IGNORED

Sequel Showdown #9 - Super Mario (3D)

AstralSoul

Sequel Showdown #9 - Super Mario (3D)  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What's your FAVORITE 3D Super Mario title?

• Super Mario 64 (N64)
    • Super Mario Sunshine (GCN)
    • Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
    • Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
    • Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
    • Super Mario 3D World (Wii U/Switch)
    • Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    • Haven't played enough to judge
  2. 2. What's your SECOND favorite 3D Super Mario title?

• Super Mario 64 (N64)
  3. 3. What's your LEAST favorite 3D Mario?

• Super Mario 64 (N64)

Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Sumez said:

I can't imagine what would possibly make anyone think this, but I'm genuinely interested in hearing it out.

Personal preference? Mario Galaxy is the same as 3D Land/World which are successful attempts at taking the original Mario formula (getting to the flag, point A to point B) and making it 3D. They did a good job; those games are great. 3D Land could have used some work though, lol.

I prefer the openness of discovering that hey, I went exploring and found that there's a star/shine/moon over here, I didn't have to get the one I was "supposed" to get. I just like that kind of game more. Galaxy is fun to explore, sure, but it's still on rails. Galaxy is like watching a really good movie. 64/Sunshine/Odyssey are where you actually explore and discover worlds.

(And yes, I know there are levels in 64/Sunshine where you can only get the one shine/star. And yes, I know there are levels in Galaxy 1/2 that aren't strictly linear.)

Sunshine isn't like Mario 64. Barring the 100-coin shines and possibly hidden shines in levels that don't have two "secret" levels within, the overwhelming majority of in-level shines in Mario Sunshine are locked behind a specific mission you select when you enter the level. I think the few where this isn't the case seem to be bugs or oversights?

And once you have enough shines to unlock the Rocket Nozzle in Delfino Plaza (30), I think any shines you get that aren't among the specific 50 required to unlock Corona Mountain (first shine, first seven shines in each level) do absolutely nothing for your progression.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Splain said:

Galaxy is like watching a really good movie. 64/Sunshine/Odyssey are where you actually explore and discover worlds.

That's a really interesting conclusion, considering pretty much the opposite is the case for me. Galaxy is the one that demands constant participation from the player, where Odyssey feels like it's more interested in making you lean back and see what it has to offer.

Odyssey especially is spectacular in the way it creates worlds and atmosphere for you to take in. You know, like a movie. But like Tanooki already said, so much of the game is just like going somewhere to get a free reward, rather than playing a game. It has lot of single moments of great gameplay, but they are very segmented and spread out across a hugely padded area.

I can't imagine the formula done better than Odyssey does it (it certainly does it a lot better than Sunshine), but at the same time it also heavily showcases the limitations of that approach. I can't imagine immediately jumping in to experience all of Odyssey after getting every single moon in the game, the way I did with Galaxy. The game was just too much fun to stop playing. It's pure well designed 3D Mario gameplay from start to finish, and outside of the small hub area you never really feel like you're wasting your time.

Oh, and it doesn't make sense to me to lump 64 in with Sunshine and Odyssey. It goes in the Galaxy gang. 😛 A lot of people felt that Sunshine was a disappointing followup to 64, and Galaxy felt to me like Nintendo wanting to remedy that by going in the opposite direction.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1