IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Marble Madness!

BeaIank

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

It's crazy that 9 people broke 170k in the 2017 contest. Every MM ringer on the website showed up and other great players such as tables and Swift Frost were posting high scores. I would be happy if several people broke 170k this week. I think you and NESfiend have a good shot at it.

Weird I didn’t think it was that unusual to break 170K, I’ll have no problem doing it again, like I said the difference maker is stupid shit, I’m tightening up a lot of my problem spots where I keep dying like the part right after the green slimies on silly race.  Previously I was no-deathing this thing no problem.  I also kinda want to learn how to break the black ball on level 2, I reason it’s worth it since even if it takes an extra second that’s the second you have to wait at the drawbridge anyways

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

It's crazy that 9 people broke 170k in the 2017 contest. Every MM ringer on the website showed up and other great players such as tables and Swift Frost were posting high scores. I would be happy if several people broke 170k this week. I think you and NESfiend have a good shot at it.

Weird I didn’t think it was that unusual to break 170K, I’ll have no problem doing it again, like I said the difference maker is stupid shit, I’m tightening up a lot of my problem spots where I keep dying like the part right after the green slimies on silly race.  Previously I was no-deathing this thing no problem.  I also kinda want to learn how to break the black ball on level 2, I reason it’s worth it since even if it takes an extra second that’s the second you have to wait at the drawbridge anyways

Well, I just barely managed to beat level 5 before time ran out. Probably my first time (even though I've played multiple versions of this game for years).

Score was at 39,220 by this point:

marblemadnessneslevel5beat.jpg.22048e60c82ce34371ab31dee3d717ea.jpg

Here's my crappy score:

marblemadnessneslevel6.jpg.4800908309eaeebf54f79415edcb3c62.jpg

marblemadnessnesscore.jpg.0f2d54d064a509988c1301e0fe47985a.jpg

Still a lot of fun.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Krunch said:

It's quite possible to break the black marble and then beat the beginner race with 48 seconds left. That's how I can get 178k without a wand. Ideally you want to get into position for the black marble to break while pushing you down the ramp.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeevan said:

I've played it some, just takes time to get into it......It's just so wonky on the controls, i have beaten it before, but not yet today!  

This was one of the only games I beat as a kid, so Ive always thought of it as one of the easier NES games. It was really popular in my neighborhood though, so I had the benefit of getting help from older guys who beat it before I did. 

As far as advice, you should be asking @mbd39 because he is the god among men here, but here is my take. 

There isnt a lot you can say that isnt fairly obvious. I assume everyone is using the A button for extra speed. I end up holding it down and releasing a lot. You can actually drive the marble more like you would drive a car in a racing game if you get the feel for it. If you need extra momentum to get over a big ridge or several, let off of A to slow down quickly, then jam it and the direction you want to go on dpad to accelerate yourself over whatever. For parts that give you a lot of trouble where you dont need extra momentum, dont use A at all until you are confident in maneuvering that part. 

Youve beat way harder games than this. But getting over 150k requires really good execution. And the part I never get down is not choking if you get more than 1 wand. I get a second wand, Im like JO JO the idiot circus boy with my pretty new pet... and thats when I blow it

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dvertov said:

I don’t seem to be able to make it past that first ramp in Ultimate Race. Also, I just started Hades on Switch, which is really competing for my attention right now... So I think I’m done with this one. Good luck, all.

E47B0227-9134-49B2-953F-9E15FC683BFD.jpeg.927c2783484c61038ef42e3a9545bcd8.jpeg

For the ramp in ultimate you have to hold A to go faster.

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

For the ramp in ultimate you have to hold A to go faster.

WTF there is a go faster button, you have got to be kidding me.

One thing I love about this contest is realizing I’ve been doing a thing completely wrong for 35 years. Good stuff. Ok, I guess I will try this again after all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dvertov said:

One thing I love about this contest is realizing I’ve been doing a thing completely wrong for 35 years. Good stuff. Ok, I guess I will try this again after all.

Right. And for best scores you want to hold A to go faster most of the time while also not losing any marbles. 😃

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, dvertov said:

The controller literally has 2 buttons; you never thought to press either of them? xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mbd39 said:

It's quite possible to break the black marble and then beat the beginner race with 48 seconds left. That's how I can get 178k without a wand. Ideally you want to get into position for the black marble to break while pushing you down the ramp.

I have never learned to break the black ball and that would be a fun thing to add this go around. I need to find video and see how its done. Wish I would have thought of that earlier in the week. Nice weather here and tee times are piling up. Between that and a working sunday I dont have many shots left. 

Yeah thanks I’m gonna smoke that bitch-ass marble right out but the question is does anyone ever bust the black marble on Ultimate Race?  There’s no drawbridge sitting ahead to justify that one unless you’re lightning fast at it

@NESfiend I don’t get the reference but your wand experience being like “Jojo the idiot circus boy with his pretty new pet” whatever that means made me laugh out loud legitimately

37 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Yeah thanks I’m gonna smoke that bitch-ass marble right out but the question is does anyone ever bust the black marble on Ultimate Race?  There’s no drawbridge sitting ahead to justify that one unless you’re lightning fast at it

@NESfiend I don’t get the reference but your wand experience being like “Jojo the idiot circus boy with his pretty new pet” whatever that means made me laugh out loud 

Tommy Boy - I killed my sale. Type it into YouTube