IGNORED

**VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contest Leaderboard & Rules 2021**

guillavoie

17 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've never played POW, I might try it out sometime this week. I've done okay at Klax in the past. It's one of the few puzzle games that I actually like.

Expect Deafcode to break KLAX very easily. You get millions of points from big combos. We'll be competing for second place.

POW is a lot of fun and not too difficult for anyone decent at NES beat em ups. You should do fine.

Events Team · Posted

So here's the tournament details you have been waiting for:

The top 16 will be qualified and invited to the tournament.
The tournament will have three rounds, with the first two rounds being single elimination.
The players will be seeded accordingly to their final standing at the leaderboard and will be paired in the following way:

• Bracket 1: 1st place vs 16th place
  • Bracket 2: 2nd place vs 15th place
  • Bracket 3: 3rd place vs 14th place
  • Bracket 4: 4th place vs 13th place
  • Bracket 5: 5th place vs 12th place
  • Bracket 6: 6th place vs 11th place
  • Bracket 7: 7th place vs 10th place
  • Bracket 8: 8th place vs 9th place

The top seeded player will pick the game the pair will play out of a set of four games we will supply. Each game will only be allowed to be picked twice. Expect obscure Famicom games.

The second round will be like this:

• Winner of bracket 1 vs winner of bracket 8
  • Winner of bracket 2 vs winner of bracket 7
  • Winner of bracket 3 vs winner of bracket 6
  • Winner of bracket 4 vs winner of bracket 5

The top seeded player will pick the game the pair will play out of a set of two games we will supply. Each game will only be allowed to be picked twice.

The winners advance to the grand final where the winner will be decided.
The players will have to play 2 games that we will pick. And it will be MEAN games!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 10:55 AM, mbd39 said:

Expect Deafcode to break KLAX very easily. You get millions of points from big combos. We'll be competing for second place.

POW is a lot of fun and not too difficult for anyone decent at NES beat em ups. You should do fine.

I played some POW earlier. It's a little rough, but seems like a decent game overall. I finished 2nd in the 2015 Klax contest, but @Red doubled my score and won handily.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

So here's the tournament details you have been waiting for:

The top 16 will be qualified and invited to the tournament.
The tournament will have three rounds, with the first two rounds being single elimination.
The players will be seeded accordingly to their final standing at the leaderboard and will be paired in the following way:

• Bracket 1: 1st place vs 16th place
  • Bracket 2: 2nd place vs 15th place
  • Bracket 3: 3rd place vs 14th place
  • Bracket 4: 4th place vs 13th place
  • Bracket 5: 5th place vs 12th place
  • Bracket 6: 6th place vs 11th place
  • Bracket 7: 7th place vs 10th place
  • Bracket 8: 8th place vs 9th place

The top seeded player will pick the game the pair will play out of a set of four games we will supply. Each game will only be allowed to be picked twice. Expect obscure Famicom games.

The second round will be like this:

• Winner of bracket 1 vs winner of bracket 8
  • Winner of bracket 2 vs winner of bracket 7
  • Winner of bracket 3 vs winner of bracket 6
  • Winner of bracket 4 vs winner of bracket 5

The top seeded player will pick the game the pair will play out of a set of two games we will supply. Each game will only be allowed to be picked twice.

The winners advance to the grand final where the winner will be decided.
The players will have to play 2 games that we will pick. And it will be MEAN games!

It's everything I've always wanted!  Well, maybe a few too many participants, but hey, the more the merrier, I guess.  I just hope whoever comes in 16th is still around and participating, because that's about the only real concern when the chariot swings that low...

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It's everything I've always wanted!  Well, maybe a few too many participants, but hey, the more the merrier, I guess.  I just hope whoever comes in 16th is still around and participating, because that's about the only real concern when the chariot swings that low...

I believe it's mentioned somewhere that qualifying gamers are contacted, so if they don't confirm, I presume they go to 17, 18, etc, until they can fill out the 16 player bracket.

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

I was wondering that too. If players drop out do their opponents get a bye or does the format get redone for the top 10, 12, etc?

6 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Hopefully the standings hold up since I would play @mbd39 in the first round. It has to be pretty likely that either of us would pick a beat em up game.

Speak for yourself.  I'd be up against @0xDEAFC0DE, who would be almost guaranteed to pick a puzzle game.  But then, if I can get a few participation points, I'll climb a bit into a more favourable position 😛

Just now, the_wizard_666 said:

Speak for yourself.  I'd be up against @0xDEAFC0DE, who would be almost guaranteed to pick a puzzle game.  But then, if I can get a few participation points, I'll climb a bit into a more favourable position 😛

He's definitely someone I don't want matched up against for that very reason.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

He's definitely someone I don't want matched up against for that very reason.

Yeah.  Maybe we can convince @BeaIank to leave puzzle and sports games out of the pool?  Naw, that'd be unfair too. 

1 minute ago, BeaIank said:

You will have to pick a game out of the list I will supply. You all drank some serious shit if you're thinking games like Double Dragon, Turtles, Super Mario and the likes will be there in the list.

Right?  Those are definitely games you want to have in the main competition, not the tourney.  The tourney needs to be TOUGH games.

Also, I pity the fool who willingly plays The Punisher against me 😛