Jump to content
IGNORED

First Ninja Gaiden true no damage run


DefaultGen
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just saw this, although it happened in December. Ninja Gaiden has a normally impossible to avoid hit at the very end of the game, although through nearly inhuman TAS-like button mashing you can barely avoid it with 5 slash cancels in 0.33 seconds. And you gotta perform that at the right moment after a no damage run through the rest of Ninja Gaiden. This is some legit "pro gamers are athletes" type stuff.

 

  • Like 2
  • Wow! 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, peg said:

So basically the only reason this was seen as "impossible" is because the speedrunning community is too dumb to simply use autofire? Got it lmfao.

Or because speedrunners, which is the main competitive factor in this game, take several hits intentionally throughout the game, because it's faster than not doing it.
There's no "no damage" categories for obvious reasons.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Autofire wouldn't even help. The button combo to slash cancel is down > B > release down. You have to do that sequence of 3 actions 5 times in a third of a second without messing up once.

Maybe the speedrunners are too dumb to use one of those fancy programmable controllers though.

z2Qq7CP.jpg

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

Or because speedrunners, which is the main competitive factor in this game, take several hits intentionally throughout the game, because it's faster than not doing it.
There's no "no damage" categories for obvious reasons.

It does save time to kill it that way, they just don't try it because it cant be pulled off consistently.  Except it probably could if they dropped the autofire = cheating stupidity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, peg said:

It does save time to kill it that way, they just don't try it because it cant be pulled off consistently.  Except it probably could if they dropped the autofire = cheating stupidity.

They won't drop the "autofire = cheating stupidity" on account of the fact that autofire = cheating.  Now you know 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cartman said:

That was pretty interesting with an enemy like that that theoretically can be beaten in a way that it really isn't intended to. I wonder if the programmers ever considered that it's beatable? Or they simply just threw in an unspecific and relatively high healthbar as if it isn't.

I think what happened is that they gave the demon's head its own health bar (that's not visible), and after it gets low enough, it triggers the head to scurry across the screen. A few more hits destroys it, but very few people can speed tap fast enough to finish it off before it runs into you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, peg said:

It does save time to kill it that way, they just don't try it because it cant be pulled off consistently.

Plenty of other places in the game allows you to save a notable amount of time by taking a hit though, so it doesn't matter if they get the demon head or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I think what happened is that they gave the demon's head its own health bar (that's not visible), and after it gets low enough, it triggers the head to scurry across the screen. A few more hits destroys it, but very few people can speed tap fast enough to finish it off before it runs into you.

So it would be killable like a sideeffect of when it gets deattached, wich in turn is determined by it's healthbar. 

Yeah that could be. Altough i think you could just as easily program it so that the attached head takes X hits to drop while the deattached is immortal, still doesn't answer why they didn't.

The running head could've had the same visual/audial effect of a connecting strike while making 0 damage or that it makes damage but would require 1000 hits = unbeatable by anyone.

The latter example could be a programming technique based on the notion that it's harder and takes more time to design immortality for whatever reason. But i doubt there is such an issue.

Edited by cartman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, peg said:

Even so, having a high rate autofire on the attack alone would greatly simply it since you just have to mash 1 button instead of 2.

The trick only works if you mash down and b at the same time, if you autofire just the slash, it still has a cool down and you can only slash a couple times before hitting the ground again. Pushing down at the same time is what cancels the cool down

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The hit is intentional to bring your energy down to 15 from 16 so that you can only take 5 hits from the shrimp and not 6. Nothing more than classic NES cheapness. I believe it's just a fluke that slash cancelling exists the way it does and they programmed the head to have a 'normal' health bar. The fact that the head can be destroyed with this technique is nothing more than a coincidence in my opinion.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cartman said:

Yeah that could be. Altough i think you could just as easily program it so that the attached head takes X hits to drop while the deattached is immortal, still doesn't answer why they didn't.

 

Probably because that may need to be a separate sprite, whereas the first option it's the same sprite, just suddenly moving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

They won't drop the "autofire = cheating stupidity" on account of the fact that autofire = cheating.  Now you know 🙂

Yeah I guess everyone who ever used a NES advantage or Max is just a dirty cheater. 

And don't forget anyone who ever played the turbografx, total fakes and cheaters all of them.

Edited by peg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure if someone had done this using autofire (still not really sure how you want to reliably slash-cancel using autofire, but whatever) the feat would still be recognized as impressive.

When speedrunners don't do it, it's as DefaultGen says it - the competitive scene is what sets the rules. Some games welcome autofire, some are just broken by it, it really does depend on the context.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...