IGNORED

Thinning the Herd: Any Reason to Keep Doubles?

fcgamer

I decided to take inventory of my collection this year, as well as try to organise things better. When you get to having a massive collection, I think this becomes necessary at least once a year. I'm about 3/4 of the way through this process, I'd guess, and I plan to finish up this week whilst off for Chinese New Year. 

Anyways, I discovered that in some cases, I have two, three, or even more of some games. In some cases, the extra immediately goes on the sale/trade pile, but in other cases, it's been a much harder call for me to make.

Sometimes I feel the price is not where it should be, and will increase in the future. Other times, I just really like the game or the company. And then finally is the silliest reason of all, for some reason local collectors here prefer to accumulate and show off large stacks of the same rare game, than to have a diverse collection with only one of each title.

So I'm trying to rationalise with myself if there is actually any real reason to collect more than one of each title, or would I be better served to sell / trade of the duplicates? 

For cheaper games (let's say $20 or less), sure I'll just keep those , but when we are talking about $100 or more, maybe I should consider moving them?

Let's discuss.

IMG20210208005648.jpg

When I was deep into NES collecting I convinced myself that maybe I should keep multiples in case I open a retro game store one day. But as my collection ballooned and my need for space expanded, I began to resent my five extra copies of Silent Service. I eventually made the decision to sell and never looked back. I find the space is more valuable to me than the reassurance an extra copy provides. Variants are another story as I really enjoy collecting those, but standard doubles and triples have to go.

• Like 3

Depends on the game. If it’s something that will always be cheap, just sell them off. If it’s something expensive (and assuming you got it cheap), you might keep a double in case your current copy stops working for some reason. Or you could trade it for an expensive game you want.

Im not much for selling rares.

I've hoarded everything my whole life and generally my hoard has unlocked its utility over time whether I'm swapping correct-styled Genesis cases, replacing incorrect SNES cart backs, or just finding variants. Sometimes it can be nice to have higher end stuff for people who want to trade rather than sell? That's the main reason I can see keeping better doubles.

Moderator · Posted

I keep high end doubles to eventually trade for things that I need. Have a bunch of the N64 bigs piling up (SC, Super Bowling, Bomberman 2nd, and Worms among other) lately as I track down the last boxes I need for the set, and often have to buy a CIB or CB when I already have the cart

Editorials Team · Posted

Fuck no.

Space and budget are both finite.  You may have tons of both, but they're still finite.  And there is another worthy game out there that you don't have.  It doesn't matter if you don't think that's the case, because it is.

Unless you're waiting for it to appreciate or something.  That's different.

• Like 3

Dump it unless something is so obscenely rare, keep a spare.  Same goes with a truly expensive game at some three figure and up value, either in case your other copy melts down or because it's basically as the old Nintendo meme goes -- prints money.  It's great to make some cash when you need it or to trade for something that price sucks on so you don't actually pay for it.

Otherwise, let it go, people will appreciate it more than sitting with its family of twin, triplets, etc.

I have lots of doubles/triples/quadruples that I hope to trade away someday...they aren't always rare, and I would say most of the time it was a shipping thing like, You can buy one NIB copy for $12, but you can buy 5 for $30...I lean towards to the 5 for $30 and hope that one day I can trade away the others...Although I will say I very rarely have multiple copies of CIB games (unless they are rare like the other members here mentioned, and I plan on trading them in the future)...I figure NIB games, even if they are not popular/rare will find an audience someday.

Plus, having multiple copies of games makes for good conversation starters...I have 24 NIB copies of "Yugioh - The Sacred Cards" for GBA and I display them prominently in my game room...98% of the time someone comes into the game room for the first time they say, "Why do you have 24 copies of Yugioh - The Sacred Cards?" And I say, "That's funny, I was just about to ask you why you don't."

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I don't own any flashcarts and never will 😛  If I like a game that never had a stand-alone retail or homebrew release, I make a cart and order a label online...

I really wish I could do what you do.  I'd ditch the kits.  A case of less is more is never more true than using a real game, even if you had to make it yourself.  I really love the original Sim City, so I hope some day someone pops SimCIty NES on a cart, but also the homebrew conversion of the game that hit GBC only format called uCity too (more so than the NES title.)  I'd get lost in my GBC all day playing that, no doubt.

10 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I don't own any flashcarts and never will 😛  If I like a game that never had a stand-alone retail or homebrew release, I make a cart and order a label online...

Why?  I don't really see the point of being a curmudgeon about utilizing a tool that lets you still play the game on the real hardware...

I get it, but you have to understand the logic under it as there are a few good reasons.  Honestly I agree with him, if I had the tech I'd lose the kits.  I don't really need a cart with 1000s of games on it when in the end I have a healthy library to choose from now, and if I cared that much about a specific title I'd rather physically own it, even if it meant making it myself.  When you're really invested in it, and it's not just some vapor file you can dismiss at a whim, you'll be more engaged.  Also one could factor that less is more, easier to make time, choose something to stick to as well when your options are narrower.  That last one alone is why I like the 10 multicarts I've got on GB/GBC.  I'm stuck to a very short list, I pick something and go.  Those carts have like 8-50 options depending, most are in the 20s or less.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I really wish I could do what you do.  I'd ditch the kits.  A case of less is more is never more true than using a real game, even if you had to make it yourself.  I really love the original Sim City, so I hope some day someone pops SimCIty NES on a cart, but also the homebrew conversion of the game that hit GBC only format called uCity too (more so than the NES title.)  I'd get lost in my GBC all day playing that, no doubt.

If you're talking about the unreleased NES prototype of Simcity, it just needs a donor that's MMC5 with a battery, so basically any of the later era Koei games.  I could make one for you if you want one that badly, but I personally feel that the SNES version is far superior to the NES prototype and that's why I've never made a cart of it myself.  However, if you're talking about the original PC Simcity being ported to NES, I'm afraid the unreleased proto is about as close as we're ever going to get at this point...

10 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Why?  I don't really see the point of being a curmudgeon about utilizing a tool that lets you still play the game on the real hardware...

Because I already have all but 12 of the US NES games and I'm zoning in on two thirds of the Famicom libary, so the number of NES/Famicom games I can't already play on real hardware is dwindling by the week.  Why should I buy a tool I don't even need? It's not about being a curmudgeon; it's about scratching both the collecting itch and the gaming itch ALL AT THE SAME DAMN TIME!!!!!! 😛

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

If you're talking about the unreleased NES prototype of Simcity, it just needs a donor that's MMC5 with a battery, so basically any of the later era Koei games.  I could make one for you if you want one that badly, but I personally feel that the SNES version is far superior to the NES prototype and that's why I've never made a cart of it myself.  However, if you're talking about the original PC Simcity being ported to NES, I'm afraid the unreleased proto is about as close as we're ever going to get at this point...

I thought there was only the unreleased NES proto that ended up online a little over a year ago.  Was there another build using the PC version of Sim City?  I had considered wanting the NES one over on gamehistory.org/simcity where that whole story is there.  I know a few select features are bugged but it's basically a working done game.  Yes the SNES one is better, but some of the odd changes due to the NES limitations such as the 2x2 instead of 3x3 style of primary buildings changes things.  The GBC game uCity is like this too which has some added appeal.

I take it if a KOEI game was killed in the name of science, that's the only way to do it?  I don't recall if any of those modern solutions do the MMC5 do they?

35 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I thought there was only the unreleased NES proto that ended up online a little over a year ago.  Was there another build using the PC version of Sim City?  I had considered wanting the NES one over on gamehistory.org/simcity where that whole story is there.  I know a few select features are bugged but it's basically a working done game.  Yes the SNES one is better, but some of the odd changes due to the NES limitations such as the 2x2 instead of 3x3 style of primary buildings changes things.  The GBC game uCity is like this too which has some added appeal.

I take it if a KOEI game was killed in the name of science, that's the only way to do it?  I don't recall if any of those modern solutions do the MMC5 do they?

Yeah, there's only that one proto dump, I was just unclear as to whether that was the NES version you were looking for.

And yeah, a late-era Koei game would have to be cannibalized since you need an MMC5 game with a battery.  Or you could pay about the price of one of those Koei games and BIN this auction and then open it up and take a picture of the inside.  Maybe the Chinese hackers have already got this one down:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sim-City-for-play-on-the-NES-Nintendo-ENGLISH-NTSC/353269446325?hash=item52407ff6b5:g:Fq8AAOSwcbxfFJLO

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Because I already have all but 12 of the US NES games and I'm zoning in on two thirds of the Famicom libary, so the number of NES/Famicom games I can't already play on real hardware is dwindling by the week.  Why should I buy a tool I don't even need? It's not about being a curmudgeon; it's about scratching both the collecting itch and the gaming itch ALL AT THE SAME DAMN TIME!!!!!! 😛

That only explains ONE model.

11 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

That only explains ONE model.

Are you referring the the SNES flashcart?  If so, I have zero interest in the large majority of the SNES library.  Yeah, it has flashier graphics and more buttons (that 99% of the SNES library doesn't even need), but the gameplay is nowhere near as tight and the games nowhere near as interesting as the NES.  I've got the <100 games I like for SNES/Super Famicom, so I'm already set for life.  If I want a library of generic, derivative games that fit neatly into specific genres, I've got every game made in this millenium to choose from, thank you very much! 🙂

Edited by Dr. Morbis

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Are you referring the the SNES flashcart?  If so, I have zero interest in the large majority of the SNES library.  Yeah, it has flashier graphics and more buttons (that 99% of the SNES library doesn't even need), but the gameplay is nowhere near as tight and the games nowhere near as interesting as the NES.  I've got the >100 games I like for SNES/Super Famicom, so I'm already set for life.  If I want a library of generic, derivative games that fit neatly into specific genres, I've got every game made in this millenium to choose from, thank you very much! 🙂

That explains two......

3 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

That explains two......

Ha ha, how many of those friggin' things are there?  Allow me to simplify with this simple math equation:

NES > all other consoles combined times infinity

So, just replace the word "SNES" in my above post with whatever other console's flashcarts you're referring to..... 🙂

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Ha ha, how many of those friggin' things are there?  Allow me to simplify with this simple math equation:

NES > all other consoles combined times infinity

So, just replace the word "SNES" in my above post with whatever other console's flashcarts you're referring to..... 🙂

Fair enough.  It just sounded a little odd to say you would never buy "any" flashcart without the disclaimer that you buy anythingng outside of NES anyway.  

And to answer your other question, with only a few exceptions, pretty much every cart based console.