IGNORED

**VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contest Leaderboard & Rules 2021**

guillavoie

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Geral and genre scoreboards updated.

@NESfiend takes 1st place, now 2 points ahead of @Dr. Morbis.
@bertsampson creeps closer thanks to his 1st place at Silk Worm.

Thanks for updating so early this week. Pretty inevitable @Dr. Morbiswill retake the lead and never look back, so nice that I get a full week at the top! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Wow, the difference between 5th and 8th is a scant two points!  And there's a three way tie for 6th as well.  Major drop off after 8th place though, but it will be interesting to see how things shake out coming down the stretch...

wins should count for more nesfiendband 0xcode both have four wins.

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

wins should count for more nesfiendband 0xcode both have four wins.

Yeah, it looks like the small point spread is intended to encourage more participation, so people won't see that they are super far behind and say, "fuck it."  But the problem is, if you don't play every week, you're going to fall way behind no matter what the ranks are worth.  The best way to encourage casuals is to include popular games that more people want to play, but then you're limiting the pool of available games, and playing the same few games all the time would get boring, so it's a catch 22.

I will say this though, the amount of wins I have reflects the points given per rankings; if you got like five extra points for being #1 on a game (like you should), I would be putting in way more effort into most games to try and get those extra points, but you don't, so I've been second and third place like ten times this year, which is fine since it's only one less point.  If I were running the show, 2nd through 8th would be the same amount of points, but first place each week would get 15 points instead of 11 for being better than everybody else.  Now that would stimulate competition!  (...and it would give people a Hail Mary pass to try and make up ground quickly by trying to win multiple weeks in a row).

But what do I know......

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, it looks like the small point spread is intended to encourage more participation, so people won't see that they are super far behind and say, "fuck it."  But the problem is, if you don't play every week, you're going to fall way behind no matter what the ranks are worth.  The best way to encourage casuals is to include popular games that more people want to play, but then you're limiting the pool of available games, and playing the same few games all the time would get boring, so it's a catch 22.

I will say this though, the amount of wins I have reflects the points given per rankings; if you got like five extra points for being #1 on a game (like you should), I would be putting in way more effort into most games to try and get those extra points, but you don't, so I've been second and third place like ten times this year, which is fine since it's only one less point.  If I were running the show, 2nd through 8th would be the same amount of points, but first place each week would get 15 points instead of 11 for being better than everybody else.  Now that would stimulate competition!  (...and it would give people a Hail Mary pass to try and make up ground quickly by trying to win multiple weeks in a row).

But what do I know......

I like the extra four points for winning idea! We should totally do that next season.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

And the contests used to be one point for participation with three points for 9th place. Going back to that would also encourage more competition.

I think there should be some sort of seeding for the tourney to keep people coming week to week. Doesnt have to be seeding necessarily, but something to reward people at the top

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I think there should be some sort of seeding for the tourney to keep people coming week to week. Doesnt have to be seeding necessarily, but something to reward people at the top

In 2017 and 2018 the top seeds in the tournament picked the  games out of a small group of games. I was a top seed in 2017 and picked Rad Racer and lost. I really wanted Tetris but a game couldn't be picked more than twice and two higher seeds had already picked it.

17 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

In 2017 and 2018 the top seeds in the tournament picked the  games out of a small group of games. I was a top seed in 2017 and picked Rad Racer and lost. I really wanted Tetris but a game couldn't be picked more than twice and two higher seeds had already picked it.

That's how I assumed it was going to work: reward the guys at the top who outperformed the guys in 7th and 8th all season.  If it's just some sort of extra elimination week(s), but with only X number of players invited, what does it matter if you came in 1st or 8th after a full season of competition?  As long as you're 8th (or whatever the cutoff is), you're basically the same as first.  That would obviously inhibit competition because you could just phone it in for eight months and then turn it up in the tourney...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That's how I assumed it was going to work: reward the guys at the top who outperformed the guys in 7th and 8th all season.  If it's just some sort of extra elimination week(s), but with only X number of players invited, what does it matter if you came in 1st or 8th after a full season of competition?  As long as you're 8th (or whatever the cutoff is), you're basically the same as first.  That would obviously inhibit competition because you could just phone it in for eight months and then turn it up in the tourney...

Yeah. Tier systems have been used in prior tournaments. You can look at past tournaments here: http://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview0d82.html?catid=31&threadid=168510

2016 had tiers for the tournament and that was my first contest year. I did alright.

• Thanks 1

@NESfiend @mbd39 @Dr. Morbis

the nascar system  yeeeehaw! where a win gets you into the post season (15 players with one win then get ranked by points) and if you dont have a win you battle for any spots that may be left with points.

any additional regular season wins by any one player will add 1 point to your post season. (5 wins means you have 4 points at the start of the tournament).

the way we have always played before is like morphius said. just get in and your equal again and i sure have learned i dont have to grind the whole season, just do enough to get in. i think i was the last or next to last to get in last year and made podium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah. Tier systems have been used in prior tournaments. You can look at past tournaments here: http://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview0d82.html?catid=31&threadid=168510

Cool that it's all archived there.  I couldn't help but notice that the guy who won Adventure Island in the 2009 tournament (that being the one and only game he ever competed in prior to this year) looks like one hell of a bad-ass 😛  I'd watch out for that guy... 😉

• Haha 1