IGNORED

**VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contest Leaderboard & Rules 2021**

guillavoie

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, FireHazard51 said:

Whats that?  You are losing to me???

giphy.gif

I mean, we are both gonna lose anyway 😆  Just hope i beat u overall eventually, if not i will congratulate you, but remember, im not even really playing most of these 😉  Im busy boy.  Not that I would do much better, but ya, maybe????

Social Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I mean, we are both gonna lose anyway 😆  Just hope i beat u overall eventually, if not i will congratulate you, but remember, im not even really playing most of these 😉  Im busy boy.  Not that I would do much better, but ya, maybe????

ZYlz.gif

You gotta play and make me stressed about eat all my smack talking gifs if I lose to you.

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, FireHazard51 said:

ZYlz.gif

You gotta play and make me stressed about eat all my smack talking gifs if I lose to you.

Im trying my best, but i literally have a few hours a week to play nes weekly 😞  I haven't even touched the 64 for a long time.......

Social Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Im trying my best, but i literally have a few hours a week to play nes weekly 😞  I haven't even touched the 64 for a long time.......

What's more important.  Playing N64 or rubbing it in when you beat me in the NES weekly challenges?  Well you haven't touched your 64 in a long time.....

I'm not a college student with lots of free time either.  I get an hour or two of game play in too.  If it's a game I enjoy I'll usually find a little more time.  Otherwise why play these games when I get my teeth kicked in when I look at the high scores these guys put up.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
4 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

What's more important.  Playing N64 or rubbing it in when you beat me in the NES weekly challenges?  Well you haven't touched your 64 in a long time.....

I'm not a college student with lots of free time either.  I get an hour or two of game play in too.  If it's a game I enjoy I'll usually find a little more time.  Otherwise why play these games when I get my teeth kicked in when I look at the high scores these guys put up.

Oh, game on for sure!!!!  I am all for our little thing we got going on, just know that i will try!!!!

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

With the second place at Alpha Mission, @Dr. Morbis breaks the tie and takes the 1st place of the geral scoreboard, with 5 points over @NESfiend.
The always consistent robot @bertsampson is in 3rd place, 13 points behind @Dr. Morbis and 8 points behind @NESfiend

We are closing in to finish the 1st season of the 2021 VGS NES Weekly Contest.

On 5/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, docile tapeworm said:

oh rad racer 2 🙂 

I thought you were anti-racer? I figured youd spend that week trying to loop gradius 8 or 9 times on one life or something asinine like that. 

Rad racer 2 is a weak spot for me as far as racers go. Last couple levels give me a lot of trouble. @Gaia Gensouki is an expert in that one and will be the guy to beat if he gets involved. I beat it back in the day when I didnt know the turbo start option existed. Didnt seem to help me me when I started messing around with it, but I didnt put a ton of time in. I know I asked once, Gaia, but dont remember the answer. Do you use that booster start? If so, sparingly in emergency late crashes or start of every race?

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2021 at 12:17 PM, docile tapeworm said:

oh rad racer 2 🙂 

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

I thought you were anti-racer? I figured youd spend that week trying to loop gradius 8 or 9 times on one life or something asinine like that. 

Rad racer 2 is a weak spot for me as far as racers go. Last couple levels give me a lot of trouble. @Gaia Gensouki is an expert in that one and will be the guy to beat if he gets involved. I beat it back in the day when I didnt know the turbo start option existed. Didnt seem to help me me when I started messing around with it, but I didnt put a ton of time in. I know I asked once, Gaia, but dont remember the answer. Do you use that booster start? If so, sparingly in emergency late crashes or start of every race?

i will practice gradius lol but i really love rad racer. i dont know about the second game but the original is nostalgic for me and i like the game alot. so ill try rr2

Calling me an expert in Rad Racer 2 is a bit of an overstatement. I just like the two games. And without the continue option I wouldn't have beaten either of those, unfortunately. The last levels demand near perfection and every little error can cause you to lose the race.

I tend to use the booster start at the beginning of pretty much every track and it can help after a crash. But of course you have to watch out whenever the road has many curves or when you crashed in a curve. Then it's obviously too dangerous to use the turbo start.

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Calling me an expert in Rad Racer 2 is a bit of an overstatement. I just like the two games. And without the continue option I wouldn't have beaten either of those, unfortunately. The last levels demand near perfection and every little error can cause you to lose the race.

I tend to use the booster start at the beginning of pretty much every track and it can help after a crash. But of course you have to watch out whenever the road has many curves or when you crashed in a curve. Then it's obviously too dangerous to use the turbo start.

I totally forgot about the continues! I never knew that was an option until you posted that in the completions thread this year. And I still haven't tried using a continue. That will make practicing a lot less tedious. I have always played that game as a 1 lifer because I didn't realize that wasn't the only option. 

@docile tapeworm, rr2 has a really similar feel to rr1, but is just a little more polished. The boost option is kind of stupid, but something different I guess. Its similar enough to the original though you should stilll get a nostalgia kick even if you are only familiar with rr1. I equate it to RC pro am 2 vs RC pro am 1. They didn't change enough to lose the nostalgia factor, but they did make some improvements that make the sequels the better game. RR2 is part of my CIB display including my favorite games. I prefer it to 1, but I am sure I am in the minority there. Also, the box art is badass

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@BeaIank I tried to hunt for it (honest!) but I can't find the latest Battletoads rule set.  I found the original post in Quarth but I don't think it referenced the warping rule change you mentioned.

I think I'm done with RRII and I need to start practicing for next week. 😉

Also, thanks for running these comps.  I know I'm late to the party but it's been great these past few weeks!

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, RH said:

@BeaIank I tried to hunt for it (honest!) but I can't find the latest Battletoads rule set.  I found the original post in Quarth but I don't think it referenced the warping rule change you mentioned.

I think I'm done with RRII and I need to start practicing for next week. 😉

Also, thanks for running these comps.  I know I'm late to the party but it's been great these past few weeks!

The barely challenging rules for Battletoads will be as follow:

• Start at Ragnarok's Canyon
  • Play till you reach 400,000 points or you lose a square of your energy bar
  • You can get hit as long as that hit doesn't consume one or more squares of your energy bar. This includes any situations that causes you to immediately lose a life
  • If you are hit in a way that causes you to lose one or more squares of your energy bar, your run ends. Pause the game and take your picture.
  • If the space invaders aliens take your energy away and you don't recover it, your run ends right there. Pause and take your picture.
  • If anything causes you to lose a life, your run ends. Pause the game and take your picture
  • Pause the game as soon as you break 400,000 points 
  • After being reaching 400,000 points add the stage bonus to your current score:
    •     Level 1-Ragnarok's Canyon - 0 points
    •     Level 2-Wookie Hole(Impact Crater) - 15,000 points
    •     Level 3-Turbo Tunnel - 30,000 points
    •     Level 4-Arctic Caverns - 45,000 points
    •     Level 5-Surf City - 60,000 points
    •     Level 6-Karanth's Lair - 75,000 points
    •     Level 7-Volkmire's Inferno - 90,000 points
    •     Level 8-Intruder Excluder - 105,000 points
    •     Level 9-Terra Tubes - 120,000 points
    •     Level 10-Rat Race - 135,000 points
    •     Level 11-Clinger Wingers - 150,000 points
    •     Level 12-the Revolution - 165,000 points
    •     Level 13-Dark Queen - 180,000 points
  • Your final score is current score + stage bonus score
  • Highest score wins.
  • The use of stage warps is not only allowed, but encouraged.
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

The barely challenging rules for Battletoads will be as follow:

• You can get hit as long as that hit doesn't consume one or more squares of your energy bar. This includes any situations that causes you to immediately lose a life
  • If anything causes you to lose a life, your run ends. Pause the game and take your picture

Sorry @BeaIank to keep asking questions, but I think this is the only one I have.  I've never played this game before this so there could be something obvious but I'm missing it.  These two rules seem contradictory.  If you lose a life, pause the game and your run ends.  However, in that first rule, it sounds like there's an exception where if you are hit, lose a life but no health, you can keep going.  That doesn't make sense.

Maybe it does in context of a certain level, but how can you lose a life and it not break that last rule above?  Feel free to be coy if this is something for the player to figure out.

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, RH said:

Sorry @BeaIank to keep asking questions, but I think this is the only one I have.  I've never played this game before this so there could be something obvious but I'm missing it.  These two rules seem contradictory.  If you lose a life, pause the game and your run ends.  However, in that first rule, it sounds like there's an exception where if you are hit, lose a life but no health, you can keep going.  That doesn't make sense.

Maybe it does in context of a certain level, but how can you lose a life and it not break that last rule above?  Feel free to be coy if this is something for the player to figure out.

You can get hit as long as you don't lose a square of your energy bar. That is different than dying.
The death rule covers the fact that there are things that will kill you right away, so losing a life ends your run as well.
Game is too easy as it is, so I had to figure out a way to make it slightly harder for the contest.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Oh yeah that crazy Battletoads contest is coming soon.

Has anyone made any attempts under these rules? Is it as punishing as it sounds? I wanted to try some runs this week and it actually sounds fun. Time has just been really hard to come by