IGNORED

PSA some asshole is doing spot on counterfeits of NWC now

Lincoln

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, OptOut said:

Plot twist:

@Gloves buys those fake NWCs using VGS funds, then immediately lists them in the classified section as the real deal.

After selling 5 copies and walking away with a cool half mil, VGS is erased from the internet and no one ever hears from him again.

CURSES!

*banned*

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Gloves said:

If this post gets 5 upvotes I'll buy all the NWC repros this person is selling w/ VGS funds and then smash them live on Twitch.

Do we really need a remake of Fakes vs Hammer? The original still holds the test of time after all these years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, OptOut said:

Plot twist:

@Gloves buys those fake NWCs using VGS funds, then immediately lists them in the classified section as the real deal.

After selling 5 copies and walking away with a cool half mil, VGS is erased from the internet and no one ever hears from him again.

I look forward to the evolution of the next forum:

PlasticCardboardRomsage.com ?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

@ThePhleo

Pretty good, but concerning aftermarket, what constitutes retail lifespan? Where do you place Just Dance Wii 2018-2020?

There's all sorts of fringe cases like that in game history.

NES Discontinued August 1995, but Smurfs and Asterix was printed in Europe all the way up to the middle of 1996.

PS2 Discontinued some time in 2013 but a couple soccer games and even a Final Fantasy XI expansion came out in 2014.

PS1 Discontinued March 2006, but I think Square Enix only recently stopped printing some games.

I think if you had to compile a list of "fringe" cases it would be a pretty short list maybe only a couple dozen titles long.

My gut tells me that since they were printed by Nintendo themselves (or, under authorization by Nintendo) then they're standard releases with a "aftermarket" flare. Sort of like how there are "pirate" games that can be "Pirate Originals" or "Rom Hacks"

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Looping back around yet again...here's this chart.

ayyy.jpg.cff813bd04f81e2ba3db4bcfbe01e916.jpg

Is this exclusively in reference to physical media? I thought pirated was the term for illegally copied software. Not necessarily in cartridge form, just the code itself

Edited by phart010

3 hours ago, phart010 said:

Is this exclusively in reference to physical media? I thought pirated was the term for illegally copied software. Not necessarily in cartridge form, just the code itself

Pirate it just the catch-all I use for anything that heavily uses unlicensed intellectual property.

For example, Sachen has a game called “Super Pang” it’s a direct rip off “Pang” the arcade game, but 100% coded by Sachen. . . However their game “Jurassic Boy 2” is a clone of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 but doesn’t use Sega IP, so it’s just a regular old unlicensed game which belongs in the “Unauthorized” territory.

I also don’t consider this chart exclusive to physical media. You can use it for PSN games, or unprinted NES homebrews...even games that never had a single byte of programming done but were mentioned in advertisements and press releases.

Its versatile enough that you can even use it for any gaming platform including PC.

Edit: Also, I’d like to add that I have a bunch of subcategories. For example, NWC Gold ends up in the “Standard Release” category but it’s really a very special cartridge...so it gets a subcategory called “Contest Prize” ... grey is a little more different since it was also given away in a competition but it wasn’t INTENDED to be given away as so many competitors in the collecting scene say.

You also have games like Star Fox Weekend, and Donkey Kong Country Competition Cartridge which were once used in competitions but then we’re available by mail order. They’re “Standard Releases” that belong in the “Mail Order” subcategory.

Next you have games like “ClayFighter Sculptors Cut” which were exclusive to Blockbusters. It’s a Standard Release that belongs in the “Rental” subcategory.

So each “answer” in this flow chart probably has another set of questions.

Intent is key because even the Legend of Zelda test cart ends up as “Software” since it’s intention isn’t to be entertaining but rather to test the system.

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 1

I know we had a fun talk about bootlegs and fun definitions that basically 15 people or less in the world care about but

THE AUCTION IS AT €800 GUYS!

So $1000 shipped with 3 hours left and we're worried about the definition of some words 11 people use? C'mon this type of interest in a counterfeit cart is a problem with the community at large. This is t the average consumer who just wants one on their wall. These are people who spend thousands of dollars per cart bidding on this.

Can we be adults and talk about how this type of interest is only going to drive the manufacturer to presue making more counterfeit carts to get closer to the authentic carts? 

The bidding this high suggests there is a great desire for replica carts. The closer those carts are to authentic, the more these whackos are going to pay.

I don't get it. This is another one of those items where I've been outbid and I'm like, "Who besides me would give a shit about a repro NWC cart?" I was going to add it to the Aftermarket Archive as an example of the next gen NWC repros, a step away from being perfected.

And for the record, I was outbid a long time ago. Who's paying this much if it isn't me?

Edited by Ferris Bueller
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

I don't get it. This is another one of those items where I've been outbid and I'm like, "Who besides me would give a shit about a repro NWC cart?" I was going to add it to the Aftermarket Archive as an example of the next gen NWC repros, a step away from being perfected.

And for the record, I was outbid a long time ago. Who's paying this much if it isn't me?

Shills, or future scammers?

5 minutes ago, RH said:

Shills, or future scammers?

Yeah, I posted that then wondered if it's a dickhead who's going to try and flip it on someone who doesn't do their research. And I could see the person shilling it up, they said they have five and we're going to sell the others. Future eBay description, "The last one sold for $XXXX..."

Edited by Ferris Bueller
  • Like 1

What I find interesting is that 1. seller claims to have made these herself, and 2. "only 5 made." Then why are there nearly two dozen already up on eBay with the same custom PCB? Clearly more than 5 made. All are based in France, too. With this many made, I also take into question the creator's claim that these were made simply to "see if it was possible." Clearly made for profit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Same here. I thought for the novelty and only 5 made, $150 would've been a cool bid to throw down and something to have in my after market collection where I have several NWC 1990 repros, and I'm sure for your collection it would've been an even more complete picture of the evolution of the aftermarket scene. But $1k is unreal!

2 hours ago, Speedy_NES said:

Clearly made for profit

Yes sir-ry-bob! The seller is clearly going to milk as many of these as possible. I think they exploited potential buyers who often go for low print run after market games. Sellers a scammer and if these were any other high dollar, openly counterfeit item, ebay would've pulled it by now. 

• Like 1