IGNORED

**VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contest Leaderboard & Rules 2021**

guillavoie

How the shit did I miss this back and forth between skinny and morbis? Topical. Im thinking skinny is going to be submitting some high scores to make that tourney though now for sure. Went from +200 to -475 to make the tourney, and thats probably still an alright price 

• Haha 1

@Dr. Morbis I don’t think the point system is flawed at all. It’s been done this way for a long time. I didn’t want to play the first half-ish of the season due to some personal issues. I like the fact that I can come in and possibly get to the tournament and fuck things up with my mediocre skills. 
Think aboot the people that played the first quarter/half and have dipped the fuck out. I look at it as I’m replacing them and giving you and others some better competition than you had. 
Maybe I’m wrong aboot this, but I doubt it 😂

Plus, Bea puts a lot of time into this for us to have some fun. 
Hope to play you in the tournament with a game I’m good at….. Yes…. I have games that I’m good at😉

• Like 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

@Dr. Morbis I don’t think the point system is flawed at all. It’s been done this way for a long time. I didn’t want to play the first half-ish of the season due to some personal issues. I like the fact that I can come in and possibly get to the tournament and fuck things up with my mediocre skills. 
Think aboot the people that played the first quarter/half and have dipped the fuck out. I look at it as I’m replacing them and giving you and others some better competition than you had. 

Hope to play you in the tournament with a game I’m good at….. Yes…. I have games that I’m good at😉

i mean the point system isnt perfect but you make a good point about replacing players that drop out. And you can be very good competition in your wheelhouse.

it does take away from the truly great players as you said some players are able to win against better competition but it does keep it interesting as far as underdogs. 

@Richardhead i love the fact that, at the time you won your crown, you had no wins prior. you certainly were not the best player that year but i laugh and laugh every time i think about sandaflah @Reed Rothchild crying whenever he thinks of or sees master higgins. it really is the meaning of my life. gawd i hope he wakes up in a sweat dreaming of stubbing his tow on a rock.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Richardhead said:

I totally don't mind the current system, as long as the number of tourney invites isn't too big.  If it's only top 8, then yeah, it's okay how it is.  But I honestly think it discourages participation in general if you literally don't feel like playing for four months, as you say, and then can get in the tourney anway.  Is that not BS?  Am I wrong?!?  Plus there's still no incentive to come in #1 at all each week under the current system.

I say 15 points for first and keep the rest of the points the same, and then top 8 make the playoffs.  That way the field is wide open for comebacks since there's an incentive to win for big points, but only the people truly participating most of the year will be rewarded with a spot in the tourney...

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Plus there's still no incentive to come in #1 at all each week under the current system.

Winning most weeks is very difficult. Even with only a small group of people playing, there are always a couple who either know the game well or go hard and beat it. Winning a week is its own reward. 

As far as your gripe, I have posted elsewhere I think the tourney should be seeded. We still want the skinny and dougs in the tourney, but they should be at some sort of disadvantage if they limp in only having played half a season. 

All in all though, this is supposed to be fun. It shouldnt take crazy dedication to make the tourney, but there should be incentive to participate each week. I like the scoring as is, but there should be some reward for playing week in and week out

26 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Winning most weeks is very difficult. Even with only a small group of people playing, there are always a couple who either know the game well or go hard and beat it. Winning a week is its own reward. 

As far as your gripe, I have posted elsewhere I think the tourney should be seeded. We still want the skinny and dougs in the tourney, but they should be at some sort of disadvantage if they limp in only having played half a season. 

All in all though, this is supposed to be fun. It shouldnt take crazy dedication to make the tourney, but there should be incentive to participate each week. I like the scoring as is, but there should be some reward for playing week in and week out

heres the thing i could easily get participation every week, nothing else and have 69 (haha sixty niiiine) points right now. less impressive than having a couple of wins even with all the dnf's imo

Edited by docile tapeworm

10 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

heres the thing i could easily get participation every week, nothing else and have 69 (haha sixty niiiine) points right now. less impressive than having a couple of wins even with all the dnf's imo

Totally agree as far as wins being the most impressive thing. But the contests week to week are more fun with lots of participants. And the wins feel bigger if we have 12 or 15 participants, even if 6 or 7 just put in an hour and a participation score. I dont care if its a casual run or not - Im still going to be jacked up to beat bert or doug whether I spent 1 hour or 10

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Totally agree as far as wins being the most impressive thing. But the contests week to week are more fun with lots of participants. And the wins feel bigger if we have 12 or 15 participants, even if 6 or 7 just put in an hour and a participation score. I dont care if its a casual run or not - Im still going to be jacked up to beat bert or doug whether I spent 1 hour or 10

i agree regular participation should be rewarded though. 

and i dont mean to say if you play one week  and win you should get a spot in the tourney. i think you should have to participate in probably half the contest or have a min point total to get in no matter how many wins.

one thing that might help participation is knowing how many players will get into the tournament. it used to be 8. then it was like 16, i think 12 one year. it always changes.

or if there was a rule that you had to participate in at least x many weeks, or you have to have x amount of points to get in the tourney than thats what i would do.  

ultimatley it up to the organizers and i respect all the time it takes them to put it on each year. they even listen to us cry and cry about our opinions of how it should be done. so.... ya.....

27 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

they even listen to us cry and cry about our opinions of how it should be done. so.... ya.....

Problem with putting the paremeters out there is people will do the bare minimum to get in. I like the mystery also not knowing how many invites, how it will be organized, etc. 

I agree the mods have a very thankless job and thats why I generally just go with the flow. But I do think they want to see their work rewarded with as much participation as possible, so these are conversations we should be having.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

one thing that might help participation is knowing how many players will get into the tournament. it used to be 8. then it was like 16, i think 12 one year. it always changes.

or if there was a rule that you had to participate in at least x many weeks, or you have to have x amount of points to get in the tourney than thats what i would do.  

ultimatley it up to the organizers and i respect all the time it takes them to put it on each year. they even listen to us cry and cry about our opinions of how it should be done. so.... ya.....

This is the issue that would totally solve everything right there: communication.  As I just said in the Gradius II thread, this is like the only contest I've ever been in that doesn't tell you what you need to do to advance or make the cut.  Like imagine if the NFL said, "yeah, we'll decide who's gonna make the playoffs in January at our discretion."  What would the reaction be?

In future years, it would be greatly appreciated if the powers that be would spell out exactly what's needed to get in, ie: top 8 total points, or most weekly wins, minimum two, and then points is the tie breaker, or whatever!  It doesn't even matter what's decided; what's important is that everyone knows the boundaries and the objective at the outset.

8 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Problem with putting the paremeters out there is people will do the bare minimum to get in. I like the mystery also not knowing how many invites, how it will be organized, etc.

To me, putting in the bare minimum to get in is fine, because at least those people have something to shoot for.  If the rules were like, "all participants with over 60 total points at season's end make the first round of the tourney," I guaran-damn-tee you that you'd get more participation out of the 30 and 40 point guys, because instead of just saying "fuck it, I'm too far back already, so what's the point in playing?" they start thinking, "well I'm only 20 points out with two months to go, this is totally do-able if I play every game."

Like I said above @NESfiend, I've honestly never seen a blind playoff race in my life before this, and as an avid sports fan, if they did this in the major league sports it would really piss me off!  Just tell me where the finish line is so I know what I'm up against already!!!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Dr. Morbis why wouldnt you want the best players in the tournament?

because they didnt have a high enough reg season point total?

weak sauce.

You don't get it: the best players ARE the ones with the highest regular season point totals!  That's exactly what the regular season of any league exists for.  That's its purpose.  Why do you want it to be like getting the Green Jacket at the Masters?  If you have one really good season performance then you should just get a bye into the playoffs for the rest of eternity? F-that!

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Winning a week is its own reward.

I need more than the promise of a warm and fuzzy feeling in my heart to make me want to spend dozens of hours of my personal time playing Nintendo for a contest each and every week, when I can get top 5 almost always with a single hour of play... 😛

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Like I said above @NESfiend, I've honestly never seen a blind playoff race in my life before this, and as an avid sports fan, if they did this in the major league sports it would really piss me off!  Just tell me where the finish line is so I know what I'm up against already!!!!!

For this regard, look at the NHL when Covid shut shit down.  They wanted to finish off the season, figured out a way that ending the regular season as it stood would still work, and then came up with a playoff format that was agreeable before they even considered restarting.  And then the following season, same thing - they figured out a way to get it done reasonably fairly.  Maybe it wasn't an ideal scenario, but it was better than nothing - and everyone knew what to expect down the road (barring Covid outbreaks that threw multiple wrenches into the mix at various points...but even those were dealt with reasonably).  The fact is, despite the clusterfuck, they STILL came up with a way to make it work at the outset, so nobody was like "well, what do we need to do to get in?"

Events Team · Posted

We leave the tournament details open because we have no way to know just how busy we will be when time to run it comes. I am awfully busy with work, Guil is awfully busy with work and young children.
And we also take into account how many weeks it should last given that it often falls to close to holidays

So tournament time comes, we decide on the fly what we can make do with the schedule and time we have.

It makes zero sense to say "Oh, tournament will be top 16" and then we won't have the time and resources to run a top 16 tournament at the end of the year.
And the tournament is a separated thing. We also crown the players that finished 1st to 3rd in the geral scoreboard through the year.

Also, the points help tally the Genre champions for the year, so winning at one week can make a whole difference on your standing for that particular genre.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BeaIank said:

We leave the tournament details open because we have no way to know just how busy we will be when time to run it comes. I am awfully busy with work, Guil is awfully busy with work and young children.
And we also take into account how many weeks it should last given that it often falls to close to holidays

So tournament time comes, we decide on the fly what we can make do with the schedule and time we have.

It makes zero sense to say "Oh, tournament will be top 16" and then we won't have the time and resources to run a top 16 tournament at the end of the year.
And the tournament is a separated thing. We also crown the players that finished 1st to 3rd in the geral scoreboard through the year.

Also, the points help tally the Genre champions for the year, so winning at one week can make a whole difference on your standing for that particular genre.

Does it take more "time and resources" to have 16 players in the tournament as opposed to 10 or 8?  I mean, yeah, it's a few extra minutes tallying scores, but I think anything over 10 participants is too many anyway, as it waters down the talent pool considerably, so that would be less work, I guess, to have only the top performers involved.

You guys do an awesome job running and administering these contests, so I don't mean to disparage you in any way, all I'm saying is that it would be nice to have a simple plan of action at the outset, with the understanding that it's subject to change if necessary.  Something like, "The plan is for the top eight seeds at the end of the season to advance to a final tournament, but we will post further information if this has to change," would more than suffice.

Anyway, keep up the great work 🙂

Edited by Dr. Morbis