IGNORED

How would you feel seeing this in a store?

Sign or not, does it really matter that someone is looking up prices in their store? If an item is priced too high, tough shit for the customer, they can go buy it online for less and wait for it to ship to them, and hope it’s what they expected. If the item is priced too low, well, the owner isn’t doing a very good job of running their business. They shouldn’t put that on the customers by posting a stupid little sign that only makes them look like dicks.

Edited by portabello
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Mind linking the thread? I believe I know this store. If it isn't the store that I am thinking of, then I know a store with these kinds of signs all around. 😆

Let me take a look. I saved the picture but not the thread itself 😕

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I look up prices while I'm on Walmart. That's what people with 3quarters of a brain do before making a purchase.

And if the store owner said anything, I'd just hit them with the "Oh my bad, I can't read" excuse. 

Where’s the “this” button

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted

I agree with many of the comments here in this thread.  Although, while I don't shop in stores often, a couple years ago I was trying to just look at the games at Half Price Books, and there was a team of two people hogging up the game aisle.  I was waiting a bit for them to browse and leave, but they were taking a long time.  Eventually, I realized that they were checking EVERY single game's price online, and then snatching all of the ones that were underpriced to sell for profit.  One of them had a barcode style scanner and the other was on his phone.  It took an exorbitant amount of time, and due to the size of the aisles, basically made it such that no one else could even browse that area.

I asked the cashier about it, and she said it is really frustrating and they were seeing that more often - people coming in to check massive amounts of items, to buy and resell.  Which is fine if they are just buying items, but she said it annoys other customers (I can verify this haha).

I don't know if this is the type of thing they encountered or not, but just something I noticed a while back and this thread reminded me of it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spacepup said:

I agree with many of the comments here in this thread.  Although, while I don't shop in stores often, a couple years ago I was trying to just look at the games at Half Price Books, and there was a team of two people hogging up the game aisle.  I was waiting a bit for them to browse and leave, but they were taking a long time.  Eventually, I realized that they were checking EVERY single game's price online, and then snatching all of the ones that were underpriced to sell for profit.  One of them had a barcode style scanner and the other was on his phone.  It took an exorbitant amount of time, and due to the size of the aisles, basically made it such that no one else could even browse that area.

I asked the cashier about it, and she said it is really frustrating and they were seeing that more often - people coming in to check massive amounts of items, to buy and resell.  Which is fine if they are just buying items, but she said it annoys other customers (I can verify this haha).

I don't know if this is the type of thing they encountered or not, but just something I noticed a while back and this thread reminded me of it.

I've seen it a time or two in the game aisle up the street, but usually oddly the pricers seem to be those I think that run ebay or etsy music shops as mostly I'll see people squatting and scooting around the 2 layer high all around the long stand clearance spot barcode checking each disc and throwing them into a carry cart.  They're not in the way so I don't care.  The other though, games tend to be in a thinner space and good stuff under plexiglass.

One of the times I had it while i was there, I wasn't willing to wait all afternoon, looked elsewhere, came back, still were hovering blocking like they owned the domain.  I didn't even mutter a kindness, I shoved my way in and well they looked pissed, but what were they going to do, get kicked out?  I kept shuffling around looking at things, standing over them, around them, just hovering basically, not even trying to avoid making light contact as they were being jerks.  I got something I wanted they hadn't caught on to yet, and left, with a deal.

I use my phone there too, ever since they went national pricing I don't trust the place anymore so I make sure it's not higher than something I can poke on ebay while standing there, which I've done at times too.  I don't mind a little higher, it's retail, but yeah crazy pricing no.  For the last 3-4mo they've not sold a loose Lolo3 cart for $150, recently reduced to $100 in the last month, still not selling just to give an idea why I'd check.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention earlier, if I'm looking at used video games in any type of store and I pull my phone out, 99% of the time it's because I'm looking at my collection list to confirm that I have or don't have something.  I'm almost never checking the price.  But with that said, if anyone told me to stop looking at my phone because they thought I was internet price checking, I would immediately turn into the most annoying customer they have ever dealt with.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spacepup said:

Happens everywhere and people who use a phone in a store to look up prices to resell or get better deals elsewhere isn't going away. More than likely that's what this business encountered. One solution is if people who are blocking an area of a store have a employee tell them to move over to another area to look at there phone so others can look.  Nowadays it's much harder for people to find second hand stuff to profit off in stores cause those same people who own the stores know the values online and are one step ahead of resellers.  I know people who own thrift stores and when they get stuff of value they put the stuff up in there Ebay store.

• Like 1