IGNORED

Games you can't remember the name of

sp1nz

On 5/5/2021 at 3:48 PM, AlternatorDelux said:

I can remember a game with a high-pitched creature that says something along the lines of "Payamo!"  I can't remember what kind of game it is, but I suspect it's on Game Boy Advance.  Multiple voices in Super Monkey Ball sound like it, but I haven't found that particular line in those games.

I found it!  Pop'n TwinBee.

• Like 1

Such a great game, and yeah that would be a Super Famicom title, so visually speaking you weren't off since the face value of 2D work the GBA and SNES look nearly on par largely.  Odd thing, that game also had a GB port which you can get in english but only in the euro-market.  Game is that good I imported it, but as of this year I have the SFC version again too. 😄

• 1 month later...

The only game I have like this is unfortunately going to be hard to pin point, but it was in the 90s, and it was a vertical scrolling shoot 'em up. It was fairly standard power up stuff with red spread gun, blue laser and I can't remember if the third power up was green or yellow, but I remember the thing that stood out to me was when your ship changed direction, the big blue upgraded laser would bend in a really cool looking way.

It was next to the Puzzle Bobble machine at the Starlight Drive-in in Hamilton, in the off chance anyone here remembers that. 😅

I wish I could tell you more, but it's all I really remember. I just remember the game kicked ass, and I've always wanted to look up a longplay of it so I could see the ending.

51 minutes ago, Lynda Monica said:

The only game I have like this is unfortunately going to be hard to pin point, but it was in the 90s, and it was a vertical scrolling shoot 'em up. It was fairly standard power up stuff with red spread gun, blue laser and I can't remember if the third power up was green or yellow, but I remember the thing that stood out to me was when your ship changed direction, the big blue upgraded laser would bend in a really cool looking way.

It was next to the Puzzle Bobble machine at the Starlight Drive-in in Hamilton, in the off chance anyone here remembers that. 😅

I wish I could tell you more, but it's all I really remember. I just remember the game kicked ass, and I've always wanted to look up a longplay of it so I could see the ending.

Sounds very much like Truxton (1988) Arcade.

Edited by sp1nz

1 hour ago, sp1nz said:

Sounds very much like Truxton (1988) Arcade.

No, that's not the one. If I recall correctly, I think there was a stage where you're flying over an ocean. The graphics were more advanced than this, and the animation was smoother. I think the ship's sprite would actually bank left and right as you moved, but I might be wrong on that one.

This was when I was about seven years old, so the memories are very cloudy for me. I'm actually going to start looking up 90s shoot 'em ups on youtube and try to find it. I remember trying to find it online in the 2000s and couldn't find it, but that was quite a while ago now. It might be on there now.

EDIT: I found the game! I knew there was no mistaking that bending laser! I guess it was purple instead of blue.

The second stage has you flying over water like I remember, the ship banks left and right as you turn, and go to minute 35 in this video, and you'll see the bending laser I was thinking of. That weapon's animation has stayed with me forever.

Edited by Lynda Monica
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Yeah Raiden's "toothpaste laser" is one of the most iconic weapons in the shmup genre, I knew exactly what you were talking about the moment you described it 😄

It's so emblematic of the series they kept it in ever game, including the Raiden Fighters series.