IGNORED

Console Debate #23 Atari 5200

fox

How do you rate Atari 5200?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Atari 5200?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/23/2021 at 04:59 PM

If you can find a working system and, much more importantly working controllers, this is a fun console.  People like to shit on the joy stick, but it actually feels fine with most games (again assuming that is functions).  I have the model shown at the top of the picture with 4 controller ports and the huge empty space for controller storage.  It makes my original Xbox look tiny in comparison.  I also have the track ball controller which is nearly as big as the console itself.  Many games are a lot of fun and look great for the time period.  It's a shame that Atari handled it so poorly.  I recommend trying it out if you can, but at this point, I'm not sure if it's worth paying the money for it.  

Atari 5200.jpg

Edited by TDIRunner

One of my least favorite consoles, and a bit of everything that could be done wrong, was.

It's a rehashed Atari 400 computer (released 3 years earlier) but incompatible with its software and peripherals. Super Breakout was a terrible pack-in (years old and a bad match for the controllers). Controllers have crap reliability and very few 3rd party options, the console takes up too much desk space, even the cartridges are bigger than they need to be. Tiny library with few, if any, exclusives. And to top it all off, it was released just as The Crash was getting started. 2/10.

If someone could make a readily available replacement controller this would be a decent console to play, honestly. There are a few options for replacement controllers but they’re either expensive or scarce or both.

I like that they’ve got conversions of Atari’s 8-bit computer games for the 5200 for sale on AtariAge. Would be fun to mess around with but again, those controllers are a hassle.

Just now, mbd39 said:

Isn't this just the 8-bit Atari computer but without a keyboard and with horrible controllers?

Sort of, though it is not directly compatible with the Atari 400 software. The later XEGS was a fully compatible Atari 65XE computer that could play both cartridges and 8-bit software. 

The 5200 library was ports, but they were quite good ports for its time. But yeah, most of the games were rereleased on other systems since.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

I, too, have seen that AVGN episode.

I know I'd rather have a video game system that gives you a good proper controller rather than having to order some third party replacement and getting hit in the head with it when it arrives! 😄 

Mostly a waste of space and a waste out of the box thanks to Atari decades ago.  Bad/broken controllers by design, piddly rehash library, not that great of a step up against competition.  Dumped pretty hard for their blockier crappier older brother from the 70s and left in limbo due to the late(too late) jump to the 7800 which still wasn't hot against the then aging NES either.  A footnote in the book of console gaming, that most won't even bother referencing the other page to read up on it.  It could be worse though, it could be the WiiU Isee brought up. 😄

13 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Titles are good, but I’d be damned if I wasn’t disappointed in it.

Plus everything good to be had on it has been ported over to the switch.

It definitely felt like a poor mans switch. I still like the Wii U a lot but I was definitely a much bigger fan prior to me owning a switch. 

Now with Mario 3D World being ported you’re pretty on the mark with everything good being ported over. I did thoroughly enjoy the HD remake of Twilight Princess but I’m sure it will be ported eventually.

6 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Thing is huge, library is small;m, games are trash

That would be just perfect for Oscar the Grouch then! 😄  I mean after all some of that so called "trash" is still perfectly good/usable!  I mean why do you think we have dumpster divers?

I love it. Easy 8 for me. Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, Robotron: 2084, and Space Dungeon make it worth owning by themselves.

For those that think the 5200 is in the same generation as the 2600 you do not know what you are talking about. I do not care what Wikipedia or the vast majority of gamers say.