IGNORED

The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (81/115)

Red

3 minutes ago, Red said:

So, you're not actually racing against the computer and the points don't matter, right?  If so, I think we can call it done.

Also, I beat Slap Shot.  I'll post a picture later tonight.

You are racing against the computer but you aren't ranked 1st,2nd,3rd when you finish a course, it only cares of you beat the course time. You get points when you successfully beat the time which you can use to buy upgrades. But I think they only last one round? You lose all your points when you get a game over. I don't see any complete playthroughs on YouTube. But I'm pretty sure there isn't an "ending" screen.

8 minutes ago, acromite53 said:

You are racing against the computer but you aren't ranked 1st,2nd,3rd when you finish a course, it only cares of you beat the course time. You get points when you successfully beat the time which you can use to buy upgrades. But I think they only last one round? You lose all your points when you get a game over. I don't see any complete playthroughs on YouTube. But I'm pretty sure there isn't an "ending" screen.

Okay, we'll call this one done.

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (11/115)

Psycho Fox is done.  I haven't played it in years and it's not as good as I remember.  Too many blind jumps.  The picture below it is for Slap Shot.  I didn't have my camera ready again and only got one terrible shot.

fox.JPG.01b1109814dfc82a0389f640ff38de44.JPG

slap.JPG.f01c8f42713303f9fa95cbfae029fee5.JPG

Edited by Red
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (12/115)

Beat Hang-On. It was fun going back to the Master System version. I really like Super Hang On on Genesis. Hang On and World Grand Prix are very much alike. Hang On plays a lot better due to the hitboxes and how steering on corners works. Too bad Outrun doesn't run as smooth as this.

This was Level 3 8 courses beaten.

20210322_173247.jpg

Edited by acromite53

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (14/115)

My Hero is done.  It seems it loops the same 3 stages forever and the enemies go faster each loop, so I think one loop is good enough.  I did three loops and lost attempting the fourth.  I played again just to get this shot of the end of the first loop.

hero.JPG.1a4eaeb0e1d3510e807a5d6b35fa2b39.JPG

4 hours ago, acromite53 said:

Beat Hang-On. It was fun going back to the Master System version. I really like Super Hang On on Genesis. Hang On and World Grand Prix are very much alike. Hang On plays a lot better due to the hitboxes and how steering on corners works. Too bad Outrun doesn't run as smooth as this.

This was Level 3 8 courses beaten.

20210322_173247.jpg

Nice.  You're really racing through those racing games.  Are you going to attempt R.C. Grand Prix and Super Monaco G.P.?

Events Team · Posted

Oh boy, oh boy!
I do love me some Master System so I will be getting into this.
But question... Can I beat Hokuto no Ken instead of Black Belt?
And Monica no Castelo do Dragão instead of Wonderboy in Wonderland and Turma da Monica em: O Resgate instead of Wonderboy: Dragon's Trap?

48 minutes ago, acromite53 said:

No, I wish. Unfortunately I don't have those games. I'm working on Altered Beast right now and having a tough time with it.

Ah, I guess I'll try Super Monaco again.  I played a bit on Sunday and lost about an hour in.  I think it goes on way too long for a racing game.

43 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Oh boy, oh boy!
And Monica no Castelo do Dragão instead of Wonderboy in Wonderland and Turma da Monica em: O Resgate instead of Wonderboy: Dragon's Trap?

They only changed the sprites in the Wonder Boy games, right?  If that's the case, the Brazilian versions are okay.

As for Hokuto No Ken/Black Belt, it seems they changed one of the bosses for the US release, so I think we should stick to that version.

Edited by Red

5 minutes ago, Splain said:

Ok, I finally beat the anti-Tetris known as Columns. Took me a bunch of tries. I promise it was on Hard with High 9. The "level" shown always starts at 0 and goes up as you play.

EpnK9aG.png

Only four days in and, with this clear, we're already down to the final 100 games!

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (15/115)
Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

Oh boy, oh boy!

I vote yes.

I thought I'd try a few more sports games and wound up beating Great Soccer and Great Volleyball.  I didn't like Great Soccer very much, but it was very short and easy.  There wan't any sort of tournament mode, so I'm going to say winning one game is good enough.

Great Volleyball surprised me.  The "Great" sports games aren't known to be very good, but I didn't think this one was all that bad.  The ball movements were strange at times and the controls were occasionally unresponsive, but once I got the hang of it it was pretty fun.

Great Soccer:

soccer.JPG.f4132d7527e2dcabbc38cbb549444618.JPG

Great Volleyball

vol.JPG.f476ad609dabcf84bfb3cca5cfe66f4d.JPG

vol2.JPG.14c8cbb8340d44cf436afbc00d33b57a.JPG

Just got to the final boss of Altered Beast for the first time. Got a game over. 😕 I'm sure I can do this after a few more goes. I'm really interested to pop in the Genesis version when I'm finished with this to compare and have my mind blown. This version is soo choppy. It's really struggling. Not sure why. Maybe because of the huge sprites? Or are they actually animated background tiles?

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (17/115)
27 minutes ago, acromite53 said:

This version is soo choppy. It's really struggling. Not sure why. Maybe because of the huge sprites? Or are they actually animated background tiles?

You've got it! This and Golden Axe use background tiles for most (all?) characters and enemies. The results aren't a feast for the eyes in motion, but since they look quite plausible in screenshots, maybe it was a calculated decision for exactly that reason.

I beat a pile of SMS games last year and Altered Beast was one of them. I think it only took a day or two to go from getting my ass handed to me to 1CC'ing the game, so you're probably close!

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (18/115)

Super Monaco G.P. is done.  I didn't like the feel of it as much as the other SMS racers, but it had a couple nice features.  I like how the manual transmission works (you don't have to gas/break with it, just change gears to control speed).  Giving the option practice a track before playing was nice.  I wound up practicing the last few tracks a few times each so I didn't have to restart again.

GP.JPG.32295f21a13e5292b8e117223d7d6fb9.JPG

• Like 1

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (19/115)
  • The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (20/115)

I finally beat Altered Beast! That was incredibly frustrating. You need to memorize all the enemy patterns because there is little room for error. I died way too many times on the final boss because my jump input would not register. It only takes one failed jump for the boss to combo you causing instant death. On my winning attempt I started using A+B to jump instead of B+C. I found that I could jump more consistently with that button combo. (genesis controller).

I need to play the Genesis version again. I've never beaten that one.

I think I'll give Choplifter a try next.

20210326_165023.jpg

Edited by acromite53

• The title was changed to The Spring Sega Challenge! Beat the Sega Master System Library in 3 months (23/115)