IGNORED

The card market has absolutely exploded!!!

Dumars2001

12 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

I really hope this is Tulip Mania all over again but it has been going on for about a year now, with record sales happening basically every day with just about every semi-popular player's card. Just nuts now, where little Mikey can't even buy a pack of basketball cards, because as soon as they are put on the shelves, they are bought up and sold for 5x times more on Ebay! And things do sell extremely fast and often!

I remember those horrors of back in 1990-1992 a few years before online took off.  I used to get like a half dozen comic books a month, buy a video game now and again when I could save up, also liked to get baseball cards.  IN that period a tulipmania thing happened then too with the comics and cards.  I got priced out.  A-hole adults would run to these stores while we were in school, but up every pack, every comic off the rack and then take them back to their own stores, open up the packs, seal and bag up the comics, plastic case or plastic sleeve cards and charge $5 on this $10 on that, various others $1-2 a piece from packs that cost a quarter, and comics that were at the time $1-1.25 now being $5-10 right away. 

Those shops lasted for a few years until around 95-96 when everyone of them about went under, guessing the internet destroyed their local monopolies on screwing people and they got what they had coming.  30 years later, comics and cards, full circle comes around again but this time with the internet, far more people to fleece with far deeper pockets so it's easily more sustainable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tbone3969 said:

Oh yes it has blown up.  Thing is it really happened to only the top 5% of the cards out there.  The other 95% are worthless IMO.  High graded copies of premium players and super rare inserts are where the only money is at.  I remember almost pulling the trigger on an Upper Deck Jeter SP rookie PSA 9 about ten years ago but didn't because I thought paying over $300 for it was nuts.  Well last time I checked it is now a 5k card.  Crazy.

there it is in bold. about 5% of what gets pulled is worth real $. the rest is for wanabes. i like to rip packs since i was a kid so i still throw $100 at it every once in a while if i can find any.

12 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@SilverspoonGaming dude. cole fucking trickle...

another cool hobby.. slot cars

01D49437-17C4-418E-A3BF-9189A11551A8.jpeg

My old man is a huge slot car collector.  Of course I have the 3 Cole Trickle cars and also the Russ Wheeler Hardees car at his house.  The chassis on my Mellow Yellow car is super fast, but I havent actually ran them since probably 2003.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

My old man is a huge slot car collector.  Of course I have the 3 Cole Trickle cars and also the Russ Wheeler Hardees car at his house.  The chassis on my Mellow Yellow car is super fast, but I havent actually ran them since probably 2003.

my father got me into it 25+ years ago 🙂

he bought a tyco set for christmas ("viper u-turn") and then he picked up a HUGE set of tyco track and cars at a yard sale. 

the yard sale haul had at least 3 of the days of thunder cars. he built an awesome track out of it that all the kids in the nieghborhood would play.

those two (superflow and mello)  i picked up from a fb page for around $15 a piece. there runners. funny you mention your mello yellow chassis is fast because mine seems to be the best runner as well lol. i took the window out of it 😉 i think there was a rowdy burns exxon car as well.

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 1

@BriGuy82

this is another one i really like. huge miami heat fan so i love zo. not a huge fan of collecting miami guys in other unis but this card is too bad ass to not put in the pc.

there was a shawn kemp too witch by popularity is a "better" card (and i have to say it is bad ass too).

926F1E25-BB82-43BA-8CA3-159F7F06756B.jpeg

71859A02-2577-4C6E-92C1-23EDBA6E3C92.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@BriGuy82

this is another one i really like. huge miami heat fan so i love zo. not a huge fan of collecting miami guys in other unis but this card is too bad ass to not put in the pc.

there was a shawn kemp too witch by popularity is a "better" card (and i have to say it is bad ass too).

926F1E25-BB82-43BA-8CA3-159F7F06756B.jpeg

71859A02-2577-4C6E-92C1-23EDBA6E3C92.jpeg

Im a die hard Heat fan and Zo was my fav player of all time!

40 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Im a die hard Heat fan and Zo was my fav player of all time!

30 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

It's amazing how much tougher and more competitive players were 20+years ago. I'm a knicks fan, but I can respect how much Alonzo Mourning hated us. That guy wanted to win. 

you guys are tearing my heart strings!!! those mid 90's-2000 miami ny playoff matches are some of the best ill ever see. jordan was great no doubt. but mia and ny HATE each other (at least basketball) and they literally fought for it.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 11:43 PM, docile tapeworm said:

@SilverspoonGaming dude. cole fucking trickle...

another cool hobby.. slot cars

01D49437-17C4-418E-A3BF-9189A11551A8.jpeg

I am into them.  Just recently dusted off the old track I used to use with my dad for my kids.  It was fun for sure but my kids are still too young.  My son kept eating the rubber tires off the cars lol.  Also my four year old daughter kept stepping on the track and what not.  Packed them up for another day down the road.  I was surprised by the price of some of the cars I have.  I sold a Miller Light Indy car for $150 on eBay.  Seems the ones with alcohol and tobacco markings on them were short printed.  Makes sense when you realize they were marketed for kids.  I still have the red Marlboro Indy car that I am keeping.  Good memories with my Dad, that's for sure.

• Love 1