IGNORED

So let me ask you as a collector...

the tall guy

I mean, it'd be fine to keep until you could find an upgrade. I have a zombie nation and chip and Dale 2 box that were cut to put in a rental case or something, but sitting inside a box protector, they display fine on the shelf for now. It's really all about what you can handle looking at... If it doesn't bug you too much, then whatever, you can still check it off your list and upgrade it down the road when a nicer copy comes along.

That's a good question.  For boxes, pretty much any significant tears or damage is enough for me to pass on it.  For carts, I am a bit more lenient, but if the label is trashed I am not going to pay anywhere near what someone probably thinks it is worth.  I am not going to pay $500 for a Hagane with no label, I don't care how rare it is.

Depends on the rarity, price and where/what the damage is. I got an uncommon SNES CIB for free that had flap torn off with some of the side on top of a deal, I might upgrade it in future but I can tolerate the damage. Extreme sunfade, large chunks of box torn scraped or torn off are very off-putting. I don't really like a flap being ripped off either but I can usually live with it, if the box is generally good shape otherwise. Generally I go for at least good condition CIBs but I'm not unhappy to own a couple of more beat up games when the price is right.

I am really picky with plastic box games (all the disc based stuff, but also Sega Master System / Genesis games that came with plastic boxes) because these boxes are very easy to keep clean and it makes me angry to see them beat up, dirty, etc (and I have seen some ridiculous stuff - dog bites, food residue under the clear plastic sleeve, dead bugs, etc). This also brings up a big distinction for me - there's a big difference between a box being damaged vs being dirty. I have some boxes that are crushed, creased, etc. and I'm okay with it - at least I can see the art, read the text, appreciate the thing. What I can't do is stuff that is dirty. I don't want it in my house. I have to be able to clean it or I'm probably going to demand a refund. My biggest peeve, though, is water damage. I think this is because my original collection of NES games (about 6 games that I had CIB) from when I was 5 got ruined in a flood - soaked through with dirty ground water, beyond what I knew how to repair at the time. Ever since, if something has a sign of water damage, I just don't want it. I've even had a couple items that I bought online that I ended up returning because the seller didn't know or didn't disclose that the item had water damage and it was obvious. It's not just about the appearance - it's a sign of potential for mold, and you do not want to be introducing mold anywhere in your house, that stuff will spread and ruin your whole collection. 

Anyway, the picture you posted is probably beyond my tolerance for damaged goods though. I wouldn't throw them out, because I think every box is worth preserving, but I'd be looking to let go of those and replace them with boxes in better condition. 

I'm primarily a cartridge collector, but I go for CIBs when I see 'em for cheap. I'll pass though if there's any rips or tears. For boxes and manuals, I'm not too fussy about some creases and wear and tear (which is in stark contrast to cartridges, which I want to be immaculate), so for the ones you pictured, I'd have to replace, but I definitely couldn't dispose of them since they're intact enough to where someone would want them. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going for truly rare items (note: rarity =/= value) then you'll grab what you can take. I own a few game boxes that are sunfaded or ripped or whatever , but are one of less than five known to exist. I know some friends with similar type items in their collections. When we are talking truly rare , not CND2 box rate, then condition isn't king imo.