IGNORED

Silverspoon's Sunday Discussion Topic #7: What is your go to for gaming news?

SilverspoonGaming

I really don't like video game journalism nowadays. Too much pandering to the industry, clickbait, or fishing for stuff with no relation to actual games. 

My usual approach is just "hanging out" online with people who have a similar taste in game to mine, which will usually keep me up to date with the stuff relevant to me, while automatically skipping things like fortnite, mmos or or moba stuff or whatever people call all those things I have no interest in 😄

• Like 3

RetroRGB and My Life in Gaming for retro hardware and modding related news.

I also subscribe to the Polygon RSS feed, listen to the podcasts from Giant Bomb and CUPodcast. And of course, check this subforum on the daily, plus some various YouTube channels that produce quality content.

Between those, I haven't missed a beat for years. If something interesting happens or gets announced/released, I'm in the loop.

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

VGS and Youtube are my main sources for retro-game news.

I know a lot of people like to bash his Youtube channel, but I like (The Immortal) John Hancock's videos. He's just such an upbeat dude, and his gaming interests tend to intersect pretty closely with my own.

-CasualCart

On 4/25/2021 at 3:24 AM, erac said:

My interest is mostly in retro platforms, so retrorgb I guess, as well as specific sites for each platform. And I suppose I do check nintendolife about once a month for what's hot.

Curious to know what is "specific sites for each platform" as I didn't know there were sites specialized to older games.

As for myself, it really just comes down to whatever I happen to hear about. I am really far removed from current gaming; The newest non-nintendo console I own is a PS3, I rarely play my switch in all honesty, and I own a gaming PC, but I rarely play computer games newer than 2010.

The only thing I play that is recent is VR games. I have an oculus quest and that satisfies my needs. Even then I spend more time lately making games for it than actually playing it (I have a drifting stick, that's one reason).

I am pretty clueless when it comes to new releases. I don't feel it worthwhile to patronize game "writing" and I don't consider it worth my time to look for independent people on YouTube or wherever else (I don't care much for youtubers anyway).

I occasionally get emails from DailyBits, which is an email that keeps me sort of engaged. Occasionally I will also read Gematsu. They don't do much other than report game news from Japan. I like how it isn't failed journalism grads desperately clinging to the one entertainment writing job that didn't say no, but I barely look at it.

It comes down to feeling that with all the things going on in my life and in the world, knowing about the newest hot garbage to throw 60+ dollars at is low on my list.

Probably Nintendo Life, at least for modern games. That being said, I eventually came across one of their Super Mario Bros. articles which has a picture of one of my Animal Crossing videos:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/11/feature_whats_the_best_way_to_play_super_mario_bros_in_2020

super-mario-bros-via-animal-crossing-gam

Whatever. Not the first time I've been credited or mentioned in news articles.

As for the retro stuff, I watch Pat Contri's podcasts and visit long-running gaming websites that I've been visiting since the early 2000's (like the Mega Man Homepage and DK Vine).

Edited by MegaMan52

Those NES was the neatest perk EVER in the original Animal Crossing...and yet nothing like that has shown up in AC since. 😞   I mean what is there in the later AC's that you can get that cannot also be gotten in the original GC version?