IGNORED

Console Debate #25 CD-i

fox

How do you rate CD-i?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate CD-i?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/2021 at 07:00 AM

7 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

🤣

Obviously that's a no, just want to look at the few decent titles sitting on top of mounds of crap.

Edit:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_games

1756 official titles, maybe 100 are good? Not a large percentage for a GOAT machine...

Edited by fcgamer

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

You got me there.  Guess you can educate me on the library some time.

I apologize for sending your thread south @fox.  Sometimes I just can't help engaging this clown.  Especially if I'm a few beers deep😆

I thought about going for a full set of SFC titles a few years back, after finding several hundred for dirt cheap locally.

After looking at the list though and noticing the vast amount of Pachinko, sports, and other rubbish on the machine, I quickly dropped that idea and got out.

From what I've seen, the MD seems to have a much better ratio of good /average games to crap, and I don't even have any nostalgia towards it. 

Reasons such as this are why I personally feel SNES/SFC isn't as great as what it generally appears at first blush.

On 5/6/2021 at 1:36 AM, Sumez said:

I'll spoiler you, there are zero good games on CD-i

CD-i has Tetris. That looks okay just because it's Tetris.

Looks like there might be some other decent ports. Maybe there are no good exclusives.

CD-i Tetris is atrocious, yes, but it has the music going for it. Litil Divil and Apprentice are probably the closest you can get to originals titles that actually come across like a real game on the CD-i, but they are definitely not good games. On any other platform they'd get filed with the shovelware. Pac-Panic I'm not familiar with. (edit: Oh it's just Pac-Attack, lol)

Haven't played CD-i Lemmings either, but a port of a game that existed on a billion other platforms a few years before the console was even a thing, is hardly a draw. Same thing goes for Micro Machines.
Out of morbid curiosity, I'd like to at least try them though. There's something really awkward about how every game I've played on CD-i works, which makes it hard to believe a racing game could ever run fluidly on one.

Edited by Sumez

CD-i Tetris does look lame. How the heck do you mess that up?

Part of the problem is that the CD-i is more of an expensive general purpose "multimedia" machine than a game console. At that price you were better off spending a few hundred more and just getting a multimedia PC that would do everything better and with way more good games. As a historical curiosity from the 90s it's interesting.

Yeah, I think someone else pointed it out earlier, CD-i software is more like an elaborate DVD menu. It's got high graphical fidelity, but it's not really designed for fast paced games with quick scrolling and lots of moving objects. So that really limits what you could even do with it. It would still be a great platform for point 'n click style adventure games, but those obviously had a bigger market on the PC at this point in time.

24 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

How the heck do you mess that up?

You'd be surprised how many terrible Tetris variations there really are. 😄 
At its core, Tetris is always a great game, but man, there are so many small details that'll easily stick out when you're used to better versions, and you can tell if it's implemented by someone who doesn't understand the game well. CD-i is honestly far from the most offensive one.

Editorials Team · Posted
On 5/5/2021 at 9:13 PM, fcgamer said:

After looking at the list though and noticing the vast amount of Pachinko, sports, and other rubbish on the machine, I quickly dropped that idea and got out.

Okay, wait a minute...

Going on about how I don't know what I'm talking about because I haven't "looked at the SNES library closely enough" (😂), and yet your entire basis for all of this is that you "looked through a list" once... 

Yeah, I'm the one who's "spouting off".  Zero self-awareness over there 🤣

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Okay, wait a minute...

Going on about how I don't know what I'm talking about because I haven't "looked at the SNES library closely enough" (😂), and yet your entire basis for all of this is that you "looked through a list" once... 

Yeah, I'm the one who's "spouting off".  Zero self-awareness over there 🤣

Lol, playing a handful of top-tier games and calling it a day doesn't make you know the console's library. You gotta dig in, really see what's in that set.

I've been doing that exact thing for years. I've run across and have been forced to purchase hundreds and hundreds of games for this machine, and after so long, I just realised that it was shit being piled on top of more shit. That's when the situation came of looking through lists to become even more familiar with the console and it's games.

But on a console with about 1700 games or so in its entirety, there's going to be a ton of crap. Odds are not looking good for the SNES/SFC, my friend.

@Reed RothchildRothchild  I'll leave my previous response up there, which is how I personally came to determining the suckitude of the SNES/SFC, though similarly I need to amend things slightly as earlier tonight I made the discovery that you created a website about SNES game rankings, something I was unaware of until now.

You even mention yourself that there's a lot of bad games on the machine.

In all seriousness, I'm curious at which point in your rankings would you say that the console's games turn from fun to not much fun? 300 games in? 400? Over 500?

Even after playing all those games though, by ignoring the euro and Japanese exclusives, they make up over half the machine's library. I'd be curious as to what percentage of the library actually is "good", as there's gotta be tons of filler.

IMG_20210509_211312.jpg

9 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Have you seen his blog where he's been ranking every US released SNES game?

http://snesrankings.com/

Yup, read the post below the one you quoted. Just saw it today.

That being said, that's not even half of the console's library, and similarly enough, he also mentions on that page that many are very very * 20 bad.

Edit: It would be worth examining how many games in total (counting exclusives from all regions) every console has, and then examine the contents of those games, to determine how good the Macht actually is.

Lots of people shit on the N64 , though I think that it actually has to be doing quite well in terms of fun or average games to total crap. Super A'can has few games, and most of them seem to be nothing extraordinary, making it really not worth the price of admission; however, if everything is average or better, if we ignore cost, then the machine should actually rank higher than it does, on terms of quality of software that it does have.

Famicom / NES has a lot of crap on it, and SNES / SFC has yet even more crap. People that Choose to ignore that mound of crap are not being objective.

Edited by fcgamer

There are a LOT of bad games on almost any system, given it has a library that breaks into the 3+ figures easily.  fcgamer, usually on the same side here, but right now I feel you're full of crap and arguing for the sake of arguing.  I know some of the SFC side of SNES well, reed there knows the SNES very well given his years worth of research, play and archiving mini reviews of each title...he's current on the known, and current on how they could be seen as aged too.  Most the library of the SNES is *NOT* crap, and really saying such idiocy makes me question the real root cause.  This feels like a childish foot stomping of some dumb ass teenager or kid at the school yard getting all upset their Genesis(MD) just got threatened.  Oh yeah that mario is crap, sonic is soooo rad.

10 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

There are a LOT of bad games on almost any system, given it has a library that breaks into the 3+ figures easily.  fcgamer, usually on the same side here, but right now I feel you're full of crap and arguing for the sake of arguing.  I know some of the SFC side of SNES well, reed there knows the SNES very well given his years worth of research, play and archiving mini reviews of each title...he's current on the known, and current on how they could be seen as aged too.  Most the library of the SNES is *NOT* crap, and really saying such idiocy makes me question the real root cause.  This feels like a childish foot stomping of some dumb ass teenager or kid at the school yard getting all upset their Genesis(MD) just got threatened.  Oh yeah that mario is crap, sonic is soooo rad.

You do realise that on the poll, it's ranking the SNES/SFC together, right? Playing and ranking 700 games or so (the latter portion likely to be not very good), but even if half of the USA SNES library is amazing, that's still less than half of the console's entire game library.

I've said it for years that for a lot of franchises, the SNES counterparts felt lackluster to the NES / Famicom versions. Pretty graphics and a better sound chip don't equal better. That's my personal opinion, and I'm sure others will agree / disagree with me, which is all fine and dandy.

That being said, I've also seen (and unfortunately owned) stacks and stacks of crap Super Famicom carts. A boxed SFC machine, numerous controllers, 60 or so game carts, couldn't even sell it for $100. Ultimately sold it for about $60, just to get rid of it. Then again, if someone has only played 40% of the library, 700 or whatever out of 1700+, then they wouldn't know about this dark side.

And that's my issue. Everyone loves to endlessly praise this machine, despite not even looking beyond 2/5 of the machine's contents.

I'd reckon that the average person voting has played probably 15% of the library and voting that it's a superb machine off of that alone, and as someone that has unfortunately witnessed the darkest underbelly of the machine, I think SNES/SFC definitely should rank lower than where people place it. It's sort of like ranking an album high on the charts, but only two of the songs are good.

About the Mega Drive, because it has less shared franchises with the NES/FC, I don't feel as much regarding the games being lacking in terms of soul, compared to their earlier renditions. That being said, I haven't played the machine a lot, but with a library that's half the size of the SNES SFC, I'm sure that means half the crap too. 😉