IGNORED

New Variant of Ninjatown for Nintendo DS discovered

Hello everyone. For over a year now I have been trying to track down more information on this variant which I bought from GameStop almost 9 years ago. I even posted in this forum and in the DS sub trying to find more information, as well as in other places, but didn't find anything. Finally, after lots of searching, I have acquired a second copy, sealed, that confirms this variant existed! I'm calling it the "Button Bundle" variant because it comes with a Shawnimals 1-inch button stuck on the case, inside the shrinkwrap.

spacer.png

The top copy is my personal copy which was sold to me gutted. The bottom one I received today. Note that the buttons are random and the game has a different UPC code from the standard version. The UPC code for the standard is 6 12561 90009 7. The UPC code for this variant is 6 12561 91009 6. 

spacer.png

On the backside, this UPC sticker is under the shrinkwrap too. The shrinkwrap is non-y-fold, with seams on both sides and the bottom. 

This variant comes with the same things as the standard version: 1 of 12 random character clings inside the case, and the E3 and character cling decals on the shrinkwrap, but it also comes with the random button. I have no idea if any other copies of this variant exist, let alone which buttons they came with (I assume it can be any of the ones that Shawnimals sells), what were the terms of this variant (was it a pre-order variant? retailer exclusive?) or anything else. 

If anyone has more information, has this, has seen it, please let me know!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, croagunk said:

Awesome! Pretty cool how there are different buttons. Perhaps even more than two?

There's a whole bunch. You can see the buttons here: https://www.shawnimals.com/collections/merchandise/products/ninjatown-1-inch-button-single

(You can see the poop button in that first picture, and a chart presentation one that is different from the one I have)

The clings that are packed inside the case are 1 of 12, but the buttons are 1 of like... 50, so unless there's a bunch of these still out there, it's possible that there are very few or no duplicates existing. 

So far I've had one prolific DS collector reach out and say that he has this game in his storage and that he's certain his has a button and that he bought it from Circuit City, but he won't be able to dig it out for a while so I don't even have a picture to confirm. No one else has come forward with one of these. Crazy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

There's a whole bunch. You can see the buttons here: https://www.shawnimals.com/collections/merchandise/products/ninjatown-1-inch-button-single

(You can see the poop button in that first picture, and a chart presentation one that is different from the one I have)

The clings that are packed inside the case are 1 of 12, but the buttons are 1 of like... 50, so unless there's a bunch of these still out there, it's possible that there are very few or no duplicates existing. 

So far I've had one prolific DS collector reach out and say that he has this game in his storage and that he's certain his has a button and that he bought it from Circuit City, but he won't be able to dig it out for a while so I don't even have a picture to confirm. No one else has come forward with one of these. Crazy!

Sounds like a case of "Trolls on Treasure Island" where there are god knows how many different troll doll variants, coupled with the fact that there is also a notched cartridge variant.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Sounds like a case of "Trolls on Treasure Island" where there are god knows how many different troll doll variants, coupled with the fact that there is also a notched cartridge variant.

Or like some of the Matchbox / Hot Wheels games that came with random cars and apparently the cars could have been just about anything they had on hand!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Wow. That is crazy!