IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Smash TV!

BeaIank

53 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

EDIT, and I wanted to mention, this is definitely an awesome game, but it really irks me that it resets your life count to five at the start of each level; I've always got like double digit lives at the end of level 1, then sure enough, level 2 starts and I'm down to five.  My copy also stops playing the background music when I die until I beat the current room; I'm not sure if this is a bug or what but it doesn't really affect gameplay at all, so whatever...

Ah that explains it. I kept wondering why I suddenly had less lives than I thought. 

12 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Ah that explains it. I kept wondering why I suddenly had less lives than I thought. 

Well the upswing to this "feature" is that if you beat a level on your last life, when the next level boots up you'll magically be back up to 5, so you essentially get 15 free lives (not counting extras you find on the road) to beat the game, providing you always make it to level 3...

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well the upswing to this "feature" is that if you beat a level on your last life, when the next level boots up you'll magically be back up to 5, so you essentially get 15 free lives (not counting extras you find on the road) to beat the game, providing you always make it to level 3...

They should give points for left over lives.

• Like 1

Score updated to 7.8 million on page three. It was quite a run. Previously, I had never even made it to the stage 2 boss. I got access to my real NES on a CRT today. I'm not sure if that was the reason I did better or I just got good enough (CRT has less latency but the emulator's controls were much easier on my hands). My first run I was able to beat the game on my last life. The score feels a bit low, but I reached my goal of beating the game. 

6,718,170 - I feel like I could top that but its the best I’m going to manage in a busy week. I really wanted to get on the board with this one, though. 

I realize it’s not the best port, but I’ll always have a soft spot for this game because it taught my four-year-old how to use a d-pad. I took the movement controller and let him have guns. It took ten minutes of running circles in the first room but eventually he figured it out, and making it all the way though Mutoid Man like that was one of the most fun experiences I’ve ever had with a video game.

9ADD413B-E655-4772-A069-9213D862A28A.jpeg

Edited by dvertov

3 hours ago, Krunch said:

If the current scoreboard holds we’re gonna see a leaderboard tie for first at 20 points between Dr. Morbis and arnpoly. That really puts the pressure on you guys for Blue Marlin 😝

Heh, well I've never played an NES fishing game in my life (outside of testing them to see if they work when I get them), so I'll be going in greener than green for this next week, but I'll certainly be giving it the ol' college try...

Events Helper · Posted
9 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

1 million might as well have been the participation score.

I played a bit this week and am still playing, got about an hour or so and i will post a score.  I am surprisingly decent at this.  Having just played robotron 64 for the beat them all thread kinda helped my dodging skills.  Just beat scarface and am taking a breather.  Also try to hit them bonus rooms if possible, that is gonna be where u rack up a lot of bonus points!!!!