IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Marble Madness!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
Welcome to the MOST EXPECTED week of our beloved Weekly Contest.
A fast paced week, full of action and high scores where our skilled players struggle to prove who is the VERY BEST at MARBLE MADNESS!
Expect several heavy hitters to show out of nowhere to try to claim the title of BEST MARBLE MADNESS VGS player!

The rules for this skirmish are very simple:

• Play till game over or till you beat the game
  • Highest score wins
  • Participation: 5,000
  • Genre: Arcade

Get your marbles ready and be mad about them!

05_Marble_Madness_Sage.png.4cc716e2087cf

The contest ends Sunday, 04/18/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
1st mbd39 179,820
2nd Krunch 169,440
3rd NESfiend 168,640
4th arnpoly 168,260
5th Dr. Morbis 137,240
6th PII 129,160
7th Jeevan 114,410
8th bertsampson 104,530
9th 0xDEAFC0DE 86,640
10th 8bitdontquit 56,210
11th FireHazard51 51,070
12th dvertov 50,650
13th MegaMan52 41,320
14th Deadeye 37,080
15th JamesRobot 36,030
16th Mega Tank 31,370
17th Ausden 18,740
18th docile tapeworm 13,010
19th SuperJimtendo 12,870
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 8bitdontquit said:

Gonna have to go and pull a @Richardhead and ask.  Is this a good score?

No, it is isnt good. Its completely insane and probably not far off the world record. 178 on Sunday? Michael locking this one up early as expected 

Edit: that may actually be the world record. I thought a couple people in the old NA contest vested the record and this score is higher than the winning score for that. 

Edited by NESfiend

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

No, it is isnt good. Its completely insane and probably not far off the world record. 178 on Sunday? Michael locking this one up early as expected 

It's the best I can do without wands and I wasn't getting any this morning (other than the worthless one in silly). I'll need some luck to do any better.

178,650 is the weekly contests MM record that was achieved in 2009. I'd like to top that this week.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

178,650 is the weekly contests MM record that was achieved in 2009. I'd like to top that this week.

Looks like twin galaxies record was updated to 184k in late 2020. Your current score would rank 3rd. And its only Sunday. One early wand and you are all over it

Damn shame the world was denied this game's well deserved sequel.

This is one of those instances, I think, in which I will probably never understand what was going on in the heads of the wigs who killed this one back in the day.  They had an initial effort of a game that was great, unique and a commercial success.  What the hell happened?  This kind of gameplay could have spawned a legion of sequels and a disgusting amount of money...

26 minutes ago, PII said:

I can distinctly remember that first one happening a couple times. Crazy maddening. 

Never knew about the potential sequel. That is really sad. Marble madness 64 could have been out of this world. Or really horrible. Would have been nice to find out which

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Have you hit 180k before? You could probably make a run at the TG record as good as you are at this.

I have hit 180k half a dozen times.

The TG record is 184k which is well beyond my capabilities to beat. A speedrunner named yelsraek got that, and he's probably the best player in the world. But we're the only two people who are documented to have scored that high. Maybe other people did, but it's not on the internet.

• Like 1

Here's yelsraek beating the game 1 player two controllers. So far he's the only human who can do this.

I actually helped him out on Twitch when he started playing for score because he'd only done speedruns. Like I taught him how to break the black marble in the second stage for an extra 1k. I love his stream on Twitch, he's great.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

45 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I have hit 180k half a dozen times.

The TG record is 184k which is well beyond my capabilities to beat. A speedrunner named yelsraek got that, and he's probably the best player in the world. But we're the only two people who are documented to have scored that high. Maybe other people did, but it's not on the internet.

You can't be too far off from making a run at the record if you've come that close.