IGNORED

PSA some asshole is doing spot on counterfeits of NWC now

Lincoln

Selling counterfeit goods is illegal. I see people get busted for selling fake at flea markets at least once a year. Idk what the laws are in France but here in the US selling counterfeit good will at least get them seized. 

Idk who here thinks 1:1 knock offs is ok. I legit just shit in a thread not even s month ago where the OP was asking where to get repro labels and I was far from alone. Maybe in 2012 that was more of a thing when repros were in demand but it's been almost a decade since that craze has fizzled. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Repros are illegal, I do not support them, I will report them if I come across them. It's THAT simple.

Just curious, but does that mean you're ok with people selling "repros" (bootlegs, prototypes, etc) on this site then actively?  I never saw it in the rules it wasn't allowed here so I'm curious if that's a thing here?

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Just curious, but does that mean you're ok with people selling "repros" (bootlegs, prototypes, etc) on this site then actively?  I never saw it in the rules it wasn't allowed here so I'm curious if that's a thing here?

In this instance I am speaking only for myself. 

That said, I honestly don't recall specifically the written rules and would have to go re-read them. Could always change as an "oversight" if necessary, consider the forum as generally fluid - our top priority with regard to commerce rules is protecting our members.

• Like 2

Makes sense.  Not trying to throw you given the conversation or the site under the bus.  I just know that between the time I was on NA and here, shit like what the Nolan's pulled and other bootleggy stuff now seems frowned upon. Yet I do daily read the for sale section and I do see retrousb this, bootleg of something else that, or a hack using an original carts data, etc.  That is all patently illegal bootleg stuff, so that's why I asked since you're dead against the things...or at least the modern era stuff?  I mean is it worth getting testy over a 20-40 year old famiclone cart or gameboy multi...hard to say, though the games on them would still be stolen.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Makes sense.  Not trying to throw you given the conversation or the site under the bus.  I just know that between the time I was on NA and here, shit like what the Nolan's pulled and other bootleggy stuff now seems frowned upon. Yet I do daily read the for sale section and I do see retrousb this, bootleg of something else that, or a hack using an original carts data, etc.  That is all patently illegal bootleg stuff, so that's why I asked since you're dead against the things...or at least the modern era stuff?  I mean is it worth getting testy over a 20-40 year old famiclone cart or gameboy multi...hard to say, though the games on them would still be stolen.

It's worth remembering that I am not the site. I'm just a dude that put up a website for people to hang out on. Am I disturbingly dedicated to it? Maybe, sometimes.

But I'm not the be-all-end-all face of the community. I'm not Dain.

We have discussions and we do our best to include the community feedback in those discussions and decisions. 

You tell us what you wanna see. Will we implement what YOU want every time? No. But we'll listen, certainly.

• Like 1

That's fine.  And it's a GOOD thing you're not that guy, out with the bad in with the good and all that.

Personally I don't care one way or the  other in most things.  I strongly don't believe that prototypes should get peddled, because without proper documentation you didn't even have the right to get it in the first place, let alone to pass it along as it's stolen corporate property. 🙂  But multicarts, translation hacks, famiclones, clone systems, don't really care.

I imagine though a select few things, they should probably be stopped.  Nintendo with the ACA on the Switch, they do sell VS Super Mario Bros, same game bunny was peddling on a hacked cart.  That could get some unwanted attention.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

You tell us what you wanna see. Will we implement what YOU want every time? No. But we'll listen, certainly.

Is there some way we could get, like, paid for reading and shitposting the site? Some sort of coupon scheme or VGS bucks or something?! Maybe a prizes thread where if we save up enough memes we can get like a lil bootleg plushie Gloves?! ☺️

Oh, also pics of @Reed Rothchild's wife... Yeah... and pics of @Reed Rothchild... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

That said, I reported it as I would any repro. (yes, I created a French ebay account to do so)

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

1. It's not my job to go out of my way to find and report repros

Creating a French eBay account to report something is *not* going out of your way? Wow, seems like a lot of effort tbh.

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

She is posting illegal stuff that breaks ebays rules. So I reported it. At worst, they have their related accounts suspended or altogether deleted, and that PERFECTLY fits the "crime" going on here. 

You're really reaching.

Not really, I actually know a guy that is scraping by making repros. I don't particularly like what he's doing, but that's his thing, not mine, and his situation is quite dire to say the least. All thanks to Covid-19. He's definitely not gonna be the only one.

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

So doing something against ebays terms of service, and something that can be potentially damaging to the community you're a part of is really ok because theres a possibility they might need a few extra dollars because or they wont be able to provide for their family.  

ASTOUNDING.  Like this will cripple their entire life.  Good lord.  Consequences have repercussions.  They made their bed now they have to lie in it.  Take some accountability in your life.

For my guy above, it definitely would ruin his life. And his situation has nothing to do with bad choices, aside from being birthed in a poor part of the world. Not everything's black and white, try to learn about others' situations before passing judgement.

45 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

If he's not, gotta get rid of the protos, all repros, I'll modify my sale thread as well, no retrousb repros, no Timewalk, no Tengen Tetris though the others are fine, etc.

I'm curious though, would selling clone machines be okay since the patents have expired, or only okay for clones that were made *after* the patents expired ?

41 minutes ago, Gloves said:

That said, I honestly don't recall specifically the written rules and would have to go re-read them. Could always change as an "oversight" if necessary, consider the forum as generally fluid - our top priority with regard to commerce rules is protecting our members.

Got a bit heavy on the quoting, not much to comment on this.

35 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yup there was tons of that going on, and people didn't care, and many still don't. They only care if you key a Mercedes, but keying something else is fine.

56 minutes ago, Gloves said:

You're opening a real can of worms here.  A lot of the stuff in the homebrew section falls under what the community now calls "repro" but is actually illegal bootleg, ie: any game "ported" to another console without obtaining an appropriate license.  Am I allowed to sell an Ultimate Frogger NES cart on here?  Should I be allowed to have my Wanted thread where I'm looking for almost all of the VS NES games?  eBay's stance is to just ignore the issue and make $$$; our community's stance has always been to just ignore the issue and enjoy the games, but I don't think there's a collector on this forum that doesn't own an "illegal" bootleg game.  Just some food for thought...

3 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

*ugh* thank @Gloves now I need to add these to my archive as "Known frauds"

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/203232001281

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/203231996258

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/333875393288

Two different sellers to boot.

Terrible.

Just change the .fr in those links to .com and anyone registered on US eBay can see those auctions just fine...

• Like 1

Just now, Gloves said:

I swear I must be missing something; aren't you usually against repros @fcgamer? I feel like I'm missing something.

I stopped worrying about it a few years back, probably shortly before the NA fiasco.

As I mentioned earlier, people like to cherry pick what they feel is right and wrong, in terms of repros and the community. That leaves a very bad taste in my mouth, as it just makes those involved look like a bunch of gatekeeping hypocrites.

I say live and let live, as Darth Vader pointed out, anyone in the market for one of these should do the research before buying. Really not much more to say on the matter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

This is where the semantics are different man.

To “most” people those aren’t the same type of repro as the ones we’re talking about in the main thread of this topic.

Many would be accepting of those because the intent isn’t to deceive people into believing they’re authentic, the intent is to create a physical object of something out of reach for mere mortals.

It’s like, if I wanted to play Recca I’d have to buy a $1000 CIB. I can “emulate” it, but that’s boring...I can throw it in a flash cart, but that’s not special...but if I can have a reproduction made that’s not blatantly being original then it’s a cool thing. Its illegal still, but so is downloading a rom.

HOWEVER, If I were in the market for a $1000 copy then it would REALLY suck if I paid $1000 and found out it’s fake. I didn’t buy Recca at $1000 to just PLAY Recca. I could have emulated it Afterall! I bought Recca to store some value on my shelf.

Theres little nuances I think you’re missing man.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ThePhleo said:

This is where the semantics are different man.

To “most” people those aren’t the same type of repro as the ones we’re talking about in the main thread of this topic.

Many would be accepting of those because the intent isn’t to deceive people into believing they’re authentic, the intent is to create a physical object of something out of reach for mere mortals.

It’s like, if I wanted to play Recca I’d have to buy a $1000 CIB. I can “emulate” it, but that’s boring...I can throw it in a flash cart, but that’s not special...but if I can have a reproduction made that’s not blatantly being original then it’s a cool thing. Its illegal still, but so is downloading a rom.

HOWEVER, If I were in the market for a $1000 copy then it would REALLY suck if I paid $1000 and found out it’s fake. I didn’t buy Recca at $1000 to just PLAY Recca. I could have emulated it Afterall! I bought Recca to store some value on my shelf.

Theres little nuances I think you’re missing man.

I'm not missing it at all @ThePhleo , rather I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy and weak justifications people are using to justify what they feel is okay and denounce what they feel is not ok.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Is there some way we could get, like, paid for reading and shitposting the site? Some sort of coupon scheme or VGS bucks or something?! Maybe a prizes thread where if we save up enough memes we can get like a lil bootleg plushie Gloves?! ☺️

Oh, also pics of @Reed Rothchild's wife... Yeah... and pics of @Reed Rothchild... 

First one's free

No photo description available.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted

4 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Man, now that's a pretty looking cart🤩

s-l1600.jpg

The funny thing is I bought one of these, as well as a few things that I regret buying, as I was new.

The weird thing is I completely agree with FC on most of this, most of the time. Hence my last comment - I don't get it, something changed? 

I have a few games I regret buying cuz I thought they were homebrews since I was new to the hobby. I just didn't know the difference. I learned, and have felt kinda scammed tbh. They weren't very clearly labeled, so people new to the hobby would know what was going on. Like why did that stupid thing cost SO MUCH? Lining pockets cuz names were dropped.

I support homebrews and homebrews alone with regard to "new old" games. 

@fcgamer with regard to reporting that repro, I literally just clicked "Login with Google" and it worked immediately. If my brackets made it sound like it was more effort than that I apologize.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I'm not missing it at all @ThePhleo , rather I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy and weak justifications people are using to justify what they feel is okay and denounce what they feel is not ok.

Hmm. 😕

Maybe I’m missing it then. I’m not sure if there’s anyone here who would condone 1:1 repros (or even the ATTEMPT no matter how poor the craftsmanship) of Recca, Lickle, Punchout gold, Stadium Events, or even Mario/Duck Hunt.

Those Dendy carts aren’t authentic articles, no? (at least not all of them)

Im not sure where the hypocrisy is unless its the fact that there’s a certain line people are willing to accept as “fake enough”

Edit: also let me add I’d love to hear your point of view in more detail. Contrary to the abrasive discussion, I actually highly value your knowledge and insight into your specialties

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

For my guy above, it definitely would ruin his life. And his situation has nothing to do with bad choices, aside from being birthed in a poor part of the world. Not everything's black and white, try to learn about others' situations before passing judgement.

We're talking about the person who made the NWC repro?  Thats who im referring to.  If they're in such need with such a high skill of replicating an NES-EVENT-02 board, they could easily go into business for themselves and create other NES/SNES/Genesis PCBs with mappers and sell them like infiniteneslives or any of those other places.

• Like 1

Just to demonstrate something, I've posted some pictures.

8773499600_1612243214.jpg

A: Baby Boomer, famicom version. It's licensed by Color Dreams. Yet anyone seeing that picture would call it a bootleg (it's not).

4450215500_1612243316.jpgB: Pokemon, by Sintax. It's an original game, yet everyone would call this a bootleg.

https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/6117372200_1612243402.jpg

C Rockman X by Sachen. Same situation as the Pokemon game. People would call it a bootleg, yet it's original.

4425541400_1612243477.jpg

D Three Kingdoms, Famicom. Original game, no license from Nintendo. People would call it a bootleg, though it's an original game.

9466841800_1612243554.jpg

E Mahjong Academy by Sachen. Again, original game, yet people would call it a bootleg.

https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/6282863200_1612243590.jpg

F Tetris by Tengen. People would likely consider this unlicensed at worst, despite the game infringing on Nintendo's property.

https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/6423545200_1612243627.jpg

G Robodemons, by Color Dreams. Original game, many would consider it unlicensed.

7582042300_1612243661.jpg

H Super Mario All-stars. This one's a fake, it was made in the early to mid 90s. 

This is where the situation and problems start, imo.

Why does something like Ultimate Frogger or Larry get a pass as homebrew, and even Tetris gets a pass, yet that Pokemon game I showed above is considered bootleg by most? All are exactly the same, original games with stolen IP.

Why are people okay with "repros" of games exclusive to other regions, yet the original versions are sometimes considered bootlegs?

is 1:1 the problem? I know some folks would have a problem with the Mario All-stars I posted, but considering its contemporary with the machine , I personally think worth a bit more, historically anyways.

We all have our preferences for okay repros / boots, and ones we don't like. The nwc really doesn't bother me, but I'm not in the market for that anyways.

trying to decide what is "okay" and what "isn't" is like trying to decide on pizza toppings with your family. Because of that and also dozens of bias against games being released in Asia , I simply stopped giving a crap about fighting a war that can never be won.