IGNORED

Console Debate #24 NES/FAMICOM

fox

How do you rate NES/FamiCom?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate NES/FamiCom?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 04:59 PM

12 minutes ago, Estil said:

I didn't really say super unpopular as such, I just mean that the GC ended up not even being able to beat the upstart Xbox in the US.

And yes, one of the most undeniable truths of video gaming life.  The success or failure of any console/handheld comes down not just to the games in general, but to the exclusive ones.

I know you didn't use the word super, and yes I'm well-aware that it didn't do as well as PS2 or even quite as well as Xbox. I'm just saying I can remember that era well: the GameCube still had a reasonable amount of hype and several people (both people I knew as well as people online) were upset that certain games such as Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Rouge Leader, and Rebel Strike weren't released for the other consoles leading several to buy a GameCube later on. And by later on I mean 2005/2006, still during the era.

Edited by MegaMan52

Just now, MegaMan52 said:

I know you didn't use the word super, and yes I'm well-aware that it didn't as well as PS2 or even quite as well as Xbox. But I can remember that era well: the GameCube still had a reasonable amount of hype and several people (both people I knew as well as people online) were upset that certain games such as Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Rouge Leader, and Rebel Strike were released for the other consoles leading several to buy a GameCube later on. And by later on I mean 2005/2006, still during the era.

Maybe the Wii was the video game equivalent of "The Surge" that happened right around that same time if I'm still going with the whole President analogies thing 🙂  Obviously I don't mean this kind of Surge...

1 minute ago, Estil said:

Maybe the Wii was the video game equivalent of "The Surge" that happened right around that same time if I'm still going with the whole President analogies thing 🙂  Obviously I don't mean this kind of Surge...

I meant before the Wii was released, but thanks for sharing retro commercials.

This website wouldn't exist without it. 10/10

It really brought home video games from mostly simple arcade format into other genres it has no contest.

If I would talk anything negative is that the constrictive Nintendo licenses that hampered its library (especially limiting Famicom games porting over), the finicky cartridge ports on the toasters,  and the huge amount of games not really worth playing anymore. Still, glad I collected for it and I am too stubborn to cash out.

Edited by asmikace
  • Like 3

Graphics Team · Posted

The NES is my favorite console, and the expanded software-library of the Famicom just makes it the gift that keeps on giving.

I love the simplicity of the game mechanics, the diversity and progression of genres, and the aesthetics of 8-bit graphics and sound. Two action buttons are all you need for an excellent game.

I don't like the NES or Famicom hardware designs, though (the only exception being the NES Advantage - that thing is sick).

-CasualCart

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I don't like the NES or Famicom hardware designs,

Yeah, I've never been a huge fan of the gray box. I know what they were going for, and I don't hate it, but it has issues. Toploader would be better if it had AV output out of the box. I like the large NES cartridges, even if they're mostly air inside. Famicom carts I like for different reasons. 

The Famicom, especially the original, is a very Japan-centric design. It was intended for you to play with it next to you rather than putting it on top of the TV or on the stand or whatever. Probably a concept held over from Pong and other early home console days, as most of those were also played closer to the gamer.

I love the original controller, though. Just something about that gray brick with four buttons and a d-pad. It's not ergonomic, but it still feels fine. The buttons feel good, the d-pad is good.

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted
19 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, I've never been a huge fan of the gray box. I know what they were going for, and I don't hate it, but it has issues. Toploader would be better if it had AV output out of the box. I like the large NES cartridges, even if they're mostly air inside. Famicom carts I like for different reasons. 

The Famicom, especially the original, is a very Japan-centric design. It was intended for you to play with it next to you rather than putting it on top of the TV or on the stand or whatever. Probably a concept held over from Pong and other early home console days, as most of those were also played closer to the gamer.

I love the original controller, though. Just something about that gray brick with four buttons and a d-pad. It's not ergonomic, but it still feels fine. The buttons feel good, the d-pad is good.

True - I do like the cartridges and controller for the most part, but I still think they could've been even simpler - more like first-party Atari 2600 carts and having the standard brick control pad decal-free like the dogbone. Minor gripes, though. And the stock Famicom carts would be nearly perfect if they had end-labels.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CasualCart said:

(the only exception being the NES Advantage - that thing is sick).

As someone who really likes arcade sticks in general, I can't even disagree. The NES Advantage has a super bad-ass design that's really been able to stand the test of time. It's both unique and rad.

I really wish it was better in terms of build quality. Functioning like a normal gamepad with the rubber padsunder the buttons isn't great for a product like this. A real quality joystick with four individual microswitches next to a set of more responsive pushbuttons would make for what could easily have been my favourite arcade stick controller of all time. And it's not even possible to mod it due to how thin it is. You can't fit a real arcade joystick in there. (I've seen some partly succesful attempts at it here and there, but those all involve some crazy craftmanship)

• Like 2

9/10 easily. While there are entries to series I like more then their later counter parts (SMB3 vs SMW, Castlevania 3 vs Super Castlevania 4) I still overall prefer the SNES (and Gamecube) & games over it personally. Also thinking on it really not a fan of the degrade in the pins in an out of the box NES.

Though man, SMB3 is one of my Top 10 favorites.

• Like 1

10/10 - This "debate" I'm sure a lot of us were waiting for doesn't disappoint.

Not much I can add to what's been said.  The results speak for themselves: As of this post, we have 40/45 votes of at least a nine or a ten, with 24 tens.

In case it matters I'll point out that I'm in the camp that plans on only giving out one ten, so here I go.

NES, greatest console of all time.

• Like 5

There's nothing I can add that hadn't been said already or will I'd type but it's late.  I gave it a 9 though, after all these years looking back I find it hard to choose between that and the SNES so I couldn't give either a 10 likely, though if I did, SNES would be it due to improvement/refinement alone by a small margin.

• Like 1

I give it 8/10.

So... I am turning 40 this year. I literally grew up right along side the "video game revolution". I have owned the Atari 2600, NES, Gameboy, SNES, Sega Genesis, Gameboy Advance, N64, Playstation, Game Cube, Playstation 2 (several), and for a hot minute... a Sega Dreamcast. I have not personally bought a new console since my last PS2, but I have played them all. I now am getting back into video games in my spare time but primarily on my PC. I LOVED the NES when I was a kid. Easily one of the watershed moments of the video game industry was the introduction of the NES. No argument there. But... does that single fact automatically make it the GOAT? I think not. Because, lets be fair, the thing also had a host of issues that Nintendo in some ways created for the system by its design choices, and hardware decisions.

To make myself completely clear tho... I don't put ANY system into the "perfect 10" category. I think that is fallacy. Because as new technologies come out, game play develop, and creators get more creative, the whole industry has to shift to meet the ever changing landscape. I mean... you just can't put a NES next to a PS5 and go "which one is better?" It's asinine. That's like comparing a Model T to a Tesla. The two reside in completely different realms of realities and are very much products of their times despite having their roots in the same humble beginnings. The NES was the best of it's TIME. But That was what it was... OF it's time. I still think people should check it out. It can be hours of good old fun. But let's not sanctify something just because it has boat loads of nostalgic value attached to it. I also put the SNES and the N64 at the 8/10 spot with the NES. The NES is just the progenitor of arguably the best known video game company there is. It made "Nintendo" a household name. Still not a GOAT tho. Sorry.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rdrunner said:

10/10 - This "debate" I'm sure a lot of us were waiting for doesn't disappoint.

Not much I can add to what's been said.  The results speak for themselves: As of this post, we have 40/45 votes of at least a nine or a ten, with 24 tens.

In case it matters I'll point out that I'm in the camp that plans on only giving out one ten, so here I go.

NES, greatest console of all time.

The greatest NES player of all time gives a 10 to the greatest console of all time. 🙃

• Like 1