IGNORED

Cryptocurrency thread

phart010

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Yep, it dropped a bit today again. Did the same thing 2 days ago. The petition is nearing half a mil to list,  so the talk is it will be hitting Robinhood with a handful of other altcoins early this month. Nothing affirmative yet, but is there ever? 😂

When you say Shiba, I assume you mean DOGE?

15 hours ago, phart010 said:

I sold 12 ETH for $200 altogether to take profits

7 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I sold 5 a year ago for about $300 each, so that didn't work out too well either.

I had 30 ETH and sold for a few grand in profit.

Even worse, I was mining BTC over ten years ago but decided it was stupid and stopped.

Everybody's got a story about the one (or many) that got away.Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da...

Edited by DoctorEncore

Also, is anyone else into Liquidity Pooling and Staking?

I'm pooling EFX-USDT on Orion Protocol and making 150% APR (paid in ORN). You can even manually claim and pool your reward every day, upping the effective APR to over 340%.

Even crazier, when I first started, I was getting an absolutely unreal 300% APR which could be doubled with manual compounding. This stuff is crazy and we're still way out ahead of it. Lots of time to make big money.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

Also, is anyone else into Liquidity Pooling and Staking?

I'm pooling EFX-USDT on Orion Protocol and making 150% APR (paid in ORN). You can even manually claim and pool your reward every day, upping the effective APR to over 340%.

Even crazier, when I first started, I was getting an absolutely unreal 300% APR which could be doubled with manual compounding. This stuff is crazy and we're still way out ahead of it. Lots of time to make big money.

There he goes talkin French again. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know the technicalities of how the market actually works. I am wondering, would it be possible to manipulate the price of a coin by setting arbitrarily high buy limit orders?

Like let’s say SHIB was trading at $0.00006 today… What if someone placed a buy limit order for 1M SHIB at $0.01 each. This would mean that 1M SHIB for sale on the market would get their sell limit orders fulfilled.

But what happens to the difference in price between $0.01 and the sell limit price of the coins that were fulfilled. Let’s assume the sell orders were set to fulfill at $0.00006. Does the full $0.01 go to the seller? Or does the exchange just give the seller the amount that they set their sell limit for and keep the difference? Or does the buyers buy order just get fulfilled at whatever the price the sellers are asking for as long as it is less than $0.01 per coin…

The reason I am asking is because if the exchange fulfills it at $0.01 and keeps the difference between the seller price and the buyers price, then does that $0.01 price go into the market price history? If so, wouldn’t that become a way of manipulating the market price to become higher??

Edited by phart010

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I had 30 ETH and sold for a few grand in profit.

Even worse, I was mining BTC over ten years ago but decided it was stupid and stopped.

Everybody's got a story about the one (or many) that got away.Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da...

Any clue how many you mined?  Willing to share?

1 minute ago, DoctorEncore said:

I honestly have no clue. Very, very few. Definitely less than 10.

Yeah, I know how that goes... but even 5 is a cool $300k today.  I met a guy when I chartered a Meetup in Charlotte.  He was a young guy and was mining in the CPU days because his brother heard some people were using it to benchmark their rigs.  He said he'd mined a few hundred, which at that time might have been worth no more than $20k, or so.  Still, there are a lot of "techie" people that at some point did that.

7 hours ago, phart010 said:

Like let’s say SHIB was trading at $0.00006 today… What if someone placed a buy limit order for 1M SHIB at $0.01 each. This would mean that 1M SHIB for sale on the market would get their sell limit orders fulfilled.

But what happens to the difference in price between $0.01 and the sell limit price of the coins that were fulfilled. Let’s assume the sell orders were set to fulfill at $0.00006. Does the full $0.01 go to the seller? Or does the exchange just give the seller the amount that they set their sell limit for and keep the difference? Or does the buyers buy order just get fulfilled at whatever the price the sellers are asking for as long as it is less than $0.01 per coin…

The reason I am asking is because if the exchange fulfills it at $0.01 and keeps the difference between the seller price and the buyers price, then does that $0.01 price go into the market price history? If so, wouldn’t that become a way of manipulating the market price to become higher??

No, wait. 

An exchange has something called an "order book" which is a bunch of buy and sell orders that have been logged by users with a price and amount. When you buy or sell, the exchange will either match your order to an existing order that has the same price and amount, or it will enter your order as a new open order waiting to be filled. 

If you buy with an amount greater than the next open order on the sell side, then what an exchange usually does is it will fill the orders one by one until you get the amount you are trying to buy. So it is not a 1M buy order at $0.01 that gets logged. It is each open sell order that closes, one by one, that will get logged in the history. 

Imaging a sell order book that looks like this: 

$0.00006 100k SHIB

$0.00007 223k SHIB

$0.00008 500k SHIB

$0.00009 300k SHIB

You can place a buy order at $0.01 for 1M SHIB but the exchange will fill the open orders in order until you have been fulfilled for 1M SHIB. So in this scenario, the following closed orders will be recorded in the history: 

$0.00006 100k SHIB

$0.00007 223k SHIB

$0.00008 500k SHIB

$0.00009 177k SHIB

Your combined cost will be about $0.000078 for 1M SHIB. After your order is filled, the sell side of the book will have an open order for the remaining 223k SHIB at $0.00009. 

If the order book is "thin" and there aren't many sell orders to fulfill your request, then it's possible that as your order is fulfilled, you will eventually be matching with sell orders placed at $0.01, and the price chart would paint a bar going all the way up to $0.01 at the time that you placed the order. But this does not mean that there is some gap difference that the exchange is pocketing.

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Like 1