IGNORED

The card market has absolutely exploded!!!

Dumars2001

2 hours ago, MrClutch said:

Yeah, what a bunch of nerdy virgins! They should do something more manlier, like talk about video games on a video game collector forum.

Kinda goes without saying. 😉

If I offended any virgins or neckbeards I apologize. It's very cool to stalk the pokey-man card vendor. No need to reevaluate you life or anything. 😎

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Kinda goes without saying. 😉

If I offended any virgins or neckbeards I apologize. It's very cool to stalk the pokey-man card vendor. No need to reevaluate you life or anything. 😎

i have a neck beard and have...you know, i didnt stalk but i did cry about "no cards" lol... anyway point is. i would have told you if you want some of your precious poky-mans the line starts back there, you got a prob with that here is a tissue 😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

i have a neck beard and have...you know, i didnt stalk but i did cry about "no cards" lol... anyway point is. i would have told you if you want some of your precious poky-mans the line starts back there, you got a prob with that here is a tissue 😁

I'll brush your neck beard with my teeth.

• Haha 1

I have a pile of MtG cards I should probably get rid of.  Mostly stuff from a couple years ago (War of the Spark), but I have a few really nice cards.  I have one card that's pretty rare, an LP Mishra's Workshop from Antiquities.  If anyone wants to buy it off me, I'll throw in the rest of the MtG stuff for free, lol.

29 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

I yield! 

lol my dad captain'd 40' trap boat back in the day. he told me a story of two guys in the trap yard drinking and making bets. it ended when one guy said "you puke and ill eat it".....and it happend, unless my dads lying but he aint the type....thats the kind your dealing with here bri 😉

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, MrClutch said:

Cards are huge and it’s not just a weird bubble.

Like most of us, I collected when I was young in the “junk wax era” and then fizzled out in the mid 90’s.

I jumped back into it in late 2018. Just buying a few boxes of basketball cards here and there. Still haven’t poured tons of money into it but my card collection is now worth more than any video game collection I’ve ever owned. I had a 96 Topps Kobe rookie in a binder from when I was younger. Sent it in to PSA and it only got a an 8, but it’s worth $500 today.

Go to Target or Walmart and check out the card section. If you see any Basketball or Football cards there, buy them. $20 retail boxes don’t even hit the shelves anymore. There are 20 dudes waiting at 8am at every Target/Walmart for the card rep to stock the weekly supply. They buy every single box and immediately flip them on eBay for 3x the price they paid. This has been going on for over a year now, with no end in sight. It’s happening to Baseball, Soccer, and Pokémon cards now too.

Cards are doubling in price weekly and continuing to break record high sales. It’s nuts and it only keeps getting crazier. I remember seeing 2018-2019 Basketball cards sitting at Target and only buying a few $20 boxes. Those boxes sell for over $150-$400 a piece now. 

Do yourself a favor and go check out your old card collection and look up any of the big rookies. You’ll be surprised.

Everything you said is 100% on the money! I agree with you that modern cards have been super hot (during covid pandemic)and they get bought up at the Walmarts, Targets, etc., as soon as they are put-on the shelf. They quickly get listed on Ebay and people buy them for triple the price, but the vintage (key rookie cards, 1986 fleer Jordan, Barkley, Olajuwan, etc are through the roof right now.) Heck, even a high grade 3rd year Jordan fleer is going for thousands of dollars right now! I am not joking when I say that Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Bird, Magic, Brady and the list goes on and on of other cards that are literally going up in price by thousands of dollars by the day! Even a PSA 1 Jordan fleer rookie card is selling for around $5,000 right now. I will say it again, one year ago, you could have bought a PSA 10 Jordan rookie all day for around $35,000 and 2 of them just sold for $738,000! I have never seen a feeding frenzy in any collectible hobby come close to what is happening in sports card collecting at the moment! Will it last? Can it last? I don't know, but it has been crazy for a few months now and as I am writing this, cards keep breaking new selling records every day!

Edited by Dumars2001

7 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

I have never seen a feeding frenzy in any collectible hobby come close to what is happening in sports card collecting at the moment! Will it last? Can it last? I don't know, but it has been crazy for a few months now and as I am writing this, cards keep breaking new selling records every day!

If any group of people can relate to or understand what's going on with the card market, it's this group here at VGS.

This card boom started in 2018. Cards were starting to pick up a little bit of steam. Then Gary Vaynerchuk (huge social media following) started tweeting out about investing in cards. The market skyrocketed. Luka Doncic and Trae Young were having insane rookie years which had everyone chasing their cards, Then Zion Williamson comes out and has LeBron James type of hype coming out of college. Everyone is chasing Zion now. PSA grading starts booming. Everyone is chasing PSA 10 Gem Mint cards.

The pandemic hits and everyone is stuck home with nowhere to spend their money. ESPN releases "The Last Dance" and everyone who grew up in the 80's and 90's starts getting nostalgic for cards again. The vintage market skyrockets. Now, every era of basketball cards are at all time highs. Can't find basketball cards anywhere so people jump over to Football cards. Same thing happens. Tom Brady cards start flying up and everyone is speculating on the next big thing. Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, even Sam Darnold cards are now going insane. People now go over to Baseball, same thing happens. Soccer, same thing. WWF Wrestling cards, UFC Cards, Marvel cards, etc. It's happening to all of them now.

Logan Paul makes a YouTube video of an insanely priced Pokemon card. Guess what happens? That market explodes. Still hasn't even cooled off and continues to go up.

Now we have large investment groups pooling together millions of dollars and buying up LeBron PSA 10 rookies, Tom Brady rookies, Mike Trout rookies, Jordan rookies, etc. These legends keep going up daily because there isn't enough of them and they're a sure-fire investment. 

The market had a few dips but it was just going back to reality like a healthy market does. It picks up and goes down every once in a while but it looks like these sure-fire bets like Jordan and LeBron are just getting started. 

Look at the LeBron James PSA 10 Topps Chrome rookie:

Population (2,071)

1 year ago: $3,500
6 months ago: $15,000
1 month ago: $22,000
Today: $40,000

This card isn't some rare holy grail either. It's not like a Stadium Events or NWC. There's over 2,000 PSA 10s available. You have always been able to buy one whenever you want on eBay. You could have bought one a year ago easily.

Let's look back at this post in a month and laugh when this card, that you can go buy here for $45,000 OBO on ebay, is worth over $60,000. Or in a year when it's worth over $100,000.

There's tons of money flowing into this hobby now and I think it can grow even more. 

Edited by MrClutch
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrClutch said:

If any group of people can relate to or understand what's going on with the card market, it's this group here at VGS.

This card boom started in 2018. Cards were starting to pick up a little bit of steam. Then Gary Vaynerchuk (huge social media following) started tweeting out about investing in cards. The market skyrocketed. Luka Doncic and Trae Young were having insane rookie years which had everyone chasing their cards, Then Zion Williamson comes out and has LeBron James type of hype coming out of college. Everyone is chasing Zion now. PSA grading starts booming. Everyone is chasing PSA 10 Gem Mint cards.

The pandemic hits and everyone is stuck home with nowhere to spend their money. ESPN releases "The Last Dance" and everyone who grew up in the 80's and 90's starts getting nostalgic for cards again. The vintage market skyrockets. Now, every era of basketball cards are at all time highs. Can't find basketball cards anywhere so people jump over to Football cards. Same thing happens. Tom Brady cards start flying up and everyone is speculating on the next big thing. Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, even Sam Darnold cards are now going insane. People now go over to Baseball, same thing happens. Soccer, same thing. WWF Wrestling cards, UFC Cards, Marvel cards, etc. It's happening to all of them now.

Logan Paul makes a YouTube video of an insanely priced Pokemon card. Guess what happens? That market explodes. Still hasn't even cooled off and continues to go up.

Now we have large investment groups pooling together millions of dollars and buying up LeBron PSA 10 rookies, Tom Brady rookies, Mike Trout rookies, Jordan rookies, etc. These legends keep going up daily because there isn't enough of them and they're a sure-fire investment. 

The market had a few dips but it was just going back to reality like a healthy market does. It picks up and goes down every once in a while but it looks like these sure-fire bets like Jordan and LeBron are just getting started. 

Look at the LeBron James PSA 10 Topps Chrome rookie:

Population (2,071)

1 year ago: $3,500
6 months ago: $15,000
1 month ago: $22,000
Today: $40,000

This card isn't some rare holy grail either. It's not like a Stadium Events or NWC. There's over 2,000 PSA 10s available. You have always been able to buy one whenever you want on eBay. You could have bought one a year ago easily.

Let's look back at this post in a month and laugh when this card, that you can go buy here for $45,000 OBO on ebay, is worth over $60,000. Or in a year when it's worth over $100,000.

There's tons of money flowing into this hobby now and I think it can grow even more. 

Very informative and well said. VegasDave thinks the bubble will burst. I really don't know what to think at this point. Just crazy times! 

44 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

Very informative and well said. VegasDave thinks the bubble will burst. I really don't know what to think at this point. Just crazy times! 

I can't watch anything Vegas Dave puts out. He invested over $2 million into Derek Carr rookie cards and is STILL holding on to them. I feel like he sold his Trout and messed up on Derek Carr so now he wants the market to tank.

I think the market will continue to grow but it very well could burst in a few years time. Just like anything. The one thing I'm scared of is the fact that all of these grading card companies have over a million cards backed up in their system waiting to be graded. Think about the effect those cards would have on the market if they were all released in the next year. I think they're doing a good job of trickling them out so we don't really see the market being flooded. That's just because they can't keep up. If they do catch up, or grading becomes automated, the market could take a huge hit when millions of cards start going to market at once. The population count of a Zion PSA 10 could go from 500 to 4,000 in a matter of weeks.

Trading cards can appeal to a larger audience than a lot of other collectibles. There could be trading cards of anything. For example. I bought one of my kids a $20 Fortnite Mega Box of cards at Target or Walmart for Christmas a few months ago. I also bought 3 more for me to put in my stash. Those boxes are worth almost $200 on eBay now. I probably passed up on 20 or more of those during the holidays. You know how many times I kick myself for not taking out a 2nd mortgage on my house and buying cards with it?

I literally spent $60 at Walmart 2 months ago on Fortnite trading cards that were sitting on the shelf along with a dozen others and now they're worth almost $600. I was just guessing they'd be popular and it wasn't much of a gamble but damn do I wish I'd have bought all of them now.

Think of how many topics have been started about the bubble in the video game collecting hobby. Did a bubble ever burst? I don't think so. When you have a market that attracts the younger generations, it'll continue to thrive. That's what video games and cards both have.

Edited by MrClutch