IGNORED

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Intergrade

SailorScoutMandy

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

It's not on ps4 and I cant find a PS5. Why Sony, whyyyyy!!!!

I was telling people "this is gonna suck cuz later parts will be PS5 exclusive and we won't be able to play" and they were all like "that won't be for YEARS!".

AHUH? YEARS, EH? PS5s surely must be absolutely LINING the shelves by now, right?

Intergrade?  Well I already gave my grade...

Mr. Feeny in the Boy Meets World episode "Class Pre-Union" says it best (paraphrasing): SquareEnix made an attempt at this remake but didn't think it or even come close to completing it all the way through.  So until and unless SquareEnix gets their act together and actually finishes what it started, there's only one grade I can give it...an INCOMPLETE.  Yes, that's a grade of I.  Lower than an F.  Down there by M!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

I

On 3/9/2021 at 7:30 PM, Estil said:

Intergrade?  Well I already gave my grade...

Mr. Feeny in the Boy Meets World episode "Class Pre-Union" says it best (paraphrasing): SquareEnix made an attempt at this remake but didn't think it or even come close to completing it all the way through.  So until and unless SquareEnix gets their act together and actually finishes what it started, there's only one grade I can give it...an INCOMPLETE.  Yes, that's a grade of I.  Lower than an F.  Down there by M!!

It's not an incomplete game at all. This fundamentally misunderstands what's going on with the story. It's very spoilery, so I won't explain it here, but the last part of Remake pt. 1 is a real mind trip. 

My only gripes with Intergrade are that there is no physical Deluxe version, and that the Yuffie DLC isn't on disc. It's especially annoying in light of the Sony CMOS crap. 

• Like 1

I'm really hoping this gets a Series X release. We've just recently passed the one year exclusivity period for the PS4 version (April 12th), so I've got my fingers crossed. I still have the PS5 version preordered, but I'll cancel that if an Xbox version is announced and still includes the Yuffie episode.

• Like 2

I know it's like predicting water will be wet, but I've been saying for years that when SE finally went to milk the FFVII cash cow, by god were they going to bleed every cent they absolutely could. And surely enough...

On 4/20/2021 at 10:30 AM, VegHead said:

It's not an incomplete game at all. This fundamentally misunderstands what's going on with the story. It's very spoilery, so I won't explain it here, but the last part of Remake pt. 1 is a real mind trip. 

My only gripes with Intergrade are that there is no physical Deluxe version, and that the Yuffie DLC isn't on disc. It's especially annoying in light of the Sony CMOS crap. 

Semantics. They may call it "episodic" but they're still doling it out bit by bit. Also as my buddy likes to say, the "R" stands for Retcon, not remake lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Semantics. They may call it "episodic" but they're still doling it out bit by bit. Also as my buddy likes to say, the "R" stands for Retcon, not remake lol.

Spoiler

The "Remake" in FF7 Remake's title definitely means retcon. The game/story being remade is an in-universe thing. After finishing the game, it's obvious why they didn't call it "FF7 Remake part 1".

Whether you like that aspect is, uhh... Let's just say I loved everything else in the game.

23 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

I know it's like predicting water will be wet, but I've been saying for years that when SE finally went to milk the FFVII cash cow, by god were they going to bleed every cent they absolutely could. And surely enough...

Again, this really shows you don't know what you're talking about here. There is no "doling out" happening. The game is so huge it comes with a second blu-ray containing game assets that have to be installed on the PS4 to allow the game to run. Even XV doesn't have that, and it's a massive game, too. 

I'm not trying to be a dick or a fanboy. I think SE is milking shit with this Intergrade re-release all of a year later, and they deserve flak for it. It's totally bogus, and even with the "free" upgrade to PS5 for people that bought the launch release, the restrictions on it piss me off, and even people that actually buy a physical copy don't get the digital premiums or the new dlc on disc.  Talk about treating your early-adopting fans poorly.

That said, all of that crap is probably management level decisions, and the actual developers deserve a lot of credit for what the game is. It's a complete game, whether you like it or not, and it isn't just semantics. They are telling a new story here using the trappings of the original game. That's why it isn't a retcon, either.  The story has a very clear narrative arc that is fully resolved, while still touching on the broader conflict developing with Sephiroth/JENOVA. The game even takes the time to explain what's changing and why.  

I know internet arguments never change people's minds, but if you liked VII and the Compilation material, you're doing yourself a disservice by skipping this game.  It really is worth your time, the shitty management and marketing notwithstanding. 

6 hours ago, VegHead said:

I know internet arguments never change people's minds, but if you liked VII and the Compilation material, you're doing yourself a disservice by skipping this game.

Does anyone really like the Compilation stuff though?

I think that's the crux of the issue here. FF7R does an amazing job at rediscovering what actually made the original FF7 great, and so much better than all the other milking of the franchise done since its release.

Spoiler

All the way until the final stretch of the game where they reveal FF7R is actually a semi-sequel to Advent Children 🤮

Edited by Sumez

4 hours ago, fox said:

Crisis Core was pretty good to be fair

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

Fuckin' right it was.

4 hours ago, spacepup said:

I QUITE enjoyed Crisis Core.  It was WAY better than I expected, and I had a great time with it!

Oh man, I thought Crisis Core was an absolute slog. Hated it. And FF7 is one of my top ten, maybe top five all time favorite games.

On 4/27/2021 at 8:39 PM, VegHead said:

Again, this really shows you don't know what you're talking about here. There is no "doling out" happening. The game is so huge it comes with a second blu-ray containing game assets that have to be installed on the PS4 to allow the game to run. Even XV doesn't have that, and it's a massive game, too. 

I'm not trying to be a dick or a fanboy. I think SE is milking shit with this Intergrade re-release all of a year later, and they deserve flak for it. It's totally bogus, and even with the "free" upgrade to PS5 for people that bought the launch release, the restrictions on it piss me off, and even people that actually buy a physical copy don't get the digital premiums or the new dlc on disc.  Talk about treating your early-adopting fans poorly.

That said, all of that crap is probably management level decisions, and the actual developers deserve a lot of credit for what the game is. It's a complete game, whether you like it or not, and it isn't just semantics. They are telling a new story here using the trappings of the original game. That's why it isn't a retcon, either.  The story has a very clear narrative arc that is fully resolved, while still touching on the broader conflict developing with Sephiroth/JENOVA. The game even takes the time to explain what's changing and why.  

I know internet arguments never change people's minds, but if you liked VII and the Compilation material, you're doing yourself a disservice by skipping this game.  It really is worth your time, the shitty management and marketing notwithstanding. 

Again, they're taking what was previously a fully fleshed out entire singular game and dividing it up into multiple parts (and as you so helpfully pointed out with re-releases of the episodes no less). So yes they are doling it out bit by bit. So I don't know if you know what you're talking about lol

Also just because they "explained" the plot changes doesn't stop it from being an excuse to a retcon of it.

This is all to say that I don't think the game is garbage by any means, the graphics are gorgeous and the gameplay looks quite fun but to try and argue that this isn't anything but a giant cash grab by SE is I think is trying to be a bit intentionally naive in ignoring what are the trash exploiting of their fan base.

At some point I'll likely check out the game but probably either when it's all released in a proper compilation or when the price is greatly reduced. Also if it ever comes to PC since I don't personally own a PS4 or PS5 atm.