IGNORED

Green gbc with gen 2 pokemon screen

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

They sell those screens on eBay and on Aliexpress. I haven’t scrutinized them for any differences, but I think they look pretty close to the real thing. You should look into whether that screen ever came on that color system.. my gut tells me it didn’t, but I could be wrong

I been trying And I've for sure never seen it on that color before which is why I jumped at the sale. I know they sell that screen aftermarket too busy hoping someone knew something I didn't. 

That's 100% an original shell and rear sticker, the lens was probably beat to hell so someone bought a plastic or glass lens for around $5USD with the pokemon critters on it and prettied their system up.

I work on these for fun and to make a little on the back end selling rescues so I come across this a lot in creating or acquiring things as they are.  The only suspect bit is that rear sticker, it's been lifted, but it is real.  Also appears the bar code has 2 of them one over the top.  I'm almost wondering if someone had a spare shell, and the original was jacked up and they carefully lifted one to another and laid things on top.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a heads up and I can take a picture or two, but starting with that into the GBA era Nintendo went to those thicker metallic backed stickers which then on top had a clear laminate layer over that (why you see ripples sometimes from usage.)  They're not hard to remove if you're very slow and very careful.  I have a stash of I think around 6 that go to the SP 101 and 001.  They were pulled off fubar systems and will get re-used on a repaired one, those bootleg stickers suck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah that definitely got pulled up and wasn't re-applied very well.  All it really takes is using a mix of the original adhesive and some classic catch all the elmers glue stick.  They could have at least laid it down properly centered, lazy that is.

You have a good junk candidate.  The shell is beat anyway seeing it zoomed in and a little discolored as those old kiwi ones did.  I'd hit up handheld legend or the retro game repair shop and buy a new shell to your liking, maybe a new color or see through (I recently just did a sapphire colored GBP which looks insane.)  Then from there your choice really, go with a true 100% drop in with no soldering, but is slightly smaller so you'll need the matching glass for it.  Or you can get the 1:1 style too, just needs some internal plastic carving to make it flush with the shell interior...may need a wire or two soldered though.

I have 2 GBCs to cannibalize for this I'll probably end up doing later this month or early next.  I want to get my money back out of those 2 GBPs and the DMG I just worked up last week first.  I'm thinking I'll see again how nice the 2 shells are as they're both purple originals.  Hey I just snapped this, you can see the before and after on a stock system with just the screen popped out.  I did this over a year ago after that LCD v2 came out that was 10% smaller, but was a true drop in no solder fix and it's a TFT if I recall, so it's slightly less bright and poppy, trade off is it sips battery and can work in and outside.  The IPS that's more popular eats batteries more and in direct light like a mobile phone, it's not very playable.  I did have another image, all 3 of them, that one I stuffed Genjin Collection in there, didn't come out so well.

GBC-before-after.JPG

gbc-trio-genjin.JPG

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SuperJimtendo said:

Looking at it compared to my og. Your right it does look strange. But hey I paid $60 for it with pokemon yellow and I wanted a junk gba to put a backlit screen in  unsteady of modding my originals anyway.

You definitely did alright by that metric. The Game Boy scene is fun, whether you’re modding or whatever. $60 is a good price.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Misplaced stickers on the shell makes me think even the shell is Knock off

Yeah I am with you on this - the serial number sticker is wrong and the other stickers placeholder dimensions look off. The ACN # font looks to thick and I can't tell from the pictures but I think the COMM writing on the front top left is missing.

If the person swapped the shell they probably did you a favor anyways because the original shell was probably in rough shape  

6FF9CFC7-E728-4F5E-8BFC-CF3D07C951D7.jpeg

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those GBCs I posted yesterday, I hate to break it to you, but they're all 100% legit, and each sticker is a different variant with no number, a -1, and a -2 on the back.  The font fatness changes on each... that's why I went as far as saying that sticker was real or I would have figured it stunk too.  The shell looks right, but the battery cover isn't 100% and as common with the fake kiwis they stain out looking like aging avocado compared (which that image catches well enough.)  The white bar code sticker, that looks like something Nintendo would have done on something sent back to them, they do re-issue new serial numbers and have laid them over old stuff, I think they do it for warranty repair so they can track them for their new 1yr of coverage from failure.