IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Marble Madness!

BeaIank

Score update page 2. Jumped Arnie by a few points, but still missed 170 by 1300 and change. No deaths and one wand on level 3. Really felt mistake free. Feel like that's as good as I got on one wand. @mbd39 is a straight up beast!

Edit: beat my 2017 score by 80 points lol. Feels like Ive improved way more than that. In 2025, Ill be nipping at your toes, Michael

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Disappointed with this score.  I know I can do much better.  I just couldn’t seem to put it all together

93B4A284-5D92-47C9-AD30-359BC74D3733.jpeg

EAABA3C7-CCA2-4BF1-9EFB-E0DDD724D87A.jpeg

Nicely done edging me out for first amongst the mortals. I was trying like crazy to vest arnie to salvage a podium spot because I was sure you were coming with 170+ at some point. This was a really fun competition and Im pumped I hung with the big boys!

42 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Disappointed with this score.  I know I can do much better.  I just couldn’t seem to put it all together

93B4A284-5D92-47C9-AD30-359BC74D3733.jpeg

EAABA3C7-CCA2-4BF1-9EFB-E0DDD724D87A.jpeg

Dissappointed?  Man,I'd kill for that score!  But it's over now, and it looks like you beat me this week, Krunch, so I'll have to step up my game for Spartan X-2...

9 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Nicely done edging me out for first amongst the mortals. I was trying like crazy to vest arnie to salvage a podium spot because I was sure you were coming with 170+ at some point. This was a really fun competition and Im pumped I hung with the big boys!

It was a wild ride.  I played for a long time today, but the score I got was achieved early in my session. I knew you’d be clamouring for it, and I didn’t have the last bit of time so I was nervous there phewww 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Dissappointed?  Man,I'd kill for that score!  But it's over now, and it looks like you beat me this week, Krunch, so I'll have to step up my game for Spartan X-2...

Fair enough 🙂  nevertheless, this is a decrease for me, as I’ve exceeded 170K many many times.  This Spartan x 2 I’m not familiar with, but for a guy who never had a SNES I can put up an okay showing

43 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Why do you say SNES? Thought this was a famicom exclusive?

Oh I just said that cause the age I am I was in the 64 era and we had an NES for a bit (was my parents and they gave it away) but never had a SNES and thats when beat em ups were peaking.  Not really much after that

• Like 1

I'm only good at this game with a NES dpad. For funsies I tried again with emulator and Playstation 4 controller and I couldn't even beat the game and was dying all the time.

Muscle memory plays a huge part in this game. Once you have the muscle memory for a certain dpad then using something else can mess you up.

55 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I'm only good at this game with a NES dpad. For funsies I tried again with emulator and Playstation 4 controller and I couldn't even beat the game and was dying all the time.

Muscle memory plays a huge part in this game. Once you have the muscle memory for a certain dpad then using something else can mess you up.

Did you ever play it in the arcade with the trackball?  That's the only way to have total control of your marble 😉

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Did you ever play it in the arcade with the trackball?  That's the only way to have total control of your marble 😉

No, I've never played the arcade with the trackball, my main experience is with the NES port which I also had as a kid. Those who have the muscle memory for trackball probably hate playing with the dpad.

9 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Playing this game with a trackball is such a unique and fun experience. The dpad never feels quite right, but the trackball feels realistically tactile in a way you rarely get to experience with a video game.

13 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Score update page 2. Jumped Arnie by a few points, but still missed 170 by 1300 and change. No deaths and one wand on level 3. Really felt mistake free. Feel like that's as good as I got on one wand. @mbd39 is a straight up beast!

Here's my 2:55 run that I submitted to speedrun.com a while back. I far prefer playing MM for score.

https://www.speedrun.com/marblemadness/run/mex4kk0z

• Wow! 1

18 hours ago, Jeevan said:

njYtYCf.jpg

Got a nice little score, but horrible really 😆.  Managed to beat it the other day after about 7 or 8 tries, not all high score enough 🤣

Dang it, Jeeves! You destroyed me in both Super Sprint AND Marble Madness!

That's not a bad score. Good going!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• The topic was unpinned
5 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Final scoreboard posted.
Congratulations to @mbd39 for a well deserved win. @Krunch took 2nd with a mind blowing score and @Jeevan secured 3rd with a 168k+ score!
Good stuff!

Thanks! This was a fun week. Even though I only played on Sunday.

It doesn't look like the scoreboard was updated though.