IGNORED

The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (81/115)

Red

Editorials Team · Posted

I started playing Alex Kidd in High Tech World. This game is ridiculous, lol. The only way to find all the papers is to explore and try things out, but anything could unexpectedly give you a Game Over. I could do that first section with my eyes closed now, but I finally passed it and got a password. Still hacking away.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (40/115)
  • The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (41/115)

I haven't given up on Space Harrier, but I've been trying some other games over the past few days.  I wound up beating Great Basketball (I'll post the picture a bit later) and I've come very close to beating Golden Axe.  I'll probably give it at least one more go tonight.

Also, I'm changing the win conditions for California Games.  It seems you always win the special trophy when you're playing single player since there are no other competitors.  I think beating all the high scores would make more sense.

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (42/115)
  • The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (43/115)

Well, I'm gonna have to dig the ol' SMS out and fire up a few of these.  I've previously beaten three games on the unbeaten list (long before the thread began however), and honestly, there aren't that many true stinkers on the Master System.  There's a lot of average, and not many true gems, but I have yet to play a game that wasn't at least fun for a time.

Now, the OP made it clear he's not planning to do this again, but if someone else picks up the reins, I'd suggest throwing the European games as well, as the stuff that didn't make it stateside makes an impressive lineup - not to mention that even with all of them it's less than a game per day.  Just something to think about if anyone wants to turn it into a yearly thing like some of the other threads.  It's definitely a library worth exploring...and one I will soon attempt to explore a bit more soon enough...

• 2 weeks later...

Penguin Land is done!  This was a game that I liked in small doses, but didn't ever see myself playing all the way through.  I really got into it this time though and got through it over a few days.  The last 21 stages have to be beaten in one sitting, so I had to leave it on overnight.  It would have been nice if it had a password feature.  It starts out on the hard side, but the later levels aren't that much tougher (a couple were surprisingly easy).  Pretty fun game.  I'd recommend it to anyone who is into puzzle platformers.

penguin.JPG.cb74bc032af6165527b322a323704ecc.JPG

Also beat Alex Kidd: Shinobi World and Castle of Illusion earlier on.  Alex Kidd was a disappointment.  I had heard good things, but I thought it was pretty dull.  Castle of Illusion was a bit of a let down too, but still a decent game.  I should give the Genesis version a try someday.

AlexShin.JPG.c6745d317484e842a5e73b994bd73b45.JPG

castleof.JPG.9db7949817b2d9aa7a9c051d12efa7ab.JPG

• Like 2

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (46/115)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (47/115)

Alright, Miracle Warriors complete! 

Miracle Warriors is one that sends me right back to the late 80s.  A true grind, but so rewarding once you finish it.  This isn't a game that holds your hand and that final dungeon warping you to other dungeons across the world map is just straight up cruel.  The final battle with Terarin lives up to the hype as well and is impossibly difficult if you can't get your stone of protection to work - she's a beast.

20210519_134721.jpg

20210519_135636.jpg

20210519_135653.jpg

• Like 1

Rocky and Rastan complete.  Two of my childhood games.  Clubber Lang gave my a much harder time than Drago, today.  Normally I struggle with Drago a lot more, but I did great on the last training session and not so great on the second one.  

Rastan has killer music, terrible jump mechanics, and unforgiving level design with some of the god**** fire and water traps.   Still a special game for me.  

20210519_181417.jpg

20210519_184803.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 10:28 PM, Red said:

I tried a few different games earlier today, but couldn't manage to beat any of them, so I just raced through Snail Maze to keep up my streak of beating at least one a day.

snail.jpg.27ca10550da69c5541101055a176de97.jpg

Love that you added this to the challenge!  Finding out we had a bonus game built in to our master system that already had hang-on and safari hunt was exciting!

Last one for the night.  **** this game.  Shinobi complete.  Yes, this is what they reward you with for finishing the game.  Last stage deliberately butchers you in 5-2.  5-3 is a breeze though and the masked devil forces damage on you in his final form which I've always detested.  

Anyway, the master system port of the arcade game was a worthy substitute for us who didn't have access to the arcade cab.  

The PC Engine port is the definitive home version for me though. 

20210519_201345.jpg

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (52/115)
15 hours ago, RoyalT said:

Love that you added this to the challenge!  Finding out we had a bonus game built in to our master system that already had hang-on and safari hunt was exciting!

I didn't even know about back in the day!  I found out about it years later on the internet.

Also, nice job on the five completions in one day.

On 5/17/2021 at 2:46 PM, Makar said:

Looks like deafcode beat me to it. Actually a decent game btw

There are a bunch of decent games on the Sega Master System.  Why not give another a try?

Tried tackling Zillion yesterday, but didn't have the stamina to make it through.  Missed a floppy disk somewhere and didn't feel like backtracking.  Fired it up on classic reload while working today and completed it. 

Another top 10 master system game for me.  The programmers instructing you to enter the suicide code at the end of the game is pretty hilarious.  

The ultimate rage quit moment would come at the end of the game if you haven't plotted your escape route.  There is very little room for error.  I believe I made it out with only 12 or 15 seconds left.  At least they had the foresight to remove all enemies (other than the final boss of course lol) and laser barriers during your escape, otherwise you'd be screwed. 

20210520_124527.jpg

20210520_125106.jpg

Edited by RoyalT

OK, Rambo: First Blood Part II is done:

IMG_20210520_205257865.jpeg.2ec7649f29eea31cb8232dc207e2d202.jpeg

Going around tanks in the last level seems to help keep the bouncing bombs from spawning -- probably a sprite limit issue.

IMG_20210520_205310938.jpeg.fd53f0e61e11aeca5da1e203a793ae35.jpeg

IMG_20210520_205317988.jpeg.51912c36aa525e5133e65de76f8e926c.jpeg

This game is hard, but easy, if that makes sense. Once you learn it, it's quite playable -- and despite some cheap shots here and there, it's a damn sight better than NES Ikari Warriors, of which it's an obvious clone (the arcade version anyway).

• Like 1

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (54/115)
9 hours ago, Red said:

I didn't even know about back in the day!  I found out about it years later on the internet.

Also, nice job on the five completions in one day.

There are a bunch of decent games on the Sega Master System.  Why not give another a try?

I don’t own a sega master system and know very little about it. What do you recommend?

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Makar said:

I don’t own a sega master system and know very little about it. What do you recommend?

first post has some recommendations in it i believe, need to look and make sure nothing is beaten, but red keeps up with it pretty decently well.