IGNORED

Game Debate #46: Zelda II: The Adventure(s) of Link

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal thoughts on playing it, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

I like it much more than most of the Zelda series, which at this point isn't really saying much considering how awful things would become.  Still, this is one of the good ones that was made back when nintendo didn't give a fuck about pissing people off with a real challenge.

7/10.

• Like 3

Easily in my top 30 of NES games.

It's a bit wonky at times, and some of the dominant strategies for the game are counterintuitive to the intented way to play it, despite being almost necessary for survival. But overall it's super enjoyable and satisfying. I like it way better than the first Zelda game.

I love that you can just leg it to Death Mountain almost immediately and then on to the dungeon that gives you the downstab, before doing the other dungeons you're "expected" to beforehand. Getting the downstab massively improves the game, so the earlier you can do it, the more fun you'll have.

Yeah it's a really good game! Plays well and looks great! I definitely like it better than the first one. Some parts are a bit too hard tho, IMO. It's tough to get your health back, and you need a guide to figure out a lot of what to do.

I beat it on 3DS using save states, but I'll probably never bother to do it properly. I would be ALL OVER a remake with decent QOL improvements. 7/10

The one Zelda game I cannot beat even with save states, it is just way too damn hard. I can respect Nintendo for trying something different with the sequel to The Legend of Zelda, but I personally do not feel that everything in the game works. The random battles are really annoying, especially in those cases it brings you to areas that have nothing on them. The fact that for most of the game if you die you start all the way back at the first temple is terrible. Death Mountain is a nightmare without a guide and even then, it is still a long slog. 

For me it is the worst of the Nintendo-published Zelda games. A 5/10 for me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Inzoreno said:

The fact that for most of the game if you die you start all the way back at the first temple is terrible.

That's only true if you game over, and if it does happen the trek back is never that bad because you keep all your tiems. It would be bad if it happened at the final temple, but they conveniently changed the restart point there.

8 for me.  At the time it came out, I liked it more than the original.  As time has gone on, I think I like the original a bit better, but this game is still easily recommended due to the differences from the rest of the Zelda series and the gameplay.  I actually just started playing it again recently and I am having more fun with it than I did back in the late 80s.  😄

Coming from someone who didn't play it until being an adult, the best I can give it is a 5.  It would have probably been a 7 or 8 if I beat it as a kid, but it's tough-as-nails in many spots, confusing on where to go next without a faq and I just didn't have time to keep piddling away at it.  I got about half way through it.

I didn't have any beef with how different it was from the original, though.  I thought it was a bold move to make the game so different from the first, but a worthwhile one.  I could easily see this being a favorited Zelda title if  they had balanced out the difficulty a bit better.  Regardless of my gripes, I still think it's a must-play for Zelda fans or retro gaming enthusiasts. Play Zelda 1 then Zelda 2 and appreciate the creativity and diversity in game design.

• Like 1

Zelda II isn't quite as easy to jump into as the original but if the player goes into it with a bit of patience and takes time to learn the new workings, it is a fun game. Unwitting players can find themselves bullied into submission in a few places, if they aren't prepared for them and the final palace is a nightmare if you go into it blind. That said, the remainder of the game has some decent exploration, combat that requires skill and strategy and an interesting twist in the Experience and Magic systems. It isn't the "classic" that the original (or even A Link to the Past) became, as it goes off into some experimental territory but it is still a solidly-made adventure game that is worth playing even today.

7/10

Edited by Webhead123

Ah the only Zelda I've never beaten. Not because it's too hard, even though it is pretty hard, every time I go back to it I just lose interest shortly after and I never end up making any progress. I want to go back and actually beat it one day but who knows when. I think it's an okay game overall but it's just not one I particularly enjoy.

3 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

This game shouldn't even be called zelda. It's NES rambo wearing a peter pan costume. Worst game EVER. 🤮

i remeber when no one i knew said they like this game. now everyone comes out like oh ya this game was great.

this game sucks. i tried  to play it just the other day testing for sale. what a shit bag of a game rotfl.

• Thanks 1
  • Eyeroll 2

• The title was changed to Game Debate #46: Zelda II: The Adventure(s) of Link

Didn't the creator of zelda even hate this game? Be honest with yourself, the true sequel of the legend of zelda is a link to the past. This game blows. I had one friend that liked this game as a kid and I'm pretty sure he's living in a van down by the river now.

And probably drinks natty ice like @docile tapeworm

And also has a neck beard with psoriasis like @docile tapeworm they all coincide with playing this game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1