IGNORED

Virtual Boy Weekly Contest Round 6: Wario Land

Red

Hello and welcome to the sixth round of the Virtual Boy Weekly Contest!  This week's game is Wario Land.  It's time for a speed run competition!  Race your way through what many fans consider the best game on Virtual Boy.

Rules:

- Start a new game

- Beat the game

- Fastest clear time wins

- You must take your picture at the END screen

- If you can't beat the game, take your picture at a Save Point Screen.  Furthest progress wins.  If two participants tie, lowest time wins.

- You have until 11:00 PM EST on Sunday, January 24, 2021 to submit your score.

For general contest rules, click here:

https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/5999-virtual-boy-weekly-contest-leaderboard-rules-20202021/

Good luck and have fun!

SCOREBOARD:

1. Game Cleared, 1:23:38 (Splain)

2. Stage 13, 48:01 (ZeldaFan042)

3. Stage 3, 13:25 (Proveaux)

Edited by Red
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, koifish said:

Is this to 100%, meaning having found all the treasures as well? I actually only ever played the game once; I don't remember if you had to get them all to beat it.

You don't need all the treasures.  Just get through it as fast as you can.

Editorials Team · Posted

Well, here's how I'm doing: I understand that this game is highly regarded. And that's justified; it's definitely got a ton more polish, charm, and depth than the majority of the VB library. There's a lot that I appreciate about it. But I've always been sort of annoyed at Wario games for the mechanic of having to have the right kind of powerup to get through certain obstacles. Especially when you don't know that you need a specific powerup to get through a wall that shows no indication of being breakable. But that's just me, it's the same with most Wario games (and Kirby games) and those are still great games. And I'm still having fun with this one.

I should have some time this weekend to finish a run and post it.

Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Red said:

@koifish @Proveaux @Splain @ZeldaFan042 Don't forget to submit your scores.  There is less than 12 hours left!  Remember, you don't have to actually beat the game to submit a score.  You can take your picture at the furthest checkpoint you reached.

Thanks! I'll get my score up soon.

Editorials Team · Posted

I could get this time way down, but those last levels, and for some reason the first mini-boss, just keep me from wanting to fire it up again. I acknowledge that it's a good game though, I'll fire it up again after the competition is over and give it another shot.

1:23:38

S6icICG.jpg

Editorials Team · Posted

The final boss was not fun lol. I kept dying and losing treasures. I started running low and getting nervous, then started getting used to the boss's patterns. There's really no use in jumping to the far platform, just run back and forth to avoid the double claws, jump to the side when a claw starts flashing, and when he does the fire, move to the side and jump toward the middle as it flares out. I did manage to hit him once when he was invisible, so that's possible I guess.

The first mini-boss was embarrassingly hard for me. I could not get a good pattern down for that guy.

Again, there's a lot of cool stuff about this game, but I don't love it enough for it to me my personal favorite on the platform. It gets bonus points for that opening scene where there are like 7 levels of depth, that's pretty cool.

4 minutes ago, Splain said:

The final boss was not fun lol. I kept dying and losing treasures. I started running low and getting nervous, then started getting used to the boss's patterns. There's really no use in jumping to the far platform, just run back and forth to avoid the double claws, jump to the side when a claw starts flashing, and when he does the fire, move to the side and jump toward the middle as it flares out. I did manage to hit him once when he was invisible, so that's possible I guess.

The first mini-boss was embarrassingly hard for me. I could not get a good pattern down for that guy.

Again, there's a lot of cool stuff about this game, but I don't love it enough for it to me my personal favorite on the platform. It gets bonus points for that opening scene where there are like 7 levels of depth, that's pretty cool.

My biggest problem with the final boss is that Wario would seemingly want to jump across randomly when I didn't want him to, and then jump sideways when I tried to hit the boss's face. 

For the first boss, I got a good pattern down where when he jumps across, he'll swing the ball toward you, then away, then slam it at you. If you jump up as it is going back, you can jump over the ball and land on his head as it swings forward to slam down.