IGNORED

Refinancing student loans, any tips or advice

LeatherRebel5150

My partner and I refinanced both of our college loans in early 2020.  We used SoFi/MOHELA to do it, and aside from consolidating various lenders into a single payment for each of us, we also got very good interest rates.  We both took 5-year terms, but there were other options. 

Events Team · Posted

Similar to @VegHead, I consolidated/refinanced in 2019 through Laurel Road/Mohela for a 5 year term.  Looked at SoFi and a couple others.  Laurel Road gave me the best rate for the payments I wanted to make.

Stellar customer service from their end.  Nelnet fucked up and returned the initial payoff and gave me some fierce runaround but LR did everything they could to get it corrected.  

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Californication said:

I've been thinking about refinancing because the low interest rates, but with the Biden administration under constant pressure about getting rid of publicly owned student debt, I am not going to take the risk of refinancing atm.

I have federal loans too that Im not going to refinance for that reason. But from what I understand whatever he does wouldn’t affect the private loans

to @JamesRobotand @VegHeaddid you guys refinance federal loans? because I think only my federal loans show up on Mohela paperwork.