IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Smash TV!

BeaIank

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Understood.  I guess you don't have many hours of Robotron play under your belt from the arcade days?  I've never played SmashTV with only one controller, but I feel like it would be incredibly difficult to play that way, not unlike trying to play Arkanoid without a Vaus.  But anyway, this game absolutely kills my thumbs, so I'll play one game a day and re-post if any of my other scores top this one.  Hopefully I can beat this game before long, since I got to level 3 on my first try.   6,123,530:

993767720_SMASHTV1.JPG.bc04c67ef93159922be0ab0deb9f0684.JPG

You are a beast, Morbis. With the work week I have and family in this weekend, learning it anew and competing meaningfully isnt happening this week. Had a good time with it, but Ill use the time I have to warm up catching Marlin and playing around with super sprint. Good luck!  

2 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

Never really played this game before. Tried with the single controller, didn't get very far. Tried the double fist and in my opinion, that is definitely the way to go on this one. I think I can do a lot better just need to find the time!

Second double-fist run and holy hell my fucking thumbs are sore. Especially the left one! Any tips for helping to not turn your thumbs into hamburger meat? Good improvement but I'm gonna give it a rest until tomorrow. I got blistas on mee fingas! (not really)

IMG_1576.JPG

That's my only gripe is that this game tears up my thumbs. I wonder how this would go with an Nes Advantage.

8 minutes ago, Californication said:

I think if you start shooting in one direction and hold a+b you will hold that direction and be able to strafe.

Yeah, but to switch to a new shooting direction, you'd have to let go of strafe, quickly face the new direction you want to shoot, then hold down strafe again and go back to moving in whatever direction you wanted to go.  Not impossible, but definitely cumbersome.

17 minutes ago, Californication said:

That's my only gripe is that this game tears up my thumbs. I wonder how this would go with an Nes Advantage.

I honestly think this game would be killer with two NES Advantages turned sideways, but how would you ergonimically set that up?  One on each knee isn't going to work and coffee tables are too low.  I think you'd have to set up a small TV on like a kitchen counter or island and then stand in front of the TV with the two NES Advantages sitting on the counter in front of you turned sideways...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, but to switch to a new shooting direction, you'd have to let go of strafe, quickly face the new direction you want to shoot, then hold down strafe again and go back to moving in whatever direction you wanted to go.  Not impossible, but definitely cumbersome.

I honestly think this game would be killer with two NES Advantages turned sideways, but how would you ergonimically set that up?  One on each knee isn't going to work and coffee tables are too low.  I think you'd have to set up a small TV on like a kitchen counter or island and then stand in front of the TV with the two NES Advantages sitting on the counter in front of you turned sideways...

Obviously, you have to put a stack of books underneath each one on top of the coffee table. And I say you because I only have one advantage and want to see a picture of that shit for sure. 

Edit: Now I kind of want to try this, so I called my local shop to see if they have an advantage in stock. They don't, so its back on you, Morbis

Edited by NESfiend

On 3/23/2021 at 8:56 PM, NESfiend said:

Are you playing with two controllers too? Am I the only one that finds that concept absurdly unappetizing? 

Also, American Gladiators is the shit. All 5 mini games are tremendous. 

I am using two now, yet my score is with only one. Dealing with a bit of a learning curve, but the obvious advantages make it almost a no brainier to use two. We shall see..  also the wall in American gladiators sucks balls!.  I like @mbd39's idea of using two analog sticks on a ps4/xbox controller, for those who emulate. Seems that would be ideal.

Edited by 8bitdontquit

Just now, 8bitdontquit said:

I am using two now, yet my score is with only one. Dealing with a bit of a learning curve, but the obvious advantages make it almost a no brainier to use two. We shall see..  also the wall in American gladiators sucks balls!.  I like @mbd39's idea of using two analog sticks on a ps4/xbox controller, for those who emulate. Seems that would be ideal.

I have a PS4 controller but have only been using default controls so far. I've gotten used to them.

Just now, 8bitdontquit said:

The wall is the best event if you know what to do. Use your left thumb for d pad as always. Tap a and b with your index and middle finger of your right hand. You can fly up and down those walls that way and those events become fun as hell

6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Obviously, you have to put a stack of books underneath each one on top of the coffee table. And I say you because I only have one advantage and want to see a picture of that shit for sure. 

Edit: Now I kind of want to try this, so I called my local shop to see if they have an advantage in stock. They don't, so its back on you, Morbis

I have a NIB Advantage, but I don't know if I have a second one.  I'll dig through my NES crate of random stuff and see if there's another Advantage in there tonight or tomorrow...

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
7 hours ago, NESfiend said:

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I have a NIB Advantage, but I don't know if I have a second one.  I'll dig through my NES crate of random stuff and see if there's another Advantage in there tonight or tomorrow...

I played Spook-o-tron with a quick shot and an advantage and it was very difficult.   Dual advantages would be the best to try but the size may be prohibitive. 

Well I couldn't find a second NES Advantage, but I did up my score a little by getting to the boss of level 3: the two Cobra Snakes before succumbing (after killing one and almost killing the other, Ughhh).  Apparently there's only a couple of rooms and then the final showdown with the Host after that, so I hope I can beat this game before my thumbs fall off...

2 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

I think I’m going to try a max controller tonight. Might be a little easier on the thumbs. 

Im not sure, but I think max controller may be prohibited for contests. Anything with a turbo button generally is. Before going down that road, you may want to check @BeaIank and @guillavoieguillavoiet

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

I think I’m going to try a max controller tonight. Might be a little easier on the thumbs. 

12 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Im not sure, but I think max controller may be prohibited for contests. Anything with a turbo button generally is. Before going down that road, you may want to check @BeaIank and @guillavoieguillavoiet

Playing with NES Max controller(s) is okay as long as the turbo option is off at all time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, guillavoie said:

Playing with NES Max controller(s) is okay as long as the turbo option is off at all time.

I would just be using it to move the player with my left hand cause that is the thumb that takes a beating. I would be using a regular NES controller in the other hand to fire. I don’t think the turbo could even be used with that set up. 

Edited by Darth Vader

Events Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

I would just be using it to move the player with my left hand cause that is the thumb that takes a beating. I would be using a regular NES controller in the other hand to fire. I don’t think the turbo could even be used with that set up. 

Oh yeah, I get it, and from the last time I played this game with two regular controllers, this sounds like a very good idea!

3 hours ago, guillavoie said:

Oh yeah, I get it, and from the last time I played this game with two regular controllers, this sounds like a very good idea!

Just finished a run with the Max. Thumb made it through unscathed. The only downside is that it's kind of funky holding it sideways with the design of the controller. Those "ergonomic" fins force you to hold it on a slight angle which takes a little getting used to.

4 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

That's weird - for me it's my right thumb that takes a beating because I sort of hover around the center of the room in a little diamond and try not to move too much but I am constantly changing my shooting direction with my right thumb like multiple times a second sometimes, so my right thumb is the one that's 'bout ready to die...

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That's weird - for me it's my right thumb that takes a beating because I sort of hover around the center of the room in a little diamond and try not to move too much but I am constantly changing my shooting direction with my right thumb like multiple times a second sometimes, so my right thumb is the one that's 'bout ready to die...

I'm flying all over the place trying to pick up as much cash and prizes as possible. The constant bobbing and weaving between baddies tears my thumb to shreds. Also, I work a manual labor job and am right handed so maybe my right thumb is just a bit more used to the abuse.

On 3/23/2021 at 10:02 PM, Californication said:

One caveat with using Advantages in a twin stick arrangement is that if you don't plug both plugs of one of them into ports 1 and 2, some signals from the joysticks may get dropped. Maybe it was just the ones I've seen, but I've had that happen with more than one Advantage, and another brand of arcade stick that used two plugs.

I keep dying on the room "Metal Death" on the second floor. It's really hard to have to turn and shoot using one controller on the second floor. I guess I need to pull out a second controller.

Edit: omg this is a dif. game with two controllers. Lol I honestly never read the instructions on the main screen. When I saw 4 options I assumed it was like how you can damage other players etc. on battletoads.

Edited by Californication

3 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

I'm flying all over the place trying to pick up as much cash and prizes as possible. The constant bobbing and weaving between baddies tears my thumb to shreds. Also, I work a manual labor job and am right handed so maybe my right thumb is just a bit more used to the abuse.

I think part of it for me is that my left thumb is used to decades of D-pad twitching, while my right thumb has never felt this kind of abuse in it's life - it's used to just pushing round red buttons really fast...

Anway, I beat the Twin Cobras tonight and then died on the last room before the final boss, aaaarrrrggghhh!  It wouldn't really bother me with any other game because I would just hit start and try again, but with this game, I can literally only play one game per day because of how hard it is on my thumbs, so each attempt requires like a 24 hour rest period before the next one.  Oh wells...

EDIT, and I wanted to mention, this is definitely an awesome game, but it really irks me that it resets your life count to five at the start of each level; I've always got like double digit lives at the end of level 1, then sure enough, level 2 starts and I'm down to five.  My copy also stops playing the background music when I die until I beat the current room; I'm not sure if this is a bug or what but it doesn't really affect gameplay at all, so whatever...

Edited by Dr. Morbis