IGNORED

(HBWC) Homebrew World Championship 2020

Deadeye

Homebrew Team · Posted

So I have been on again off again vocal about this, but when are going to see the next Homebrew World Championship project?  

HBWC 2012 was a blast and left me wanting more.  Especially since there has been so much activity and releases since then.  2020 is coming up fast, but it is also the 30th anniversary of the NWC.  It would make a great fit as far as timing.

The idea that has been in my head,  competition at MWGC for highest live score.  Winner takes a special edition cart. I know it is pie in the sky dream, but hey I can wish.  

What games come to mind as a good fit for the next HBWC competition cart?  

Edited by Deadeye

This is a topic that has been long discussed among some of us, but it's nice to see some new folks champion it. Finding the right combination of games is key, since the challenges should differ like they did with the NWC/HBWC/etc. For example, is the challenge difficulty, randomness, time-based, skill mixed with chance, ,high score, etc.

Spook-o'-tron doesn't work due to the dual controller (alas!). The Incident is another that is tough since it lacks a random component. Even if it was time based it would be too easy to quickly master it. If a random set of puzzles were used then there are other difficulties.

Name a game, give the challenge, section off an area of it for further study (level 2, or X mini-game).

This year would be a great year for it!

Homebrew Team · Posted

@SoleGooseThanks for the words of encouragement and guidance.

About your dismissal of Spook-O'-tron as a candidate,  I don't see the control scheme as a barrier.  So you need to use two controllers turned sideways?  They are unmodified standard controllers.  It may be confusing for a player going into it blind, never playing it before.  However, if you think of the origin of the NWC, it was a competition for the best of the best.  I believe the players knew the list of games prior to playing the cart and were versed in them.  Should the same criteria apply to the HBWC?  If so, I think Spook -O'-Tron fits the bill.     

Edited by Deadeye
Typos, typos, typos, Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Like 1

Moderator · Posted
21 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

@SoleGooseThanks for the words of encouragement and guidance.

About your dismissal of Spook-O'-tron as a candidate,  I don't see the control scheme as a barrier.  So you need to use two controllers turned sideways?  They are unmodified standard controllers.  It may be confusing for a player going into it blind, never playing it before.  However, if you think of the original of the NWC, it was a competition for the best of the best.  I believe the players knew the list of games prior to playing the cart and were versed in them.  Should the same criteria apply to the HBWC?  If so, I think Spook -O'-Tron fits the bill.     

Completely agree. One thing I like about homebrew is that many recent instances introduce something new either mechanically or to the genre it represents.

The challenge with Spook-o’-tron would be that playing it involves using your fingers (and possibly controllers) in a way unfamiliar to many. And for those who have practiced with the game, it is still a solid arcade challenge. Heck you could add Estoscerro so you have multiple games with that controller design and make a randomized treasure-hunting level.

I get what you’re saying about The Incident (and I almost suggested Scramble but decided I didn’t want to suggest two shooting games different as they are) but technically any game could be mastered by practicing and memorizing the layout so I disagree that that would make The Incident a less fitting entry, especially if you draw from new levels developed since Kevin released the level editor. 

And if you want to add other games that are more about running up the score, you could include Bovinium Quest, UXO, and Cowlitz (2nd).

Homebrew Team · Posted

@Scrobins Great suggestions.  Bovinium Quest has random elements that have a lot of risk / reward to get the best time and score.  Same with Cowlitz Second Adventure and UXO.

To add something else to consider in regards to games that could be solved by memorization, i.e. The Incident or other puzzle games, what if the level selected was randomized from a pool of say 5 or 10 levels, or the selection is based on current score? 

And for Nebs 'n Debs - collection hunt quest similar to Mario in NWC.

Some other suggestions:

-Boss Battles? Battle Kid,  Alfonso's Attic Adventure, Haunted Halloween 86 or Micro Mages

- Hunt Quest? Alfonso, Micro mages

- Racing? F-FF

- NES Virus Cleaner 2 (if it comes out in time)

- Assimilate

Homebrew Team · Posted

@SoleGooseWe got a few good points to why Spook-o'-tron would work and be a good fit.  What do you say now, did we sway your opinion?

For game play clarity,  there could be a transition screen between games with a tag line and a control scheme diagram.  Something simple and quick to understand quickly in a couple seconds.  "Get ready to shoot some enemies" above a diagram of two NES controllers vertical with "Move" below the left one and "Shoot" below the right one.   

Homebrew Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, Orab Games said:

Spook-O'-tron followed by Tailgate Party followed by Super Russian Roulette so you have to controller swap between each game adding to the difficulty of the challenge. Just be careful so you don't freeze up the NES by moving it too much!

The freeze up avoid is part of the challenge.  😜

8 hours ago, Scrobins said:

Ooh can you imagine a competition cartridge that was just one giant boss rush stitching together bosses from different games? 

A giant boss rush would be really cool. Instead bosses from Alfonzo, make it the final boss of the original Eskimo Bob though. Also, make it the first fight in the boss rush, just to scare anyone away from ever playing it.

• Haha 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

The boss rush is an interesting idea to explore more.  Would the boss rush be no time cap? Just how fast can you make it through? Or would there still be a time cap and a score?

Personally, I think the score is important, it makes you find more strategies.  Is it better to take no damage or go in there wild.   Do you get more points for certain attacks?  The time cap element also adds an urgency to it.

How feasible would a boss rush competition game be?

13 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

The boss rush is an interesting idea to explore more.  Would the boss rush be no time cap? Just how fast can you make it through? Or would there still be a time cap and a score?

Personally, I think the score is important, it makes you find more strategies.  Is it better to take no damage or go in there wild.   Do you get more points for certain attacks?  The time cap element also adds an urgency to it.

I'm up for taking part in it if anyone else is. There are definitely some games with pretty cool boss fights out there, so it'd be cool to get a bunch of people on board.

Homebrew Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, toma said:

I'm up for taking part in it if anyone else is. There are definitely some games with pretty cool boss fights out there, so it'd be cool to get a bunch of people on board.

That's great Toma.  Let's see if we can get more Brewers on board.  I don't think Gradualgames or Morphcat is on here yet, but do you think they would be interested?  I could reach out to them through other means.

@IBtiM see above.  We are trying to organize the next Homebrew World Championship Cart and are looking into the possibility of a boss rush concept.  Is this something you would be interested in?

5 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

That's great Toma.  Let's see if we can get more Brewers on board.  I don't think Gradualgames or Morphcat is on here yet, but do you think they would be interested?  I could reach out to them through other means.

@IBtiM see above.  We are trying to organize the next Homebrew World Championship Cart and are looking into the possibility of a boss rush concept.  Is this something you would be interested in?

Couldn't hurt to check. I think they're both fairly active on Twitter so it might be worth checking into. I think Derek is still on hiatus from any NES development, but you never know.

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, Deadeye said:

Like the end of a beat 'em level where you get a bonus for life and time remaining? In that case you could have a level time limit like Mario/Sonic rather than a game-wide time limit like NWC.

Homebrew Team · Posted

I have an update on this.

I have been slowly reaching out to Brewers to see if they would be interested in participating in the next HBWC project.  We have Toma on board as he said above, but now we also have one more.  Broke Studio, makers of Twin Dragons!!!!!

Edited by Deadeye
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...