Jump to content
IGNORED

Virtual Boy Weekly Contest Round 8: Galactic Pinball


Red
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello and welcome to the eighth round of the Virtual Boy Weekly Contest!  This week's game is Galactic Pinball.  For whatever reason, there's no ball in this one.  Instead, you'll be hitting a puck around the table.  I guess Galactic Puckball doesn't have the same ring to it.  Anyway, this is a pretty good pinball game.  Easily one of my favorite games on the system.

Rules:

- Play on the UFO table until Game Over

- Enter your VGS name (or as much of it that fits) on the High Score screen

- You may take your picture on the table screen if you're fast enough

- Highest score wins

- You have until 11:00 PM EST on Sunday, February 7, 2021 to submit your score.


For general contest rules, click here:

https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/5999-virtual-boy-weekly-contest-leaderboard-rules-20202021/

 

Good luck and have fun!

 

SCOREBOARD:

1. 45,502,000 (Splain)

2. 23,999,500 (ZeldaFan042)

3. 11,325,500 (a3quit4s)

Edited by Red
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Editorials Team · Posted

"Welcome to Space World! Let's go."

I've got some high scores already filling the high score table from whoever had my cart before I bought it, not sure if they're "good" scores or not, but I haven't managed to beat them yet. Time to brush up on my general pinpuck skills.

There is a way to clear the high scores, but it's not documented in the manual. Go to the high scores screen where the table names are shown. Press [up up down down left left right right B A] and you'll get a prompt to erase the save data. Note that this isn't quite the Konami code 😄

It's funny that the game is completely unapologetic about using pucks. It calls them pucks in the manual and the game itself. Oh well. Fun game so far!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with @Splain and this game has no way to nudge the table. Got 1.4 mill on my first run. I’ll keep trying. This game needs more bonuses and more like excitement. Pin Bot and High Speed have a lot going on when you play

edit: 5,736,000 on my fourth or so run

 

C101567B-324A-4248-9ABD-9B2BAEEEA509.jpeg

Edited by a3quit4s
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I agree with @Splain and this game has no way to nudge the table. Got 1.4 mill on my first run. I’ll keep trying. This game needs more bonuses and more like excitement. Pin Bot and High Speed have a lot going on when you play

edit: 5,736,000 on my fourth or so run

The B button nudges the table.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ehhh Pinbot wasn't that active on bonuses trust me.  It's about as bland on those as Galactic Pinball.  HIgh Speed and High Speed 2 (real and on NES, Gameboy respectively) had much more going with those.

I'm tempted to take a swing at this.  I've just been soooo lazy about pulling my virtual boy out. 😕

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Editorials Team · Posted

At the very top of the table there are 4 paths the ball can take to those 3 bumpers. When you go through one it lights up; get all 4 and the center bumper/tunnel will light up. Get the puck through it and the UFO will come down and drop the skull guy. Bumping the sides or top will give 300k points, getting the puck into his mouth is 2 million. Do it 3 times and there's a 9 million point bonus. That's how you get the real millions. I keep making ridiculous mistakes but I had a lucky run:

 

45,502,000

jJ9kpAo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Editorials Team · Posted

BTW, what good does nudging the table do? Every pinball game has that, (including real pinball tables 😄)... I think I understand it conceptually, but I haven't found any real application where it's useful. It certainly doesn't do anything when the puck is racing down the center. And I've never gotten the puck "stuck" anywhere where it wasn't also making me some points. As far as I'm concerned it just jiggles the screen a little.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Changes the velocity some, also can just slightly redirect the ball, not so much going straight down, but angles, and the narrow side drains.  It was ticking me off earlier (I tried it) and I lost 3 balls almost instantly one game with it bouncing off the spots above the flippers throwing it down the toilet.  I got mad started hitting on B (you can't TILT it I don't think) and it was stopping that from continuing.

The other thing to realize a faster speed ball popping off the top round about path you can only hit it with the opposing flipper even if the 3D effect makes it look like the one on the same side will work, it won't.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Changes the velocity some, also can just slightly redirect the ball, not so much going straight down, but angles, and the narrow side drains.  It was ticking me off earlier (I tried it) and I lost 3 balls almost instantly one game with it bouncing off the spots above the flippers throwing it down the toilet.  I got mad started hitting on B (you can't TILT it I don't think) and it was stopping that from continuing.

The other thing to realize a faster speed ball popping off the top round about path you can only hit it with the opposing flipper even if the 3D effect makes it look like the one on the same side will work, it won't.

Ok now THAT's got my attention. Those bumpers right above the flippers are the worst. If the ball starts bouncing between those guys, there's a solid chance that the ball will go down a side gutter, and if you've got the doohickey that bounces your ball back up, there's a solid chance it will sail into the other gutter as well, without coming near the flippers. Next time that starts up, I'm going to shake like mad. The manual does say you can tilt the table though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's it for week eight!  Congratulations to @Splain for taking first place.

The week nine thread can be found here:

https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/6684-virtual-boy-weekly-contest-round-9-red-alarm/

 

5 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

 

Im adding a new post but in the future should I just edit the one I have?

You could do it either way, but I would prefer a new post.

Edited by Red
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Splain said:

Ok now THAT's got my attention. Those bumpers right above the flippers are the worst. If the ball starts bouncing between those guys, there's a solid chance that the ball will go down a side gutter, and if you've got the doohickey that bounces your ball back up, there's a solid chance it will sail into the other gutter as well, without coming near the flippers. Next time that starts up, I'm going to shake like mad. The manual does say you can tilt the table though.

I have the manual it's just put up.  I got pissed at it earlier and beat the hell out of the button when I saw it wasn't going to make it after slinging around under the flipper and up the side drain.  I probably hit it 20 times growling at it doing that crap and it never warned or tilted so it's a pretty lenient kill switch.  But really if you're just trying to stop it playing ping pong death ride off those slings by the flippers, or where it does it off the kickbacks just hit the button once or twice and it'll redirect it just enough to stop.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...