IGNORED

Exceptional Western dev'd retro games?

Nintegageo

The Donkey Kong Country trilogy would definitely be at the top of my list.

Out of This World and Flashback were two games I really loved. (I would get the Genesis versions of both of these over the SNES)

Blizzard made some really good SNES games back before they were known as Blizzard - Rock 'n Roll Racing and Blackthorne were great.

Some really good platformers are Cool Spot, Aladdin (Genesis) and the Earthworm Jim games. I wouldn't say any of these are exceptional, but they're all close, in my opinion.

Couldn't think of any NES games, to be honest, outside of Rare's works. And not even all of their stuff was very good. Western developers really struggled with the NES for some reason.

I know this has diverted over to DOS/WIN95/ IBM-Compatible (still use this term at Best Buy to confuse the hell out of the younger millenial/gen z employees...yeah, I can be a-holey), but whole-heartedly agree with:

X-wing, TIE Fighter, EVERY Lucas Arts adventure (1st Monkey Island is on Sega CD and had a recent re-release from Limited Run), Civilization 1 & 2 (1 is on SNES, right?), Colonization (still play this one regularly via GOG), Pirates (also on NES), Pirates Gold (on Sega Genesis).  Add to the list all Ultimas up to 7 (8 is OK, 9 was a mess, and I know some of these made it to the NES and SNES), Ultima Underworld spin-off series, the INFOCOM text adventures, and, my favorite DOS/WIN95 series back then: Wing Commander (on SNES as well!).

Just reflecting back, the consoles were definitely the domain of the Japanese devs while the PCs were the domain of the Western devs.  I am sure the MSX had good Japanese-developed computer games, but I never got to see them nor knew anyone who had back then!

Edited by Sumer
  • Like 1

Well I don't want to ruin it seeing others posts.  I'm also intentionally going to mostly stick to PC as I think most will just go with console/handheld stuff.

In no particular order I think it's safe to say some stuff here most would probably agree with or, at least remember and consider.

• Wing Commander (series)
  • Silicon & Synapse stuff(pre Blizzard) - Rock N Roll Racing, Lost Vikings, Blackthorne
  • Also early Blizzard Warcraft+Diablo 1+2 (PC, Mac, Console)
  • Donkey Kong Country/Land trilogies
  • Lucasarts (Star Wars games XW, TIE, Dark Forces) (SCUMM games Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis+Sam & Max)
  • Maxis games (Sim City franchise)
  • Interplay/Star Trek aka: 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites --quality writing, even TOS writers a bit)
  • 3D Realms/Apogee - Duke Nukem 1+2+3D, Rise of the Triad
  • iD Software (Commander Keen, Wolf3D, Ultimate Doom 1+2+Final, Quake 1)
  • Heretic and Hexen (Raven Software/iD)
  • King's Quest V
  • Leisure Suit Larry (especially 6)
  • Command & Conquer 1, Dune II (Westwood Studios)
  • Civilization 1 and 2 (DOS/Win)
  • Epic Pinball & Silverball (various tables)
  • Lemmings
  • Star Control 2 (and 1)
  • Turok 1+2
  • Out of This World/Flashback (Delphine Software)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Star Control 2 (and 1)

Holy crap...how did I forgot this on my list???  Yes, Star Control II...phenomenal!  It even made its way to consoles via the 3DO.  Star Control 1 was also decent (though it lacked a story...but that was pretty much conveyed in the instruction manual).  Star Control 1 made it to the Genesis.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sumez said:

Japanese developed game designed for the western market 😄

Too bad it never did see a Japanese release, maybe we would have had more sequels, and better ones than the single one we got.

Still counts as far as I'm concerned lol

I feel like Nintendo could revive it and use it as a "testing grounds" for later Zelda games or something, idk. Seems like I heard they did that for Mario games, using another franchise to test mechanics? Or maybe I'm just crazy lol