IGNORED

Game Debate #46: Zelda II: The Adventure(s) of Link

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal thoughts on playing it, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Reminder that a 10/10 is merely one of your very favorite games of all time.

Reminder that 1/10 is trash, and if you try to question someone for giving the SNES this rating, the forums will be clogged with endless diatribe about it for the next fifty years...

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
30 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Reminder that 1/10 is trash, and if you try to question someone for giving the SNES this rating, the forums will be clogged with endless diatribe about it for the next fifty years...

Well, that was a clarification in response to Link's explanation for his 9, but, uh, sure dude.

And the debate threads are intended to, you know, stir debate.  Like, that was the whole point of me starting all of them once upon a time.  Or was there too much debate talk in those debate threads for you?

10 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Well, that was a clarification in response to Link's explanation for his 9, but, uh, sure dude.

And the debate threads are intended to, you know, stir debate.  Like, that was the whole point of me starting all of them once upon a time.  Or was there too much debate talk in those debate threads for you?

I guess I should have put one of these at the end of my post:  😛  Why does the internet have to be so serious?

😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 8:11 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

In all seriousness though, I would choose Advenutre Island 1, since it's really divisive, and also one of my favourite games of all time... 🙂

I love Adventure Island, but actually beating it was so exhausting that I've only ever done it once. I still enjoy playing from time to time for progress/high score. It's one of those games I'd love to 1cc someday but probably won't.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave this a 6.

What's good:

- Combat is engaging. Challenging variety of enemies and interesting boss fights. 

- Fun and rewarding experience system. Points are actually worth something.

- Exploration is great. Hints are helpful, and discovery is fun. A huge points bag or red potion or key could appear in a hard to reach area and it helps make navigating huge areas have a purpose. Towns are fun and relieving to visit. Game mostly justifies its epic length.

- Spells/magic are have interesting effects and encourage strategies. I feel like this aspect of the game gets overlooked.

- Combination of world map and side-scrolling that works well.

- Huge variety of things to earn and collect. The items in palaces mostly serve as keys to get from one place to another, but the power glove, upstab, and downstab are impactful additions that are constantly tied to gameplay.

- Gets more difficult as game progresses for the most part, not too imbalanced.

- Can save progress easily (though it can get erased sometimes).

- The music, graphics, story, environment and mood, etc. are competent.

What's bad:

- No checkpoints-- this is the game's chief flaw, especially earlier in the game when the player has to go through the same caves and fields over and over again. Having to get all the way back to the hammer caves, and Palaces 2 and 4 are particularly tedious. They should have had checkpoints at the towns maybe, or at least an easier way to earn more lives. But they at least made the hammer, raft, flute etc. bypass these areas later in the game to get the player back (relatively) quickly to where they were.

- Brutal difficulty at times. Some enemies are tough to learn how to fight effectively. Platforming jumps can be frustrating and cause easy deaths. Cheap floor traps, but these are kind of rare, only in the last 2 palaces I think?

- Game can feel tedious and repetitive in some parts.

- Experience system can sometimes encourage monotonous grinding when the player feels stuck. 

Edited by Optomon
  • Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, Estil said:

I take it you're rating Zelda 2 a 1/10 because you don't get to bust some Dodongos? 😄

Just a joke based on current events at the time on VGS.  I haven't played Zelda II, but looking to rectify that soon.  I thoroughly enjoyed Faxanadu, so I hope I enjoy this equally. 

• Haha 1