IGNORED

Burrito?

KokiriChild

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

What are the limits to what is called a burrito?  Any collection of food items wrapped in a tortilla?

I moved from burrito mecca San Francisco, where I was a proud burrito connoisseur / snob, to the US Midwest a few years ago. Outside of a few sparse urban taquerias I've never seen someone around here even wrap one correctly, and in my head I've come to think of Midwestern burritos as "a loose tortilla-sack full of whatever Mexican-flavored food you want to stuff in there." So when defining "burrito" I think one should consider the broad array of regional distinctions that exist.

Also, Korean burritos are legit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had the best burrito place next door to my dorm while at college in Boston. They knew my name and order and gave me my food for free every 10th visit or so, thats how often I went there. 

If you're ever in the downtown theater district, make sure to check out Maria's Taqueria.

Edited by KokiriChild
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Deadeye said:

@dvertovI ask because I like these food debates that spawned from is a hotdog a sandwich.  I came across this food organization diagram a while back and it has been a good conversation starter.  Good luck 🤣

Ah, I see. I read your comment as kicking off one of those burrito gatekeeping conversations, e.g. "a burrito with french fries is not really a burrito." I don't like the gatekeeping part but I do think there's an interesting discussion there about regional food variants, like with pizza.

Incidentally my favorite go-to burrito was at a SF taqueria called Gordos, and the best thing about it was that they melted a layer of cheese across the entire tortilla before adding any other ingredients. Once wrapped up the cheese worked as glue to hold the whole thing together and you were sure to get a mouthful of hot melted cheese in every bite. Genius.

Homebrew Team · Posted

Nice.  

Oh, don't get wrong I like the debates not for gatekeeping, saying something has to be X, but rather to see how people think differently about food.  Isn't the fusion of different influences and regional takes the most interesting part of it? 

Anyway, back to burrito talk. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deadeye said:

@dvertovI ask because I like these food debates that spawned from is a hotdog a sandwich.  I came across this food organization diagram a while back and it has been a good conversation starter.  Good luck 🤣

IMG_20190802_062252.jpg.063893ff6834792f26331c22b1e8a16d.jpg

This is the chart I never knew I needed. Blackened chicken burritos are awesome BTW.

I’m from New Mexico and we have some of the best burritos on the planet. One of my favorite burritos is a chicharron burrito with red chile at this place called El Parasol. 

If you want, you can also smother your burrito with REAL green chile, non of that “green sauce” crap. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dvertov said:

I moved from burrito mecca San Francisco, where I was a proud burrito connoisseur / snob, to the US Midwest a few years ago. Outside of a few sparse urban taquerias I've never seen someone around here even wrap one correctly, and in my head I've come to think of Midwestern burritos as "a loose tortilla-sack full of whatever Mexican-flavored food you want to stuff in there." So when defining "burrito" I think one should consider the broad array of regional distinctions that exist.

Korean fried chicken burrito? That sounds awesome.I would destroy a couple of galbi burritos too

9 hours ago, dvertov said:

Where in the city did you live? I knew I liked you.  

I had a burrito in Chicago of all places, and it had cheese wiz and ground beef ( and it was in a corn tortilla 😱) I almost spit it out when I bit into it. 

I would wager taco bell makes a better burrito than 90% of states without a large mexican population. 

2 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Korean fried chicken burrito? That sounds awesome.I would destroy a couple of galbi burritos too

We’ve got a local place that does them pretty well. I get mine with bulgogi, extra kimchi, a fried egg, and... damn. Now I kind of want one 

2 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Where in the city did you live? I knew I liked you.  

Thanks. I spent most of my time living in the Sunset but usually worked around the Mission and Potrero Hill. But I would go all over the city for a burrito. 

Now that I’m thinking of it, the best burrito I’ve ever had in my life was at Taqueria Cancun on Mission St. Unfortunately I can’t remember exactly what kind of burrito it was as I was also very drunk. It was definitely the best though, whatever the hell it was.

• Like 1