IGNORED

The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (81/115)

Red

1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

first post has some recommendations in it i believe, need to look and make sure nothing is beaten, but red keeps up with it pretty decently well.

Nice. Once survivor is over I will try to beat one or a couple on the list

1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

first post has some recommendations in it i believe, need to look and make sure nothing is beaten, but red keeps up with it pretty decently well.

22 hours ago, Makar said:

I keep the suggestions list in the second post updated as well, so any beaten games are crossed out.  Here are a few other possible games of interest:

Ghostbusters - Have you played the NES version and thought it was terrible, but had potential?  If so, I'd say give this one a try.  It has much improved gameplay, sound, and graphics.

Golvellius: Valley of Doom - I didn't really like this one, but it has it fans.  Hybrid side scrolling action and overhead zelda-like.

R.C. Grand Prix - A rather simple overhead racer, but still a lot of fun.  

3 hours ago, Red said:

Ghostbusters - Have you played the NES version and thought it was terrible, but had potential?  If so, I'd say give this one a try.  It has much improved gameplay, sound, and graphics.

Bye far the best ghostbusters game of the era, if not ever.   Even the ps3 version. 🤔... Meh.!!       If my SMS hadn't been stolen many years back, I'd totally be all in on working on this challenge. Whole heatedly appreciate you doing these obscure challenges @Red.   I watch with nostalgia glasses and loving seeing the old graphics again..   also had my vb stolen in same heist,. Wish I could've been in that challenge too.. tldr..   thanks bro

Of the games in the first post, I've previously beaten Alex Kidd: High Tech World, Cyborg Hunter, E-Swat, Ghostbusters, Kung-Fu Kid, Vigilante, and Y's [sic].

Ys takes a little while, but the others are all short and relatively easy, with the exception of the stupid roadblock in the Alex Kidd game. With Ghostbusters the main thing is that the password you get after your first attempt will make your next attempts easier.

Kung Fu Kid, just jump over everyone; Vigilante, just spam weapons at the bosses (IIRC). With ESWAT there are two ROM variants, one harder than the other, but if you're methodical, either one is very doable. Cyborg Hunter is a tiny bit more involved but once you get the basic gameplay loop down, I remember it as being pretty straightforward.

Not sure which game I'll do next. I was messing around with Golden Axe Warrior and it was amusing, but I don't know if I want to deal with an extended Zelda-style adventure right now. Might try one or more of the 3D games since I've owned the glasses for ages and feel as though I ought to make use of them!

Edited by bronzeshield

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (55/115)
  • The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (56/115)

Golden Axe Warrior is complete.  

Some thoughts - totally competent action RPG that master system owners could easily point to as a Legend of Zelda experience on their console (perhaps even better!). 

The good: Incredible music, graphics and labyrinth design.  Some funny moments too, like that dumbass Ax Battler talking to you like an infant and casually mentioning that Death Adder killed his sister "the poor kid".  He then proceeds to sell you mission critical items... like, dude, I'm trying to save the world here, would it kill you to just give me the scroll you're hanging on to, jerk?

The not-so-good: This game's money system is imbalanced.  You can only carry 255 horns, and anything worth buying exhausts the majority of your horns. Horns themselves are also pretty scarce overall. 

Also, for the majority of the game, I felt grossly underpowered.  Making it close to the end of a labyrinth only to get slaughtered by a room full of...seashells?  Save often!  I left many labyrinths midway through to backtrack, save, and re-enter.  The enemies respawn, but all other progress is saved, so it's a good way to keep from losing all progress, especially on a really tough labyrinth.  

20210524_122728.jpg

20210524_122835.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (59/115)

Ys Vanished Omens complete.  Such a classic.  Very short if not for the required level grinding.  Really only consists of 3 "Dungeons" and the final tower can be seriously frustrating.  Had to trek all the back from the final door to grab something I missed that is required to open it.  

20210528_124305.jpg

20210528_143729.jpg

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (60/115)
  • The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (62/115)

Gave up on Shooting Gallery for the day, I am really struggling with that one. 

Wanted complete.  That final level was Tough, but that hidden bomb in the barrel is super helpful.  Final boss isn't so bad if you just take it slow and focus primarily on the Dynamite sticks first, and then just shoot the boss only when it is convenient.  Lastly, the blood splatter when you shoot your enemies is great!  

20210529_203726.jpg

20210529_203744.jpg

Edited by RoyalT
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (63/115)

Alex Kidd in Miracle World complete.  Never really liked this one.  It has some charm, but a game that relies on precision jumping and timing that doesn't have tight controls is going to frustrate you to no end!!  Always feel like I'm walking on ice in this game and certain screens towards the end of the game are complete (multiple) deathtraps.  

20210531_132445.jpg

20210531_133150.jpg

Put the finishing touches in Golvellius today.  Been playing through it slowly over the last week or so.  Sega calling me a moron was definitely one of the highlights.  

I enjoy this one overall, but it has many faults.  Endless enemy spawning and not being able to turn Kelesis around in the platforming sections to kill enemies approaching from behind are among the top annoyances.  

20210530_152356.jpg

20210531_181240.jpg

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (65/115)

Wonderboy III complete.  Great game in many top 10s.  Not a surprise to see that long after the death of the Master System, people still talk about this one.  

I'm going to try and wrap up Spellcaster soon as well.  

Anyone else working on anything?

Zillion 2 is another I'd like to finish as well.  Love the first game, but hate the second.  It's a quick playthrough though, so I'll just bite the bullet. 

20210602_130315.jpg

20210602_130341.jpg

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (67/115)
5 hours ago, RoyalT said:

Anyone else working on anything?

I haven't played much lately.  I think I'll continue to insist that I'm going to go back to Space Harrier, even though I haven't touched it in over a month.

I did try Maze Hunter 3D over the weekend.  It seemed pretty easy, but I had to stop playing because the 3D glasses were so small and uncomfortable.

9 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

I tried Fantasy Zone: The Maze and Strider. Neither were games that I see myself beating in the next 18 days. FZ:TM's requirement -- 51 stages! -- is especially appalling, though at least you can start at Stage 25 or whatever it is.

Haha, I attempted it as well and share your pain!  It wasn't one I played at all growing up, so I was starting at zero.  It would take me a while to master and you're right, we are running out if time!

Spellcaster complete.  Spaghetti for everyone!  

Prefer this over Mystic Defender, but that may he the nostalgia talking.  This game has a nice balance between point and click adventure and action.  Mixing in shmup elements was also cool.  Found myself wasting magic on the shmup sections, one of the limitations of the 2 button controllers at the time.  

Final Demon Boss was a bit of a pushover, with the only real challenge coming in the final form where the lightening bolts were one hit kills.  Highly recommend this game.  

20210602_161837.jpg

20210602_161853.jpg

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (68/115)
11 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

I tried Fantasy Zone: The Maze and Strider. Neither were games that I see myself beating in the next 18 days. FZ:TM's requirement -- 51 stages! -- is especially appalling, though at least you can start at Stage 25 or whatever it is.

What's appalling about that?  The stages aren't very long and, personally, I think it's a lot of fun.

Strider though, that one's a chore to play.  I won't be touching it.