IGNORED

Console Debate #16 Nintendo 64

fox

How do you rate N64?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate N64?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

15 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

I'm torn between a 6 or 7 out of 10 but I decided to be generous and give it the 7.

The disparity in both quality and quantity between "good" and "bad" titles in the N64 library is huge. There are a handful absolute, undeniable gems on the system...and then there is mountains upon mountains of utter crap. When the console is good, it is a total killer gaming machine. When the console is bad...it's kinda hard to even look at it.

All that said, I think everyone should play those handful of classics that the system brought. Some have aged better than others but even the janky ones are worthwhile for understanding what a huge leap it was into uncharted territory when gaming moved from 2D to 3D design.

I think this sums up my feelings too.

I had an absolute blast playing the console growing up, but I think once you get past the first party and Rare games the quality starts to drop.

I was torn between a 6 and 7 but ended up with a 7 because there are quite a few superior games on there plus I don’t think I’ll ever get sick of Mario 64.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, OptOut said:

I genuinely find RPGs boring, so yeah I've not actually played Aidyn or Quest 64. I did play Paper Mario 64 tho, and THAT game is genuinely awesome.

Paper Mario 64 is better than the Sony Playstation. Fact.

Aidyn and Quest 64 are not exactly the best representation the genre has to offer lol.

13 hours ago, rdrunner said:

8/10 - Another top heavy library, but it gets a pass when the best games rank among the best of all time!  The two Zelda games alone were system sellers for me.  That and pretty much every RareWare game.

I love more than just the "classics" as well.  For example, I'm part of the camp that considers Castlevania 64 a great game.  And there isn't another puzzle game in existence quite like Tetrisphere!

The Mario games were hit and miss for me, as I made the mistake of playing Mario 64 after first completing other games that improved upon the formula.  He made up for it with the three Mario Party games, which remain the best of the whole series.  I also think this system has the best version of Mario Tennis.  Now if only I can figure out what people see in Mario Kart 64. 

The only things holding me back from giving it a 9 are the problems I've had with replacing joysticks (lots of broken ones out there).

Oh, and did people mention carts without side labels? I have no idea what they mean...

20210219_130214.jpg

Haha, I’ve done the same thing with my cartridges! Homemade labels FTW!

• Like 1

The second worst system nintendo ever made. Only "topped" by the dumpster fire know as the wii.

Has there ever been a bigger drop in quality from one system to the next as witnessed from snes->n64?

How many of you giving this a high grade have even turned it on in the last six months let alone slogged through one of its awful games?

Edited by peg
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 3
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

remember being so excited to get one near launch. and still hoping for something good after being disapointed with mario64.

goldeneye and wcw soon fell to the way side as the Playstation destroyed all competition.

my n64 would only collect dust after i received a Playstation and MGS.

I agree PS1 > N64, but Mario 64 being disappointing confuses me.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

remember being so excited to get one near launch. and still hoping for something good after being disapointed with mario64.

goldeneye and wcw soon fell to the way side as the Playstation destroyed all competition.

I agree that MGS > Mario 64 and I think both are great.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I agree PS1 > N64, but Mario 64 being disappointing confuses me.

youll notice banjoe and dk64 are both left out as well.

i grew up with side scrolling smb. i remeber thinking, at the time, even smw i could take or leave....

Edited by docile tapeworm

23 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Agree. Playstation >>> N64

And NES is still best.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Eyeroll 1

16 hours ago, OptOut said:

Final fantasy VII sucks balls. Aidyn Chronicles is way better. 😒

s-l500.jpg.ae64dfbc4a55af4c247b9cf33f85d4c9.jpg

I can tell you have never played Aidyn. 😂That battle system sucks!

You spend over half the time, while in battle, running to the enemy. Just to have them flee the battle. Wasting 10 or more minutes for nothing.  

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, peg said:

The second worst system nintendo ever made. Only "topped" by the dumpster fire know as the wii.

Has there ever been a bigger drop in quality from one system to the next as witnessed from snes->n64?

How many of you giving this a high grade have even turned it on in the last six months let alone slogged through one of its awful games?

There he is!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, peg said:

I've not been gaming much in the past few months but even so, 80% of it was on my N64. My kids love it too.

• Like 3