IGNORED

Silverspoon's Sunday Discussion Topic #5: What Console or Handheld had the Coolest Name?

SilverspoonGaming

I have always loved the name of the Sega Saturn.  Atari Jaguar would be my 2nd place finisher, but Sega had great names for a little while in the 90's as Genesis was a solid name, and 32X sounded cool, but the Saturn is the ultimate console name.  Had the Neptune been released, I dont feel like it sounds as good.

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I always thought Playstation was a pretty cool name. I guess Sony did too since they kept it for all of their consoles after the original. 

I debated on the same answer.  And it was the PlayStation.  Capitalize that S.  Also, I loved the abbreviation "PSX".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RH said:

I debated on the same answer.  And it was the PlayStation.  Capitalize that S.  Also, I loved the abbreviation "PSX".

Funny you mention that since I usually catch myself slipping not capitalizing the S. PSX sounded cool too, although I usually saw that as a written abbreviation instead of people actually saying it.  

Administrator · Posted

I also like WonderSwan, and in particular, the SwanCrystal. 

And I think Sega definitely had more unique / interesting names for the systems, most of which I like very much.  Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast, were all pretty good names IMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacepup said:

And I think Sega definitely had more unique / interesting names for the systems, most of which I like very much.  Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast, were all pretty good names IMO

I like those, too, but Sega also had the Mark III, Sega CD, and 32X. They were pretty hit and miss.

Gizmondo!  It just stands out to me and sounded very hip for it's time. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Runner up would be Atari Jaguar which was a system I wanted as a kid just based on the look and name of the console alone.

I will also second that Sega probably was the best at naming consoles - Dreamcast, Saturn and Genesis are up there with the best.

Edited by AstralSoul

4 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Nothing irritates me more than someone referring to the PS1 as the PSX.  The PSX was a different console completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a pet peeve for me as well, although I've learned to live with it.  It's so common place now, it's not worth correcting anyone.  However, I will never use it that way myself.  

• Like 1

I try not to think of console names too hard because so many of them are awful. The Wii and Wii U. The 3DO Interactive Multiplayer, a console with awkward multiplayer capabilities that's mostly known for its single player games. The dumbness of calling an X-shaped box "Xbox" to the Xbox One... the third Xbox to the mega dumbness of the Xbox One X Series X-Box 2.0 X-X Box Live Verxion X.

What the hell is a JVC X'eye?? A marketing guy actually let them release a product named that??

I think we peaked early:
Magnavox Odyssey
Vectrex
RDI Halcyon

• Like 2