IGNORED

**VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contest Leaderboard & Rules 2021**

guillavoie

7 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@NESfiend @mbd39 @Dr. Morbis

the nascar system  yeeeehaw! where a win gets you into the post season (15 players with one win then get ranked by points) and if you dont have a win you battle for any spots that may be left with points.

any additional regular season wins by any one player will add 1 point to your post season. (5 wins means you have 4 points at the start of the tournament).

the way we have always played before is like morphius said. just get in and your equal again and i sure have learned i dont have to grind the whole season, just do enough to get in. i think i was the last or next to last to get in last year and made podium.

The problem with that is you could have a guy win a week in March and then disappear off the forum for 8 months, and then he's nowhere to be found when the tourney starts.  Plus everyone has that one game that they are an unbeatable King on; getting to coast into the tourney off of that is BS.  Having it be strictly a points cutoff means you have to put in the time and contribute throughout the season, the way it should be...

9 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The problem with that is you could have a guy win a week in March and then disappear off the forum for 8 months, and then he's nowhere to be found when the tourney starts.  Plus everyone has that one game that they are an unbeatable King on; getting to coast into the tourney off of that is BS.  Having it be strictly a points cutoff means you have to put in the time and contribute throughout the season, the way it should be...

of course there are ringers thats part of the difficulty of winning. while i dont agree that winning once and coasting in is bs (because how many different players get a win each year? 10-12 out of 30 weeks? its not easy to win and should be awarded)... but, minimum 50 reg season points to get in fixes your issue with that.

and anytime you make a tourney you have to accept invite. if your ghost you get replaced.

Edited by docile tapeworm

10 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah. Tier systems have been used in prior tournaments. You can look at past tournaments here: http://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview0d82.html?catid=31&threadid=168510

2016 had tiers for the tournament and that was my first contest year. I did alright.

I liked the tier system. The only real flaw is that you could have casual players that are really good end up in a lower tier because they didn't participate as much. You could use a statistic to determine a player's average finish in relation to contests participated in for the seeding, but that would be a lot of extra work.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I liked the tier system. The only real flaw is that you could have casual players that are really good end up in a lower tier because they didn't participate as much. 

ya i never cared for the tiers. you get good players in the same group as casuals. and imo if im in the post season i want a shot at beating the top players anyway. im not trying to come in and win the nit tourney. put me in the big dance or leave me out.

I'd like to see some kind of average based scoring system for the tournament itself. That way the champion would be the player with the best overall performance instead of whoever just happened to be the best at the game chosen for the final round. I forget what year it was, but it seems like there was a tournament where the same player won the first and second rounds but then finished fourth in the finals and ended up with nothing because of bad luck on the draw for the final game.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

ya i never cared for the tiers. you get good players in the same group as casuals. and imo if im in the post season i want a shot at beating the top players anyway. im not trying to come in and win the nit tourney. put me in the big dance or leave me out.

I think the tier system did a good job of letting players of similar skill compete against each other, but I'm still good with the March Madness format where everyone gets a shot at the championship. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'd like to see some kind of average based scoring system for the tournament itself. That way the champion would be the player with the best overall performance instead of whoever just happened to be the best at the game chosen for the final round. I forget what year it was, but it seems like there was a tournament where the same player won the first and second rounds but then finished fourth in the finals and ended up with nothing because of bad luck on the draw for the final game.

did we do something like that last year? oh no it was some hoakie bonus points game...😁

edit: but we did rank by average of the three games.

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

did we do something like that last year? oh no it was some hoakie bonus points game...😁

I think it was some Famicom game. I don't mind Famicom games during the season since it's fun to try new games, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of them being in the tournament.

5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think it was some Famicom game. I don't mind Famicom games during the season since it's fun to try new games, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of them being in the tournament.

nah i was referring to the extra game i  ballon fight 🙂 its called ballon trip or something? but anyway we did finish last years tourny being ranked by average score of the three games wich i really loled

Just now, docile tapeworm said:

nah i was referring to the extra game i  ballon fight 🙂 its called ballon trip or something? but anyway we did finish last years tourny being ranked by average score of the three games wich i really loled

I was thinking you meant Circus Charlie since I thought that was for bonus points or something too.

The only reason we have "play-offs" at the end of the season for sports in North America is because it's way more exciting.  The problem is, any one team/person can put on an incredible run for a short amount of time or a couple of games, but the true metric for who was the best team or player that year, is the one at the top of the leader board at the end of the regular season.  The only issue is, once you've mathematically clinched the top spot, the final games are very anti-climactic and underwhelming.  So we have play-offs to "fix" that. In Britain, they have no tourney or post-season in the Premiere league; whoever has the best record at the end of the regular season is "Champion" for that year.  This is the way it should be in terms of measuring who is the best team, but like I said, it's usually really anti-climactic in those last few weeks.

Think about it: were the New York Giants really a better team than the Patriots in 2007?  I mean, come on, they had a couple of great performances right at the end and had some really lucky plays work out in the Super Bowl, but who was the better team that year?  Of course, seeing David Slay Goliath on national television was incredibly exciting for football fans everywhere, but who was the better team all year by a wide, wide margin?

So, the TLDR version is: VGS can set up whatever sort of post season tournament they want, and I'll definitely give it my all, but I'll already know who the best player is for 2021 after those final points are tallied up following Game # 32.... 😉

Edited by Dr. Morbis

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The only reason we have "play-offs" at the end of the season for sports in North America is because it's way more exciting.  The problem is, any one team/person can put on an incredible run for a short amount of time or a couple of games, but the true metric for who was the best team or player that year, is the one at the top of the leader board at the end of the regular season.  The only issue is, once you've mathematically clinched the top spot, the final games are very anti-climactic and underwhelming.  So we have play-offs to "fix" that. In Britain, they have no tourney or post-season in the Premiere league; whoever has the best record at the end of the regular season is "Champion" for that year.  This is the way it should be in terms of measuring who is the best team, but like I said, it's usually really anti-climactic in those last few weeks.

Think about it: were the New York Giants really a better team than the Patriots in 2007?  I mean, come on, they had a couple of great performances right at the end and had some really lucky plays work out in the Super Bowl, but who was the better team that year?  Of course, seeing David Slay Goliath on national television was incredibly exciting for football fans everywhere, but who was the better team all year by a wide, wide margin?

So, the TLDR version is: VGS can set up whatever sort of post season tournament they want, and I'll definitely give it my all, but I'll already know who the best player is for 2021 after those final points are tallied up following Game # 32.... 😉

I would agree that winning the regular season championship is a better representation of who the best overall player has been that season. The tournaments are a fun bonus though.

On 8/17/2021 at 7:39 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

its funny to me you think your the best with one win against two players with four wins and two players with two wins. thats hilarious. and do you always have an exuse for not winning or do you sometimes grab your nuts and say "i just got beat"? 

you think tom brady made exuses in 2007? 

can you imagine "well the super bowl doesnt really matter i know we are the real champions because we won the regular season"........

54D857C3-89B3-4029-A557-55C6856503F7.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

its funny to me you think your the best with one win against two players with four wins and two players with two wins. thats hilarious. and do you always have an exuse for not winning or do you sometimes grab your nuts and say "i just got beat"? 

you think tom brady made exuses in 2007? 

can you imagine "well the super bowl doesnt really matter i know we are the real champions because we won the regular season"........

54D857C3-89B3-4029-A557-55C6856503F7.gif

I don't think you get it: first place only gets one more point than second place; ONE MORE POINT.  Are you familiar with the concept of diminishing returns?  Getting a second-to-fifth place score takes me less than an hour most weeks, whereas working really hard on a game for hours and hours to beat the one or two guys who really jam out on a particular game would get me ONE MORE POINT!!!  Do you have a real life outside of video games?  Because maybe this idea is foreign to you, but I am not willing to spend hundreds of hours of my free time to gain a couple extra points over the course of a season that I'm confident that I'm going to win any way.

And concerning my "one win," I'd prefer it if you didn't even count it in your future tallies, because I don't.  Go back and check the Battle City thread and you'll see that I posted my last score on Wednesday, and was done with the game.  The fact that no one else happened to come out of the woodwork for four full days with a better score is just happenstance; I wasn't even trying to win and didn't care if I did.  So in future, you can count me as a zero win contender 😉

And if you are curious, the only week I have tried really hard till the end was the World Games week, because I was determined to not lose to the_wizard_666 because I declared that he could never beat me.  And guess what?  He didn't 😛  Even the first week with SMB3, once I put up my final score with like a few hours to go, I was done.  You kept on playing till the bitter end, desperate to win, and you did, so congrats on that!  I hope you feel all warm and goey inside snuggling up with that single extra point you earned over me in exchange for like four hours of your life.

Man, I thought this ugly-ass tapeworm was supposed to be docile......

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I don't think you get it: first place only gets one more point than second place; ONE MORE POINT.  Are you familiar with the concept of diminishing returns?  Getting a second-to-fifth place score takes me less than an hour most weeks, whereas working really hard on a game for hours and hours to beat the one or two guys who really jam out on a particular game would get me ONE MORE POINT!!!  Do you have a real life outside of video games?  Because maybe this idea is foreign to you, but I am not willing to spend hundreds of hours of my free time to gain a couple extra points over the course of a season that I'm confident that I'm going to win any way.

And concerning my "one win," I'd prefer it if you didn't even count it in your future tallies, because I don't.  Go back and check the Battle City thread and you'll see that I posted my last score on Wednesday, and was done with the game.  The fact that no one else happened to come out of the woodwork for four full days with a better score is just happenstance; I wasn't trying even trying to win and didn't care if I did.  So in future, you can count me as a zero win contender 😉

And if you are curious, the only week I have tried really hard till the end was the World Games week, because I was determined to not lose to the_wizard_666 because I declared that he could never beat me.  And guess what?  He didn't 😛  Even the first week with SMB3, once I put up my final score with like a few hours to go, I was done.  You kept on playing till the bitter end, desperate to win, and you did, so congrats on that!  I hope you feel all warm and goey inside snuggling up with that single extra point you earned over me in exchange for like four hours of your life.

Man, I thought this ugly-ass tapeworm was supposed to be docile......

its not about the extra point. its about wining. you dont win. come up with whatever reason you got to why you dont. we all know the point system is not perfect. until you come out and win consistant or take home a tourney trophy. your talking out your ass. im just trying to let you know you look real weak always saying "well i coulda won if i really wanted too"...ok.

i have no life everyone knows that

edit: but its not because of video games, its because i dont have time for it anymore. work and family. and God loves ugly.

it does make me feel good knowing you quit smb3 week because it was too hard.

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted

Geral and genre scoreboards updated.

As for the point system, we have been using this point distribution for a long time and I am okay with revising it for next year.
Once this season ends, we can discuss this.
As for Famicom games in the tournament... I am running this thing. There WILL be Famicom picks here and there in a way or another for the tournament and y'all can't stop me.
I grew up with a lot of them Famicom games in the multi carts there were prevalent in South America back then.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

its not about the extra point. its about wining. you dont win. come up with whatever reason you got to why you dont. we all know the point system is not perfect. until you come out and win consistant or take home a tourney trophy. your talking out your ass. im just trying to let you know you look real weak always saying "well i coulda won if i really wanted too"...ok.

i have no life. everyone knows that. and God loves ugly.

edit: it does make me feel good knowing you quit smb3 week because it was too hard.

Mr. Big talker, sitting at 38 points over half way through the season.  Looks like you're the one talking out of your ass.  You've got all this time to post in all these threads every week, puttin' up Rick Flair gifs and all that jazz but you can't spare an hour a week to put up a score?

I'd love to trash talk you about how much I'm gonna kick your ass in the tournament, but you don't even have the skills to get there!  Enjoy 20th place, or whatever rank you're able to attain this year in the standings 😛  If you want to respond to me, stop typing for two minutes and put some points on the board....

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Mr. Big talker, sitting at 38 points over half way through the season.  Looks like you're the one talking out of your ass.  You've got all this time to post in all these threads every week, puttin' up Rick Flair gifs and all that jazz but you can't spare an hour a week to put up a score?

I'd love to trash talk you about how much I'm gonna kick you're ass in the tournament, but you don't even have the skills to get there!  Enjoy 20th place, or whatever rank you're able to attain this year in the standings 😛  If you want to respond to me, stop typing for two minutes and put some points on the board....

respect!

i prob could get the 3 points each week but your right i like to come in and talk shit 😁

HOPEFULLY ill see you in the tourney.

• Like 2