IGNORED

Console Debate #16 Nintendo 64

fox

How do you rate N64?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate N64?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

I'm torn between a 6 or 7 out of 10 but I decided to be generous and give it the 7.

The disparity in both quality and quantity between "good" and "bad" titles in the N64 library is huge. There are a handful absolute, undeniable gems on the system...and then there is mountains upon mountains of utter crap. When the console is good, it is a total killer gaming machine. When the console is bad...it's kinda hard to even look at it.

All that said, I think everyone should play those handful of classics that the system brought. Some have aged better than others but even the janky ones are worthwhile for understanding what a huge leap it was into uncharted territory when gaming moved from 2D to 3D design.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

I'm torn between a 6 or 7 out of 10 but I decided to be generous and give it the 7.

I'm also torn between 6 and 7. It was a big leap forward in 3D gaming, especially Mario 64, and it has some good stuff, but it's also missing a lot of genres compared to other consoles. That era of 3D hasn't always aged well either. 6.5, maybe?

• Like 4

On my personal opinions, IMHO, the PS1 and the N64 are probably tied as my favorite consoles.  The PS1 had so many stellar RPGs and I assume was comparatively easy to develop for because it's library is massive, and the good to bad ratio is quite wide.

But the N64 was different for that generation.  Sure, it's library is definitely limited and many games are certainly "meh" or worse.  However, where it shines, it shines very well.  I can't think of a first party game that isn't excellent, if not an instant classic.  Companies like Rare did an excellent job of utilizing the system and they too made almost 100% classics.  The list of games from those two companies alone warrant an amazing line up.

But, I also love the N64 for it's attempted innovation and, as I've pointed out before, I think the controller was an amazing breakthrough.  The first home console with an exclusive analog stick and Nintendo made access to it optional for the devs by putting it on the middle stick.  I understand why, today, the thing looks weird and after decades of using standardized dual-shock styled controllers, it's tough to refamiliarize yourself with.  However, it was great for it's time and I love almost every game I bought.

I really can't divide the two systems for me.  The PS1/N64 era for me was when I was just old enough to have a job in High School and with that extra cash, I spent it almost entirely on video games and CCG cards.  The PS1 on and the N64 eco-system were very different, but both had their merits.  I love them both, equally, so I'm going do definitely say the N64 is the GOAT... but it has to be tied with the PS1.

However, the only thing that might knock the PS1 from the thrown is the PS2.  There were a lot of good PS2 titles, but it didn't have the same wide appeal to me as the PS1.  However, it does offer backwards compatibility, so you could chuck the PS1 unit (lol, no) and just have a PS2 with all of the benefits.  But, I don't think I want to go there.  If I did that, I'd never get to hear the boot up sounds of the PS1 and that was also a really nice touch.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Choosing cartridges was a weird decision by Nintendo. That helped limit the console compared to Playstation.

Choosing cartridges was an awesome decision by Nintendo. I'm going to be playing my original copy of Goldeneye LONG after the very last PS1 disc has rotted to oblivion! 😉

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Choosing cartridges was an awesome decision by Nintendo. I'm going to be playing my original copy of Goldeneye LONG after the very last PS1 disc has rotted to oblivion! 😉

At the time it was a bad decision. They lost Square to Sony for one thing. In retrospect decades later carts are more durable.

• Like 1

I grew up with the NES and SNES, so I was definitely a Nintendo kid, but we went with the PS1 during that generation.  It should come as no surprise to anyone that I love the PS1 since it's my favorite console, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the N64.  I had several friends in high school who had an N64 and I played enough games to know the system was excellent.  With that said, I never regretted getting the PS1 and I still rank the PS1 higher to this day. 

Most of my memories of the N64 came from my college years, when the PS2 and GC were already out.  That's when I finally bought a used N64.  During my college years, I probably played more N64 than PS1 simply because it was still new for me.  Goldeneye and Mario Kart were always my favorites.  I never got into any of the 3D platformers on the N64, and because of that, those games are difficult for me to enjoy today.  Overall, it's a great system, and Nintendo made the most out of the unusual decision to stick with cartridges.  If there is any benefit to the systems super small library, it's the fact that there is much less shovelware compared to other consoles with larger libraries.  You could argue that the N64 has one of the better good/bad game ratios.  But that's typical with small game libraries for Nintendo consoles (same can be said for Wii U).  

• Like 3

Editorials Team · Posted

I'll have to think carefully about this one.

On one hand, I adore Mario 64, Ocarina, and Star Fox 64.  Probably all top 25 games for me.

I also really enjoy/enjoyed Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Majora, Blast Corps, the Banjos, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Conker, Jet Force, FZero, Mystical Ninja, Resident Evil 2, Rogue Squadron, and Beetle Adventure Racing.

I'd also really like to check out Ogre Battle, Paper Mario, Mischief, Castlevania, and Hybrid.

But then my interest starts to drop off a cliff shortly after that.

And some of those games have NOT AGED WELL.  ITS AN IDIOM DONT @ ME.

Also, I can't stand dealing with the busted-ass-paddle controllers nowadays.

And fuck the controller packs that can handle a single save.

So, maybe a 6, 7, or 8.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

8/10

Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Killer Instinct Gold, Star Fox 64, GoldenEye, Diddy Kong Racing, Yoshi's Story, F-Zero X, Banjo-Kazooie, Mario Party 1-3, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong 64, Kirby 64, Perfect Dark, Majora's Mask, Mega Man 64 (admit it, it is good), Paper Mario, Conker's Bad Fur Day...I could go on. It is a great console, and I like that it uses cartridges. Also, it was literally the ultimate party console during that era.

My only complaint is that its library of games, while good, is a little small compared to most other Nintendo systems. It would've been nice to see a Metroid game, and it was a little disappointing that several potential releases had to be canceled (Earthbound 64, Dinosaur Planet, Eternal Darkness, Cubivore, etc.). I'm glad many of these still got a release on GameCube, but it would've been nice to play at least some of them on the N64 (especially Dinosaur Planet). Also some games, especially Rare's games, are chock full of glitches and framerate issues (I'm looking at you DK64), though they're still fun to play.

• Like 3

Its really a difficult console to judge due to the various ups and downs it has but I have to give it a 9 since it gave some groundbreaking games like Zelda: OoT, Mario 64, and Goldeneye and without them video games wouldn't gotten the ideas to progress into the 3D gaming.  Also even though it has a limited library with various games that aged poorly, it has some classic games especially multiplayer games that people still enjoy and play together. It should probably got a 8 or 7 with the cartridge, controller design, and imbalance of genres on the console but despite drawbacks it managed to carve out a legacy.

• Like 3

On the one hand, Nintendo needed a 3D console to compete. On the other, this was the beginning of Nintendo going from the dominant force in video games to the weird niche they hold to this day (whether that's a good thing or not is debatable.)

It's an important console, but going by the poll, I have to pick 6.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

checking blood and oil GIF

*him

21 minutes ago, OptOut said:

rage GIF

Ohhhhh... The James Bond machine?  Goldeneye was (is) pretty tight.  It def got a workout back in the day.

I had a very vivid dream after an all week bender in 97 where my friends and I were death matching around town.  I'd get shot or blown up and immediately wake up with a pistol and start all over.  It was intense. 

Other than that the 64 just doesn't hold up for me.  I traded away all my 64 gear last year for NES stuff.  Even Goldeneye.   

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The best games are really great, but there seems to be a big decline in quality after that. I'll go with a 7/10.

I never owned a n64, but I was really good at a wcw wrestling game. I used to be lex luger and give everybody the human torture rack. It was easily my favorite game on the system. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BriGuy82 said:

If I don't have any nostalgia for the system, would I be able to stand playing it today? 

I finally begrudgingly got into it myself a couple of years ago when I was literally gifted a console. I wouldn't say I had any nostalgia for it - the only games I played when it was current was Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, and Goldeneye. And the only one I really liked at the time was Mario Kart.

Having said that, I have actually gone from "I hate the N64, it's a terrible console," to "y'know what? It was actually pretty impressive, and the good games are really good." SO yeah.

I WOULD recommend getting a 3rd party controller, though. I bought one of those Hyperkin Admirals, which is wireless and has a form factor closer to your standard Pro controller, and that helps.

• Like 4

I don't play the system much anymore since it was a local multiplayer machine but think it is/was a great system. My favourites still hold up like GE, Wave Race, OoT and Mario 64. Even if they have 'aged' they're still solid to play in my opinion. Multiplayer games such as Mario Kart, Mario Party, and I guess GE too really shine with 4 players. A lot of other games I liked back in the day definitely play better in my mind than they do in reality (Shadow of the Empire, Winback, Mission Impossible) - usually due to poor controls/camera or extremely poor graphics/fog. Still alright for the time though.

Although the library is small, it is also dense in quality, especially for 1st party titles. 64 and Wii U would be close together in 3rd behind SNES then NES.

SNES>NES>64/Wii U> Switch> Wii/GC

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1