IGNORED

Console Debate #16 Nintendo 64

fox

How do you rate N64?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate N64?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

4 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Fair enough haha.

I guess I'm just looking at it more subjectively - there are consoles that I could see as "Greatest Of All Time" contenders even if they aren't my personal favorite. (Since I've got unconventional tastes, but I can still recognize a system's merits even if they don't conform to my own preferences).

But at the same time, I could probably be convinced that "GOAT" is specifically reserved for judgements of personal preference. More subjectivity again haha.

-CasualCart

Star Wars Reaction GIF by Disney+

• Haha 1

7/10 for me.

Back in 1995 I was hesitating between a PSX and Saturn and I had a chance to try SM64 at some event and that alone made me decide on getting an Ultra 64. 

First console I bought with my own job money. I played hours on end, some personal favorites on the system are Wave Race 64, Shadows of the Empire, NBA Hang Time, Star Fox 64, Turok, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing and of course Ocarina of Time.

I have this love-hate thing with the 64 because I really wanted it to be the SNES’ successor, but that ended up being the PSX.

The first party games were great but Nintendo had taken a weird turn. They sort of became the Apple of video game manufacturers, just doing their own thing and bucking trends. It really worked out for them in the long run, but it felt a bit disappointing at the time.

I have very little nostalgia for it which is telling, considering how much time I spent playing it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2021 at 8:02 PM, rdrunner said:

8/10 - Another top heavy library, but it gets a pass when the best games rank among the best of all time!  The two Zelda games alone were system sellers for me.  That and pretty much every RareWare game.

I love more than just the "classics" as well.  For example, I'm part of the camp that considers Castlevania 64 a great game.  And there isn't another puzzle game in existence quite like Tetrisphere!

The Mario games were hit and miss for me, as I made the mistake of playing Mario 64 after first completing other games that improved upon the formula.  He made up for it with the three Mario Party games, which remain the best of the whole series.  I also think this system has the best version of Mario Tennis.  Now if only I can figure out what people see in Mario Kart 64. 

The only things holding me back from giving it a 9 are the problems I've had with replacing joysticks (lots of broken ones out there).

Oh, and did people mention carts without side labels? I have no idea what they mean...

20210219_130214.jpg

Yeah who came along and said, okay Project Reality is gonna have better games, better graphics...but those end labels gotta go...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...