Jump to content
IGNORED

Repro vs real on rare pal and jap only 32x games


Matthewnimmo
 Share

Recommended Posts

So, im at the end of my us region of 32x collection ( just waiting on some games to show up from usps)

but, got thinking about the other 3 that are not part of the us region 2 exclusive to pal and 1 for Jap. I maybe able to get 1 out of the 3 original (but not sure they would prove that it wasn’t a repro). Darxide is just stupid expensive and cannot find anyhow. The Japanese title i can only find in japan only it seems. All of which I believe will not play on my ntsc hardware anyhow. So, is it worth trying to even hunt down originals or just find some nice reproductions that might even be unlocked to play on my US hardware 

thoughts anyone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, if you're that worried about prohibitive cost and potentially receiving bootlegs on top of that, I'd say that if you don't already have one, you should just invest in an appropriate flash cart (Mega Everdrive x7, I think?) which can emulate 32x carts and play them all that way.  For what you invest in a flash cart, based on your price hesitance, I would guess it to be equal to or less than the price of one of the games you're missing.  Plus, you should also be able to play Japanese region games on US/NTSC hardware without issue (my Mega Everdrive does this and is somewhere between the x5 & x7 in functionality).  You won't have the original games, but at least you'll be able to play them and not worry about somebody duping you into a cheap bootleg.  Plus, if you load it up, you can play everything else in the Genesis, 32X, and Master System library without having to swap carts!  Plus, you'll be able to do region changes for SegaCD with no hardware changes!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Honestly, if you're that worried about prohibitive cost and potentially receiving bootlegs on top of that, I'd say that if you don't already have one, you should just invest in an appropriate flash cart (Mega Everdrive x7, I think?) which can emulate 32x carts and play them all that way.  For what you invest in a flash cart, based on your price hesitance, I would guess it to be equal to or less than the price of one of the games you're missing.  Plus, you should also be able to play Japanese region games on US/NTSC hardware without issue (my Mega Everdrive does this and is somewhere between the x5 & x7 in functionality).  You won't have the original games, but at least you'll be able to play them and not worry about somebody duping you into a cheap bootleg.  Plus, if you load it up, you can play everything else in the Genesis, 32X, and Master System library without having to swap carts!  Plus, you'll be able to do region changes for SegaCD with no hardware changes!

Thanks, this is helpful and i did forget about those everdrives. I got one for my game gear works well!  I guess im wondering from a collectors point of view. How much would it bother a seasoned collector to have replicas of certain games?  Surgical Strike on 32x is a perfect example there is absolutely no chance of getting 1 out of the 2 known actual copies released in brazil. However, there are some replicas out there that might look great on the shelf with the others ... even though its not the real deal.

at first knowning that its a fake was botherIng me so I didn’t even think about considering anything outside of the official US release. But now im wondering 

so, with the above in mind is it taboo to even consider having reproductions of these last few titles?

granted, dont get me wrong. Id love to have them. Just might not be realistic 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Matthewnimmo said:

Thanks, this is helpful and i did forget about those everdrives. I got one for my game gear works well!  I guess im wondering from a collectors point of view. How much would it bother a seasoned collector to have replicas of certain games?  Surgical Strike on 32x is a perfect example there is absolutely no chance of getting 1 out of the 2 known actual copies released in brazil. However, there are some replicas out there that might look great on the shelf with the others ... even though its not the real deal.

at first knowning that its a fake was botherIng me so I didn’t even think about considering anything outside of the official US release. But now im wondering 

so, with the above in mind is it taboo to even consider having reproductions of these last few titles?

granted, dont get me wrong. Id love to have them. Just might not be realistic 

I'd say as long as they're clearly marked (somewhere) as replicas/reproductions, there's no reason not to indulge yourself so long as you're ok with it.  Those of us without an SE to fill up the last gap on our shelves have to think about this exact thing when setting up shelving for our "complete" NES collections, so I sympathize with your position in regard to this even more.  Although, with only 2 copies of a particular game released, I don't know that I would consider them so much a part of the set versus something that happened to be made for that system (like the NWC carts, given the small # produced and the only method to get them).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FIFA 96 isn't particularly uncommon back in the UK where I'm from, there's a good chance you can get hold of one of those without breaking the bank, certainly if you had a connection with someone who could help you track one down...

As for the reproductions, yeah just get an everdrive and play em that way, the repros are pure crap from a quality standpoint and they won't make you happy long term.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, OptOut said:

FIFA 96 isn't particularly uncommon back in the UK where I'm from, there's a good chance you can get hold of one of those without breaking the bank, certainly if you had a connection with someone who could help you track one down...

As for the reproductions, yeah just get an everdrive and play em that way, the repros are pure crap from a quality standpoint and they won't make you happy long term.

Well thats good to know. I can snag one for under $200 thats including shipping. But that just seems high and that’s nearly $30 in shipping too btw. Is that the going rate?  Also I thought you were in Taiwan?  Did you use to live in UK?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Matthewnimmo said:

Well thats good to know. I can snag one for under $200 thats including shipping. But that just seems high and that’s nearly $30 in shipping too btw. Is that the going rate?  Also I thought you were in Taiwan?  Did you use to live in UK?

I'm British, but I live in Taiwan now!

200 bucks is super overpriced, like just ridiculous. If you're patient you can get one for way under half that. Most UK sellers don't ship overseas so you're missing out on the best deals.

I can keep an eye out for you in the future if you want! 😉

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I'm British, but I live in Taiwan now!

200 bucks is super overpriced, like just ridiculous. If you're patient you can get one for way under half that. Most UK sellers don't ship overseas so you're missing out on the best deals.

I can keep an eye out for you in the future if you want! 😉

Aha. Well that explains it. That was cib for under $200. That still overpriced?  I couldn’t ask you to do that especially with my hesitation of shipping overseas:(. Very kind of you though. Very kind 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Yeah way overpriced dude.

If you change your mind, you know where to find me! 😘

Well, i tell you what. If you can keep your eye out for me on a good deal for it cib i may take you up on that offer especially if you say you may find one for under half that. Would cost my guess around 50-60 for a very nice reproduction, so that maybe doable to get the real deal for less than that $200 price. (I think it was going to be around $145 plus $35 in shipping. Something like that)

hows $400 for sangokushi iv?  Is that a good price?  Do you see any of them around?

thank you again and super kind of you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sangokushi iv is very scarce indeed. I'd say 400 is the going rate if you're desperate to get one sure, but I wouldn't be biting anyone's hand off at that price right now.

It's one of those games that turns up so infrequently (other than the small number of Japanese Ebay sellers that specialise in ripping off Americans) that the price can fluctuate pretty dramatically. But yeah, if you GOTTA have it, 400 will at least get you one, I suppose, rather than rolling the dice and waiting for another shot... Depends what your disposable income looks like I guess! 😄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, OptOut said:

Sangokushi iv is very scarce indeed. I'd say 400 is the going rate if you're desperate to get one sure, but I wouldn't be biting anyone's hand off at that price right now.

It's one of those games that turns up so infrequently (other than the small number of Japanese Ebay sellers that specialise in ripping off Americans) that the price can fluctuate pretty dramatically. But yeah, if you GOTTA have it, 400 will at least get you one, I suppose, rather than rolling the dice and waiting for another shot... Depends what your disposable income looks like I guess! 😄

Thanks!  Its definitely not $400 for this game at the moment im all tapped out on the bigger purchases for a while. Thankfully this isn’t an ebay seller (maybe thats even worse lol?). We’ll see if he changes his price months from now. Wasn’t quite sure on the going rate for the game because they just don’t show up that often to get much data on them

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

I’m really against repros these days. Simply because it encourages more scammers joining in on the retro scene. And with the price of games the way they are, I’d hate to be scammed on a repro or anyone else to be scammed as well.

Also, you might be innocent in buying a repro item, but the funds you are raising for the repro sellers, may inadvertently become the funds for them to get more advanced and be better scammers (potentially). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GPX said:

I’m really against repros these days. Simply because it encourages more scammers joining in on the retro scene. And with the price of games the way they are, I’d hate to be scammed on a repro or anyone else to be scammed as well.

Also, you might be innocent in buying a repro item, but the funds you are raising for the repro sellers, may inadvertently become the funds for them to get more advanced and be better scammers (potentially). 

My problem with repros is the issue with people trying to get into something new.  For me, NES is my baby and I've been collecting for 20+ years and had thousands of games pass through my hands, so nobody is going to fool me with a repro if I can examine it in person.  However, what if I were to get into Sega CD, for example?  I've held maybe three Sega CD games in my hands in my entire life and I know almost nothing about the system, so if that system was plagued with tons of repros out there, that would be quite the barrier to entry for me.  So it's the new guys coming into collecting or getting into new systems that have the biggest issues to deal with, and it's only getting worse as more and more repros and Chinese knockoffs flood the market year after year...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

My problem with repros is the issue with people trying to get into something new.  For me, NES is my baby and I've been collecting for 20+ years and had thousands of games pass through my hands, so nobody is going to fool me with a repro if I can examine it in person.  However, what if I were to get into Sega CD, for example?  I've held maybe three Sega CD games in my hands in my entire life and I know almost nothing about the system, so if that system was plagued with tons of repros out there, that would be quite the barrier to entry for me.  So it's the new guys coming into collecting or getting into new systems that have the biggest issues to deal with, and it's only getting worse as more and more repros and Chinese knockoffs flood the market year after year...

Totally get it. Im still on the fence about these last three being repros. The only thought i have with them is that if i do it they would be obvious reproductions such as darxide only being released in Europe my repro i would have made to resemble the Us release style such as the image below. @Dr. Morbisdoes have a good point as innocent as my motivation maybe i am funding something potentially that could be used to scam new comers into the hobby which I don’t want to do:(

6C1620E8-54BC-46FB-85CF-76E216277911.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...