia, to simple "satisfaction" - although the question becomes satisfaction in what way and why? Anyway, if I had to guess, I would say for most people here it's a mixture of nostalgia, challenge (finding rare games), and investment. What do you say?

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

The simple answer is to play them.  That's why I purchased the first x number of them back in the 90s.

But why keep going?  Why keep a game that I know I'll never play again?

I don't know.  Because I like looking at shelves full of shit I'm into.  Because I find gaming history endlessly fascinating and want to drown in it.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Why do we collect anything ?

Have the a physical feel of being a caretaker of the item or enjoying the sence of bringing back memories of a time passed . . . 

Either way , just gives pleasure in having something that can be shared along with passing down the experience of nostalgia ( at when you bought the whole game and not a half copy with purchasing download(s)/ upgrade(s) after every so many month(s) , imo )

Edited by Jfreakofkorn

1 minute ago, DarkTone said:

Wanted to challenge myself by going for a complete set. 

I feel like that can't be your sole motivation, at least at first.  If all you wanted was a complete set, you'd have selected something like the Virtual Boy, or another tiny library.  I'm assuming that the motivation for completing the set was driven by a love of the system when you first started collecting, otherwise the drive for completion wouldn't be powerful enough to keep you going.

Just now, the_wizard_666 said:

I feel like that can't be your sole motivation, at least at first.  If all you wanted was a complete set, you'd have selected something like the Virtual Boy, or another tiny library.  I'm assuming that the motivation for completing the set was driven by a love of the system when you first started collecting, otherwise the drive for completion wouldn't be powerful enough to keep you going.

Actually it was from a conversation with a friend. She wanted every NTSC PS2 game. I wanted to pursue a set, but had to think what console would be good enough to chase. Not too easy, not too hard. 

Indeed, typically with any hobby/collection it reflects the personality of its owner.  Obviously I grew up in the 3rd/4th gen so naturally my focus in that regard is NES/SNES cartridges.  And just as naturally my trading card collection is mostly 80s/90s (I have 1974-79 Topps sets as well; well I still need a few commons to finish 1974) and I also really enjoy trying to collect all the mid 90s insert sets from that golden age of insertmania.  As someone who's always been into history, especially my time and right before it, naturally I have World Book yearbooks from 1931-2013 and Britannica ones from 1961-98.

So of course no one would just want "a" complete set.  They'd want to go for one that they have nostalgic for or something.  Something that means the most to them and like I said, best reflects their personality and preferences.  That's what makes the journey all the more worthwhile in the first place.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DarkTone said:

Actually it was from a conversation with a friend. She wanted every NTSC PS2 game. I wanted to pursue a set, but had to think what console would be good enough to chase. Not too easy, not too hard. 

You're collecting PS2?  Damn dude, that's a HUGE challenge!  Not in terms of cash mind you, just sheer quantity!  How far along are you?  I've only dabbled, but I'm still over 400 personally (I'm an "everything" collector myself).  Any highlights?

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

You're collecting PS2?  Damn dude, that's a HUGE challenge!  Not in terms of cash mind you, just sheer quantity!  How far along are you?  I've only dabbled, but I'm still over 400 personally (I'm an "everything" collector myself).  Any highlights?

Wow try squeezing that entire library on one flash drive/SD card or whatever!!!  I mean you don't wanna risk wrecking your good and sometimes very rare discs if you don't have to right?

• Haha 1

• Nostalgia (the spark I started my collection on).
  • Love for the hobby - I turned 33 recently and been gaming for 29 of that.
  • The dopamine hit of discovery and purchase. You could say I became addict when I had more money to blow and a hole to fill in my life, at least it wasn't drugs or something but the addiction part has lessened over time anyway.
  • Physical items being tangible things that you own and not just digital files or rentals.
  • I must have the collecting gene - I always had small or big collections of something since young age like games, pins, coins and cards, though I don't think I viewed them as collections at the time and even offloaded / lost / stopped caring about some.
  • Something to work towards and learn about in my spare time. I also like fiddling with my spreadsheets.
  • Having a library I can pull almost anything out of to play, admire or get lost in a manual (naturally those with the bells and whistles and not just a ton of text in multiple languages).
  • Like 1

Here are Fenrir Zero's top 10 reasons for collecting video games:

#10: That moment when @OptOut fuses with Oingo Boingo and they become OOOB.

#9: I know the stories to all 11 Dragon Quest games, as well as every game that connects to them.

#8: Prior to joining VGS I had some fun trying to build a Dreamcast collection, a Biohazard/Resident Evil collection, and even a Dragon Quest collection.

#7: My past attempts in regards to collecting other stuff, or even try to be part of a community, had me feel that using Heritage Auction to buy games was a sane choice. Then I came here and all of that changed.

#6: A lot of my favorite solo adventures are tied to video game-related events. Especially Sega's urinals' in Joypolis. The one I liked using is one I wish I could add to my dream home.

#5: Dragon Quest the Live in 2017. It was the moment I learned it was Roto and and not Loto, and why being the only damage dealer in a team that is full of healers does not help beat the final boss.

#4: It's fun collecting sealed copies of every game that I either liked playing, or wish I could have played. Even if I have a hard time convincing myself that only having one version is the best way to go.

#3: I can always try to buy a digital copy if I want to play any of the games I currently own. Or buy loose carts of any games I want to play in ROM format. 👍 ... 😅 STOP GIVING ME THAT LOOK!!! 😭

#2: Because Video Game Sage is a thing. If you don't believe me, then click on that link. 🙂

And #1 of Fenrir Zero's top 10 reasons for collecting video games...

#1: I am not collecting the way I wanted. But I am still doing it because it is fun. And I hope one day it will help people understand who I am. Which is a biggie thanks to my variation of Asperger's (and beyond).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

To play the authentic games as intended. I collected boxes for display and I would say nostalgia. I still play a good bulk of my collection regularly and much more than I emulate.

As for games I own I'll never play... I hate myself for it and will be in the process of selling them for quite some time. There was no question I was addicted to buying and collecting for no reason other than that feeling of purchasing something and getting it in the mail.

• Like 1

You guys are a bunch of liars. The real reasons are:

- you started collecting for the love and nostalgia, and if you’re still with it today, it’s because you’ve become masochists! (The pain when you part money from wallet/card; and the pain you’d get if the partner finds out how much you truly spent!)

- y’all want to become millionaires! (And go on Pawn Stars)

• Like 1