IGNORED

So let me ask you as a collector...

the tall guy

I always kept boxes in nearly any condition and looked to upgrade in the future.  I was keeping record well before NA created their collection tool, so my place to store stuff was rfgeneration's collection tool.  I'm sure other tools are far better now, but at the time it was perfect for my needs.  The only time I wouldn't keep an item or box:

• It had live or dead bugs in it.  Anything worth less than several hundred dollars would go directly in the trash at that point.  I don't need bed bugs for a rotten Kickle Cubicle box.
  • It had mold or fungus.  Again, can't jeopardize my home for a box that's living.
  • It smelled like piss or heavy cigarette smoke.  No thanks, I'll wait for a better item.

I've had two pinball machines that came from smoking households.  I had to use an ozone generator and a bunch of deodorizers in a relatively closed space for weeks to get rid of the smell.  They were both $5k+ in value, so I was willing to keep it in my garage and work out the smell, but if it were a toaster NES, that thing would have been in the dump. 

If I didn't have them, I'd pick them up regardless of shape (while respecting @MrMark0673's above pass/throw away terms above) and just hang onto them until a better replacement comes along.  If you've got them, you've got them, even if they're no prize to look at, and you can always pick up a better one (and perhaps trade/sell off the worse one) later on.

I'd keep the boxes in question. If its got physical mold then I'd ditch it, just musty or earthy smell then I'd sanitize it and bag it up.

I'm not too picky on condition because I can't be. Collecting unlicensed original famicom games , it's quite frequently when only two or three boxes are known to exist. I'd prefer a beaten one to none.

I need my cart labels to be near mint. Carts are so relatively common and easy to find in nice shape I’ve never had reason to settle. The only time I settle is for something like ISS on SNES, where finding a cart without at least a little edge wear is an ordeal. I still don’t want rips/tears. I’m in the market for a loose Hagane but all the Ebay listings are asking collector prices for essentially rekt carts IMO.

I’m a little looser on boxes because they’re harder to find very nice. I’ll take a 7/10 until I can upgrade but those 3 junkers you pictured I’d give away for the cost of shipping.

It kind of depends on the person, I guess.  If it's a game or something that I don't really care about, or something that would cost a bunch to upgrade, who cares if you have 1 or 2 or 3 that are crap.  You don't accumulate 800 games without some baddies.  I'd go crazy trying to find a perfect copy of everything.  

I keep track of my stuff in excel.  I have it on Dropbox so I can look at it wherever I go and on my computer.  Apps (and sites, for that matter) come and go, so you should probably try to keep your stuff in something that won't disappear at some point....  Just sayin'.  

But, at the end of the day, I liken it to 2:30 am, it's cold, no one is looking, and you don't want to go home alone.  Walk of shame doesn't matter, had sex.  🙂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MrMark0673 said:

I always kept boxes in nearly any condition and looked to upgrade in the future.  I was keeping record well before NA created their collection tool, so my place to store stuff was rfgeneration's collection tool.  I'm sure other tools are far better now, but at the time it was perfect for my needs.  The only time I wouldn't keep an item or box:

• It had live or dead bugs in it.  Anything worth less than several hundred dollars would go directly in the trash at that point.  I don't need bed bugs for a rotten Kickle Cubicle box.
  • It had mold or fungus.  Again, can't jeopardize my home for a box that's living.
  • It smelled like piss or heavy cigarette smoke.  No thanks, I'll wait for a better item.

I've had two pinball machines that came from smoking households.  I had to use an ozone generator and a bunch of deodorizers in a relatively closed space for weeks to get rid of the smell.  They were both $5k+ in value, so I was willing to keep it in my garage and work out the smell, but if it were a toaster NES, that thing would have been in the dump. 

I've found dead bugs in many consoles I've opened to clean, and I think even in a cart or two.  I don't recall any live ones, thankfully.  

Cigarette smoke is just a total deal breaker for me, though.  That crap can migrate.  

What are people's thoughts on water damage?  Boxes or manuals that get that wavy look to them after the water has dried.

Save them for when Paul goes for CIB, lol.

But, if I had the boxes in that picture I'd probably toss them. At least the top two. I have a few missing the tabs and a Mario 2 box that has the bottom taped together, but all the important stuff is there and it still looks decent on the shelf.

I'd probably keep water damaged boxes.. maybe try to flatten them out. But manuals will usually stick together and become a piece of cardboard. I throw those away. 

I had a mega man 2 box and manual that smelled like smoke. Threw them in a bag with some dryer sheets. Eventually the smell went away but it took 6+ months.

The only things I might add are that 

1) If it's rare, I would get the box as a placeholder in any condition if the price is right.  I would never pass with the intention to upgrade on something I'm not certain I will be able to upgrade.

2) I don't think there is a point where wrecked boxes or manuals become worthless.  Even when they can't function as intended (for example, a cut box from a rental case), they are still art and still an authentic piece of an ever-shrinking supply.

Honestly? I don't have a problem with the cartridge being almost completely destroyed so long as it works. Boxes it's a different story. I wouldn't want a boxed game like the ones in the picture. That adventures of Tom Sawyer box is probably the lowest condition I would find acceptable.

Edited by Jono1874

On 10/22/2019 at 5:05 AM, the tall guy said:

I do have some box protectors! I've got over 500 of them, I just need to get some more (like, another 25 currently).  

Upgrading is definitely not a bad idea, but honestly I don't buy on eBay and I rarely run into boxes locally.  At the same time, I can't help feeling that some box is better than no box.

How do you keep track of what you need to upgrade?  Keep a list?

My view is that if something is rare enough that a placeholder scratches the itch to own it, and you may never come across that item again, then it's good to buy the item no matter the condition. Having said that, if it is a variant (for example, 2nd or 3rd print run) from a publisher where you can make a safe assumption on the (lack of) rarity and that you will eventually come across another copy, then I recommend to pass on buying a heavily worn version as it will be an inefficient use of time in the long-run. As I collect tons of obscure stuff, this rule-of-thumb works well for me, as there's plenty of items I have not seen beyond a worn copy.

In your case, with games, I'm tempted to say that the opportunity cost of upgrading is too high to bother buying heavily worn placeholders... but as you only buy locally and hardly come across boxes, then the logic above would work well for you, too. You could of course start buying on eBay, as it may be more efficient in the long-run, too...

As for keeping track; I use simple spreadsheets. I have a column for condition, and highlight those items that I'd like to eventually upgrade. For some parts of the collection, I've put down detailed grades for each item, but never found the time to do this for every item in the collection. As the size of the collection grows, this level of detail just becomes extremely cumbersome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedy_NES said:

My view is that if something is rare enough that a placeholder scratches the itch to own it, and you may never come across that item again, then it's good to buy the item no matter the condition. Having said that, if it is a variant (for example, 2nd or 3rd print run) from a publisher where you can make a safe assumption on the (lack of) rarity and that you will eventually come across another copy, then I recommend to pass on buying a heavily worn version as it will be an inefficient use of time in the long-run. As I collect tons of obscure stuff, this rule-of-thumb works well for me, as there's plenty of items I have not seen beyond a worn copy.

In your case, with games, I'm tempted to say that the opportunity cost of upgrading is too high to bother buying heavily worn placeholders... but as you only buy locally and hardly come across boxes, then the logic above would work well for you, too. You could of course start buying on eBay, as it may be more efficient in the long-run, too...

As for keeping track; I use simple spreadsheets. I have a column for condition, and highlight those items that I'd like to eventually upgrade. For some parts of the collection, I've put down detailed grades for each item, but never found the time to do this for every item in the collection. As the size of the collection grows, this level of detail just becomes extremely cumbersome.

On the upshot, typically if I come across stuff in this kind of shape, it's incredibly inexpensive.  I gave next to nothing for those three.  

I have my collection updated on NA, but I think I should probably put it in excel or something.  Spend some time and catalog everything.  Maybe make notes of some things that should I find them could be upgraded.

7 minutes ago, the tall guy said:

On the upshot, typically if I come across stuff in this kind of shape, it's incredibly inexpensive.  I gave next to nothing for those three.  

I have my collection updated on NA, but I think I should probably put it in excel or something.  Spend some time and catalog everything.  Maybe make notes of some things that should I find them could be upgraded.

Yeah, maybe it's possible to copy-paste the collection from NA to text/Excel?