IGNORED

TMNT: Shredders Revenge

a3quit4s

Yeah it's out, handles quite well, but even on the starting difficulty, after you get a few stages in, it's not a push over either due to the lite-RPG leveling mechanics in place.  Each character can be ranked up too adding more meat to the bones of the game to keep it fresh longer.

Totally agree on that, and depending how much I continue to dig it and if I end up enjoying the music I'm looking towards play-asia.  Retail $35 price tag for Switch, but it comes with the full sound track thrown in and some little diorama too.  Best bundle outside of wanting to go stupid on the $200 box of fluff.

On 6/17/2022 at 3:09 PM, Californication said:

After watching the Electric Underground review, I'll be going with the standard U.S. release. The LRG VHS box looks great imo, but I don't think this is going to go down as one of my fav games to play.

It was definitely a great game. I would give it a 10/10

I do think there are some things missing, but that’s just me being picky about my TMNT wishlist.

My wife and I are playing through it and having a blast. Easy 10/10 beat em up for me. I can’t say it’s better than turtles in time or any TMNT arcade game because it wouldn’t exist without them. Maybe not what BOTW was to the Zelda series but definitely just a fun ass game and pays homage to those before it and sets itself apart without blending into the background. The foot clan just doing random shit in stages is my favorite thing so far. 

Since I last posted I got quite a few more hours on and offline with it, also cleared the game with one turtle so far so I got the nice unlockable reward for that too.

That said the game isn't perfect, but it's perfectly fun.  It has what I learned was a term due to this called hyper armor.  Hyper armor simply is you can start up a move and do it, and in that moment of time taken you can not be staggered to finish a move but you can still take damage, even fatal damage.  EVery old turtle arcade game and the 16bitters on SNES/Genesis didn't do this (even NES 2 an 3 didn't.)  It sucks on that point only, because some stages have some horseshit requirement to take no damage to win a challenge, largely finding, people online are failing this stupid requirement, and it plays back to hyper armor.  Instead like most brawlers have done since the 80s where you're clear from taking a hit while doing a hit, this one allows it so it's something to be aware of.  Outside of that, the game is really fun, pretty nice boss strategies and patterns, but also the foot thugs do too, you can't wail on them and hope not to pay for it in return...they're smarter, and have a few more hitpoints too.

If you paraelled the design enough it really apes the hell out of the stages from TMNT Arcade, TMNT 2 Arcade, TMNT 2 and 3 NES, and TMNT4 SNES and 5(?) Hyperstone Heist.  Every last stage from the game is an homage to stages from all six of those titles.  The beach from TMNT3 NES has a similar stage, the bridge from turtles in time (either) is similarly there, and so on.  The overworld map is kind of a gentle nod to TMNT1 NES with the little turtle wagon and spaces to drive to each area next to go.  Various trigger moves of the past like the temporary endlessly spinner move to clear a space pizza is there, blowing up drums with a whack to do crowd control, etc.

Basically you'll be largely comfy with it had you enjoyed any of those 2 arcade, 2 NES, and 2 16bit SNES/Gen games from the franchise as it borrows from all but in good ways so it's not stale as the grunts all think smarter, last longer, and behave differently.  Running in stupid and just mashing B will get your ass handed to you :)

On 6/17/2022 at 3:09 PM, Californication said:

After watching the Electric Underground review, I'll be going with the standard U.S. release. The LRG VHS box looks great imo, but I don't think this is going to go down as one of my fav games to play.

I agree with The Electric Underground. Shredder's Revenge is a nostalgia hit, represents the Turtles universe well, has fun things going on in the background, and is fine for dumb fun with friends. If you're hoping for a technically solid beat em up, this isn't it.

• Recharging your super meter with taunts lets you use supers way too often, especially in multiplayer where it's easier to get in a taunt while the other players occupy the enemies, maybe even with supers of their own. On the other hand, a lot of bosses seem to be maybe designed around this, with only short windows where you can safely attack. And even then, a lot of the time the boss won't get hitstunned if you use normal attacks and can knock you out of your combo so you have dodge roll away.
  • A lot of bosses, maybe around half, have long phases where you just have to dodge stuff and can't attack them. Again, it seems like this may have been designed around the ill-conceived taunt feature.
  • Tons of enemy types have superarmor.
  • No i-frames on throws makes them something you rarely want to do. This is especially bad on the Chrome Dome fight, where you have to throw enemies into the screen. You're almost guaranteed to take a hit while doing so.
  • Lots of enemies will break your grab, further reducing the usefulness of throws.
  • As far as I can tell, the number of enemies is the same whether you're playing solo or with 6 players.
  • There's almost no respawn invincibility.
  • In general, when playing solo on Gnarly (highest) difficulty, the game pushes you into a style of play where you're frequently dodging out of your attacks.
  • The game is way too long for a beat em up. Streets of Rage 4 stretched the limit of how long a beat em up should be at around an hour and a half for a solo playthrough. Shredder's Revenge goes beyond that at around 2 hours.
Edited by LHCGreg
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

That plays back to the idea of the hyper armor, you don't get any freebies when performing moves and can get hit, even a last hit(killed) when doing move which make combos and throws a gamble of increasing value.

But no you're wrong, when you have more players it ups the amount of characters.  The difficulty on whatever level doesn't change based on the players directly, as in the AI doesn't get brighter, it just throws more stuff at you at a proportionate level to the amount of people playing at any time.  I've had it flex the amount depending on if you say start with 4 and 2 drop, or maybe start with 2 and +1 joins, the next spawn point adjusts this.

I guess the game does have a dodge, is that the I guess B(rightmost) button on the 360 style pad where you either backstep or roll/slide forward into a target?  I usually use this to jump across a screen fast to smack something that comes in from the opposite site.  I find it closes distance to target fast enough they don't have time to react as well.

I’ve found that if you are not fighting, enemies don’t really mess with you. My daughters played with me and one of them never even really presses the attack button and enemies largely just leave her alone. Especially bosses..  if you put the controller down in a boss fight (multiplayer) the boss will not touch you, they just focus on who is fighting 

• 2 weeks later...

I played through about 90% of the game with a buddy online the other night and found it pretty enjoyable. It definitely evokes the older style beat-em-ups with a few modern additions. My biggest complaints are that it's actually way too easy on the normal difficulty and the taunt to power-up is kind of broken. You pretty much always have max specials available for every single battle. Also, as others have mentioned, it's pretty buggy, particularly when it comes to the challenges.

Overall it's worth a playthrough, but I'm not sure I'll return to it any time soon. On a side note, my son loves it, so maybe he'll give the old games a chance now.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i have this preordered physically on Switch through Amazon. It is supposed to have a release date of October 11th (next Tuesday). This morning i get an email that the expected delivery is November 11-14. I know the XBox (and possibly PS) version(s) got pushed back to 10/25, but that's all i can see. 

Anybody have any info on if/when this will ship? i was REALLY hoping to have it before my birthday party weekend (10/21) so i could play with friends. If no better updates, i guess i'll be calling around locally on Tuesday to see if it actually came out anywhere.

• Angry 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, twiztor said:

i have this preordered physically on Switch through Amazon. It is supposed to have a release date of October 11th (next Tuesday). This morning i get an email that the expected delivery is November 11-14. I know the XBox (and possibly PS) version(s) got pushed back to 10/25, but that's all i can see. 

Anybody have any info on if/when this will ship? i was REALLY hoping to have it before my birthday party weekend (10/21) so i could play with friends. If no better updates, i guess i'll be calling around locally on Tuesday to see if it actually came out anywhere.

Damn.  Just got the same notification.  I blame Bezos.

• Like 1

i am on a rush against time to make sure i have this game before next Friday. To that end, after getting the aforementioned Amazon email, i proceeded to preorder from Target (this was on 10/9, still showing the 10/11 release date, and an expected 10/18 delivery). Two days later (so on release date, 10/11), i get a "delayed until 10/25" email from Target. Also, i checked with the local indy game store, and they said they still have the 10/11 date on file but won't see the game "for at least a week after that".

Best Buy shows they have it available for immediate shipping (not in store in my town), so i have ALSO ordered it from them. when/if i get an actual shipping notification, i will cancel my other preorders.

Gamestop is also showing they have it available for immediate shipping (also not in store in my town). So at least i have one more option if it comes to that.

On 10/12/2022 at 5:06 PM, fox said:

7E5AAE48-A122-40C2-AC4E-3EDD590D8F46.gif

that has been my Plan Z since the beginning. If i have to go digital, i will (in this instance only!). But i wanted to avoid that since i would likely end up double dipping if i did go that route.

Luckily, my Best Buy order is marked as shipped. Also, my Target order, one day after being delayed, has also shipped. so i guess i'll have 2 copies in time for bday fun times!

edit: games arrived today!

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

I remember the days when everyone would get their pre-order on the same day.

Mine should arrive today or tomorrow.  Luckily, I'm at the age where I can easily wait for a new game, so it really isn't that big of a deal for me, but it's still annoying that the deliveries are so messy these days.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1