IGNORED

Gameboy Game Catalog.

Was notified of a new catalog of Gameboy DMG games.  According to the author his team was able to locate all game with variants.  It will be on kick starter soon.  here are a few examples of the book.

@RpgCollector did you have a hand in this????

Will keep you updated when it goes live on Kickstarter.

174003323_10165213565990068_1717113069624058569_n.jpg.5e516cdc5eacde0fb51e596271f38ff3.jpg173127858_10165213566530068_2477001435617383747_n.jpg.a8ddd3cc9d936f0ef2fb7b07ae579108.jpg173972456_10165213566535068_2046797783635742396_n.jpg.327dff26befd0ef459e1b19c0a47f82c.jpg173354993_10165213565705068_1222954320853144063_n.jpg.9bcd74bdacc354584a5a573b2b0d9c2a.jpg174216558_10165213566855068_1539439956658705368_n.jpg.53b1186b8d5bef19042f3322cb7aa710.jpg173951845_10165213566850068_7002273844204161613_n.jpg.1e60f97cf5839f85522da4fbc87ee0e4.jpg

4 minutes ago, portabello said:

Looks cool. I’m surprised no one has done this sooner!

it was done.  they just took it to the next level, but i very seriously think they don't have all variants.  as only recently we found the 2 and 3 line variants and that has expanded to the world listing count form just at 7500 games.  looking forward to seeing the catalog... it will help quite bit for the DMG collectors....  this is only the loose cart book they are thinking of doing a box variant but unsure...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JVOSS said:

Was notified of a new catalog of Gameboy DMG games.  According to the author his team was able to locate all game with variants.  It will be on kick starter soon.  here are a few examples of the book.

@RpgCollector did you have a hand in this????

Will keep you updated when it goes live on Kickstarter.

174003323_10165213565990068_1717113069624058569_n.jpg.5e516cdc5eacde0fb51e596271f38ff3.jpg173127858_10165213566530068_2477001435617383747_n.jpg.a8ddd3cc9d936f0ef2fb7b07ae579108.jpg173972456_10165213566535068_2046797783635742396_n.jpg.327dff26befd0ef459e1b19c0a47f82c.jpg173354993_10165213565705068_1222954320853144063_n.jpg.9bcd74bdacc354584a5a573b2b0d9c2a.jpg174216558_10165213566855068_1539439956658705368_n.jpg.53b1186b8d5bef19042f3322cb7aa710.jpg173951845_10165213566850068_7002273844204161613_n.jpg.1e60f97cf5839f85522da4fbc87ee0e4.jpg

I had 0 to do with this and that is why the USA list is not even close to complete unless they are only going by - variants.

Don’t collect the rest of the world so no clue on that.

Edited by RpgCollector
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JVOSS said:

it was done.  they just took it to the next level, but i very seriously think they don't have all variants.  as only recently we found the 2 and 3 line variants and that has expanded to the world listing count form just at 7500 games.  looking forward to seeing the catalog... it will help quite bit for the DMG collectors....  this is only the loose cart book they are thinking of doing a box variant but unsure...

100% guarantee they are missing 30% of the box variants for USA. As far as I know I have the only list.  I saw their list (if it is our French friends) and they are missing a ton.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RpgCollector said:

I had 0 to do with this and that is why the USA list is not even close to complete unless they are only going by - variants.

Don’t collect the rest of the world so no clue on that.

Makes me feel like it's pointless to do a book like this if you can't really guarantee it will have everything

• Like 1

Oh, you sweet summer child.

It's better to do a book like this if you can't really guarantee it will have everything, because then you can print a FULLY REVISED EDITION every couple of years and get everyone to pay up again!

This was the best racket in publishing for a century, until the internet came along and ruined it. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RpgCollector said:

100% guarantee they are missing 30% of the box variants for USA. As far as I know I have the only list.  I saw their list (if it is our French friends) and they are missing a ton.

Yes but good on them to put this together

"private pessimistic but openly optimistic."

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, AdamW said:

It's better to do a book like this if you can't really guarantee it will have everything, because then you can print a FULLY REVISED EDITION every couple of years and get everyone to pay up again!

This was the best racket in publishing for a century, until the internet came along and ruined it. 😄

😠 angry face only because it's true....

Edited by JVOSS

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

Makes me feel like it's pointless to do a book like this if you can't really guarantee it will have everything

1 hour ago, AdamW said:

This is a type of thing that makes a good e-Book  Buy a hard copy, and you always have the ability to download the revisions.  If the revisions get printed, well, it makes sense having to charge for that again.  I prefer physical over digital for just about anything where that applies, but with a compendium like this then, yes, I'd love to have a digital manual that's periodically updated.

Also, @JVOSS, can I get the link to this?  Even if it's incomplete, I'm still quite interested.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RpgCollector said:

I am just jealous. I have been putting together the same book, but for USA box/manual/cart variants only (not the world, good on them for tackling that).

I found that it is a never ending process though. Every time I thought I had them all, I find anther 2 or 3 variant's (especially box variants).

See my comments.  Maybe make the book, print it and print a second edition in 3-4 years.  I know internationals aren't your jam, but maybe have a section on rare, international exclusives, protos and throw some interviews in there, and you might have a product that sets yours apart.  If you have more data, I'd prefer yours anyway.

Alternatively, sell it first as an e-book, and then if/when people see they your info is "better", kickstart a printed campaign with all updated details.  I'd back it, maybe even at a $100-200 tier for a fellow VGS collector.

44 minutes ago, RH said:

See my comments.  Maybe make the book, print it and print a second edition in 3-4 years.  I know internationals aren't your jam, but maybe have a section on rare, international exclusives, protos and throw some interviews in there, and you might have a product that sets yours apart.  If you have more data, I'd prefer yours anyway.

Alternatively, sell it first as an e-book, and then if/when people see they your info is "better", kickstart a printed campaign with all updated details.  I'd back it, maybe even at a $100-200 tier for a fellow VGS collector.

the very first edition of a "collectors" catalog was done back in 2010 IRC the person who did this was at a 90% accurate with the data that was available at the time.   The original is available for free here Dadda Rulekonge, His list is the bases for my list... of course I have add to his and have been for the better part of 8 years.  However an author on his own can only do so much.  The Team that built this "catalog" of world list started on limited form with FAH and work from there.  Their story or data is at http://www.game-boy-database.com.  this site started with one man listing what he had asking other to provide photo for proof and then added that data to the list. it took about a year then when down i was under the impression that he went the way of NA but he reappeared saying a "team" had taken over and was going do a 2.0 web version. Last week the site posted the samples of a catalog.... 

i do remember someone here, (on vgs) that dose a pod cast, saying to ditch all your list and if you really wanted a list then publish it and update as you go.  or something to that. in the same podcast said that game tracking apps are all junk.

would love to hear their take on this. 

Hi all !

I am Guigui48 from the site www.game-boy-database.com, and one of the creators of the project.
I have been collecting DMG (all global variants) for over 15 years, and have a small collection of over 1000 CIB games. Besides, I know some of you ^^
First of all, well done for your work, and excuse me in advance for my English.
I will clarify some points!
So first some numbers.
On the site which references box variations, we are indeed at more than 4850 different boxes. We estimate between 10,000 and 12,000 the number of box variants in the world.
No, the project is not only French, we were helped by American, Chinese, Italian collectors ...
For the cartridges, we worked as follows:
We have referenced more than 3580 cartridges (the 91 CHNs, more than 600 for the USA, etc.). We also did the LTN, KOR, ROC, brazil etc ... All this on more than 300 pages in A4 format.
Regarding the variations of the 2 player logo, the number registered or pcb, misprint, we detail all this at the end of the book.
On the 3580 variations, we do not detail for example the case of Malibu Beach Volleyball with logo 2 different players, but we are just talking about it.
It's not impossible that we are missing some variation, but we believe we are close to 99.9%.
For example, we have very blurry photos of Skate or die and Nemesis GPS, but without clearer evidence we choose not to put them.
We know that the blue Pokemon ITA-1 exists, but no trace of the red Pokemon in ITA-1, so we do not put, so that the information is as reliable as possible.
If we had forgotten something ...:
For that, at the end of the book there will be a system of panini-like stickers where the kickstarters can make the book evolve.
The book is divided into three parts:
1) Cartridges zone by zone (FAH, ITA, CHN, KOR, NOE, Not for resale, ...)
2) A section "to go further" where we detail Sachen, Wisdom Tree, ...
3) The official list of 1079 games (to be discussed .. is Pocket sonar a game? Are Mc Donald Land and Spot the cool adventure the same games? For us yes).
Do not hesitate if you need more questions.
Thanks everyone!

Edited by dmgdatabase
  • Like 2

Okay, here goes. I don't want to be that guy, but I'll gladly do so, as I think being a bit abrasive and pointing out some criticism can sometimes lead to a better project, whether this time around or for next time.

1.  The thing that immediately rubs be wrong right off the bat is how this book is being advertised as a 100% complete source. Some of you here probably remember that I had been working on a Famicom book about five years ago, which was going for 100% complete. I silently shelved it for the time being as I later realized I wouldn't be able to get it to 100% or even 99.9%, and for some other pragmatic reasons. Anyways, my problem with this statement is two-fold:

a.  Despite wanting to be "modest" (picture 1), it sounds very, very arrogant. I hope that it's just a poor expression of English since it's not the authors' native language, so I can give that a pass.

b. More disturbing though is that such a lofty claim isn't even true! Going back to the anecdote about my own project, back around 2016 or so I thought I had about 98% known and documented, of Famicom stuff that fit the scope of my book. Sitting here in 2021, I have since that point accumulated so many titles that would definitely had made it into my book. With Game Boy it's the same thing. New stuff is getting discovered every day, especially when it's on such a grandiose scale as this. That brings us to "c".

c. @JVOSS wasn't involved in the project. Neither was @RpgCollector . Without these guys being involved, my hopes are immediately dashed as to the accuracy and comprehensiveness of the project. Similarly, I feel very fearful to even see the contents of the sections regarding the Taiwanese stuff. The only message I ever received was about six weeks back from a member, asking if I could take pictures of some Sachen games for use in the project. I couldn't help because those games had been sold long ago, but ironically enough, the reason I had sold those games was because they were GBC releases packaged in leftover (?) GB b/w shells and boxes. So if we really wanted to get technical about it (and personally, I would, for a project like this) to include those in the book would have been simply wrong 😉

2. So that's my issue. If you are going for accuracy, you should reach out to collectors early, not just weeks before you plan to launch the thing. Have you reached out to collectors in South America? Africa? Eastern Europe? etc etc etc. Well if you missed contacting major collectors like the names I mentioned earlier, or even myself, then I honestly question how many people were reached out to. Anecdote time, once again: a few years back some enterprising folks decided to take one of those complete Japanese Famicom cartridge guides, translate it into Chinese, and then release it in Taiwan. For the Taiwan market, they then added an additional brochure "book" featuring Taiwanese games, such as Sachen, etc. It was very, very incomplete, they couldn't even source pictures of everything and some of the pictures they did source were of non-collector / print quality, i.e. heavily sunfaded, etc. It was honestly a hot mess and total garbage, I got it for free from a friend for doing a favor, but if I would have bought it, I would have returned it to the store immediately. But somehow the folks leading the project failed to get in touch with one of the largest collectors on the island, despite knowing who he is.

3. The take-away:  The project has potential, it looks more or less nice (I'm honestly not a fan of the apparent wonkiness of the images though). Yeah, I'll likely purchase a copy at some point. 

That said, I think it's a modest attempt that will be quickly outdated and inaccurate, leaving room for someone else to take it as a base, polish it, and then release a much more accurate 99.9% comprehensive product in a few years. If you reached out to more collectors during the research period, this could have been avoided and your book could have become the "standard", but I think it's a bit late for that, and by billing yourselves as having it at 99.9-100% completion already, without even speaking with some large collectors/researchers/preservationists , I know that I for one am going to be looking very carefully to see the titles that have been missed. 😉

modest.jpg

5.jpg

4 minutes ago, dmgdatabase said:

no they re not in different sizes, we used photoshop, but it needs more finitions...

They are definitely in different sizes on that picture though. Look at the carts on the top to those on the bottom.

edit: Okay the post above clears it up. Just the picture posted earlier looks as though they are different sizes.

Edited by fcgamer

19 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Okay, here goes. I don't want to be that guy, but I'll gladly do so, as I think being a bit abrasive and pointing out some criticism can sometimes lead to a better project, whether this time around or for next time.

1.  The thing that immediately rubs be wrong right off the bat is how this book is being advertised as a 100% complete source. Some of you here probably remember that I had been working on a Famicom book about five years ago, which was going for 100% complete. I silently shelved it for the time being as I later realized I wouldn't be able to get it to 100% or even 99.9%, and for some other pragmatic reasons. Anyways, my problem with this statement is two-fold:

a.  Despite wanting to be "modest" (picture 1), it sounds very, very arrogant. I hope that it's just a poor expression of English since it's not the authors' native language, so I can give that a pass.

b. More disturbing though is that such a lofty claim isn't even true! Going back to the anecdote about my own project, back around 2016 or so I thought I had about 98% known and documented, of Famicom stuff that fit the scope of my book. Sitting here in 2021, I have since that point accumulated so many titles that would definitely had made it into my book. With Game Boy it's the same thing. New stuff is getting discovered every day, especially when it's on such a grandiose scale as this. That brings us to "c".

c. @JVOSS wasn't involved in the project. Neither was @RpgCollector . Without these guys being involved, my hopes are immediately dashed as to the accuracy and comprehensiveness of the project. Similarly, I feel very fearful to even see the contents of the sections regarding the Taiwanese stuff. The only message I ever received was about six weeks back from a member, asking if I could take pictures of some Sachen games for use in the project. I couldn't help because those games had been sold long ago, but ironically enough, the reason I had sold those games was because they were GBC releases packaged in leftover (?) GB b/w shells and boxes. So if we really wanted to get technical about it (and personally, I would, for a project like this) to include those in the book would have been simply wrong 😉

2. So that's my issue. If you are going for accuracy, you should reach out to collectors early, not just weeks before you plan to launch the thing. Have you reached out to collectors in South America? Africa? Eastern Europe? etc etc etc. Well if you missed contacting major collectors like the names I mentioned earlier, or even myself, then I honestly question how many people were reached out to. Anecdote time, once again: a few years back some enterprising folks decided to take one of those complete Japanese Famicom cartridge guides, translate it into Chinese, and then release it in Taiwan. For the Taiwan market, they then added an additional brochure "book" featuring Taiwanese games, such as Sachen, etc. It was very, very incomplete, they couldn't even source pictures of everything and some of the pictures they did source were of non-collector / print quality, i.e. heavily sunfaded, etc. It was honestly a hot mess and total garbage, I got it for free from a friend for doing a favor, but if I would have bought it, I would have returned it to the store immediately. But somehow the folks leading the project failed to get in touch with one of the largest collectors on the island, despite knowing who he is.

3. The take-away:  The project has potential, it looks more or less nice (I'm honestly not a fan of the apparent wonkiness of the images though). Yeah, I'll likely purchase a copy at some point. 

That said, I think it's a modest attempt that will be quickly outdated and inaccurate, leaving room for someone else to take it as a base, polish it, and then release a much more accurate 99.9% comprehensive product in a few years. If you reached out to more collectors during the research period, this could have been avoided and your book could have become the "standard", but I think it's a bit late for that, and by billing yourselves as having it at 99.9-100% completion already, without even speaking with some large collectors/researchers/preservationists , I know that I for one am going to be looking very carefully to see the titles that have been missed. 😉

modest.jpg

5.jpg

I read your thread. Who asked you for sachen games ?

Just a precision, we talk about 99,99%  of official releases.Sachen was not official.

Collectors who made this book are for example RPGHCG, guigui48, eegbor, unexist, i ll let you check on google, but serious colecltors.

If you wanna hear them (french sound) :

last thing about missing games :

all lists were built from worldwide collectors who helped us through our collections, this project, and database. Lists have been built since more than 10 years.

Edited by dmgdatabase

27 minutes ago, dmgdatabase said:

I read your thread. Who asked you for sachen games ?

Just a precision, we talk about 99,99%  of official releases.Sachen was not official.

Collectors who made this book are for example RPGHCG, guigui48, eegbor, unexist, i ll let you check on google, but serious colecltors.

If you wanna hear them (french sound) :

last thing about missing games :

all lists were built from worldwide collectors who helped us through our collections, this project, and database. Lists have been built since more than 10 years.

One of your team.

Also you may think to reword your introduction on the page, because it is not clear at all that you only mean 100% of official releases (which still is a lofty goal).

My point still stands though, there's a lot of serious collectors that weren't involved, I honestly have little faith that this is at 100% or even 99.9%.