IGNORED

Cryptocurrency thread

phart010

18 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I've teamed up with an incredible artist to release a NFT collection later this year, I think it's going to be huge. I'll post the name here later when we get some samples and a website up.

If anyone has any questions about that, I'm pretty deep in NFT for work at the moment, I understand everything about it. I actually had to write a script that pulls them from the block chain based on a public wallet address using the API.

Are you saying you work for a company in the NFT space? I'm very interested. I've been working on my own collection but not quite done yet as my job has been keeping me too busy. 

12 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Are you saying you work for a company in the NFT space? I'm very interested. I've been working on my own collection but not quite done yet as my job has been keeping me too busy. 

Yes, we make digital displays. My team is developing one that can scan a QR code from your Metamask wallet and load all of your NFT on the display.

Currently people don't really have a way of showing their NFT collection as art pieces.

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Yes, we make digital displays. My team is developing one that can scan a QR code from your Metamask wallet and load all of your NFT on the display.

Currently people don't really have a way of showing their NFT collection as art pieces.

Eh, there's options. I remember seeing digital frames when I was working in NYC 6 years ago. Obviously being able to scan a QR code is a big feature, I like where you are headed with this. Sounds cool. 

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, MiamiSlice said:

Eh, there's options. I remember seeing digital frames when I was working in NYC 6 years ago. Obviously being able to scan a QR code is a big feature, I like where you are headed with this. Sounds cool. 

Imagine paying $12k to add to a frame an image you could download from Google.

Administrator · Posted

NFTs are rich people taking the principle of an "original piece" from physical art and skewing the meaning in order to make more money.

What makes an NFT the "original" image exactly? Do I get the PSD or AI file? No, there's nothing unique at all about the image aside from that the original artist (presumably) has tagged the digital representation of a file and encoded it in such a way that it can only be "traded" on a specific type of platform.

It's rich people bullshit.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Gloves said:

Doesn't blow my mind in the slightest! I'm familiar with the landscape.

Also for the record there's a bunch of NFT's that are stored in the Ethereum contract itself (like Blitmaps). There's no PSD or AI file, no JPG, nothing like that. Then there are generative art NFT's that are made up of a seed value stored on-chain + a generator script that is stored in the original contract (like Artblocks). Then there are some where the generator is offchain (like Mooncats). Even if you think "file > save as" invalidates the whole landscape of JPG NFTs, there's still a bunch of NFT's out there that this criticism doesn't apply to. 

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, MiamiSlice said:

Also for the record there's a bunch of NFT's that are stored in the Ethereum contract itself (like Blitmaps). There's no PSD or AI file, no JPG, nothing like that. Then there are generative art NFT's that are made up of a seed value stored on-chain + a generator script that is stored in the original contract (like Artblocks). Then there are some where the generator is offchain (like Mooncats). Even if you think "file > save as" invalidates the whole landscape of JPG NFTs, there's still a bunch of NFT's out there that this criticism doesn't apply to. 

Yeah to be clear I suppose - I was referring primarily to the static content.

There's something to be said for generative, dynamic content, certainly. I might have been too broad in my original statement by blanketing it all as "NFT". 

I wish they weren't all so intrinsically grouped.

Administrator · Posted

Honestly if I was smart I'd just get in on it. @Code Monkey @MiamiSlice

I know how to create generative art using WebGL; I could spit these out on the daily with relative ease. But I'm a dummy who hates money. Big respect to @Code Monkey for taking the initiative on this stuff.

12 hours ago, phart010 said:

Things are getting full stupid

35812F2E-531C-4364-AC57-1501E456D396.thumb.jpeg.585832aa75cd3323c13677b2ef59341e.jpeg

I was at a comic convention last weekend and one of the vendors was selling some pretty cool Pokemon art but one of his art pieces was unique. It was on the very bottom corner of his stand and was just a square drawn on a white piece of paper. I bent down to read it and it read, "This is a drawing of a piece of paper on a piece of paper." I laughed and walked away.

I walked by there an hour later and it was gone, presumably sold.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

What does that even mean? 

It's a take on a famous painting by Magritte, though a rather lazy and unimaginative take. 

There's other variants on the theme such as "painting of an invisible castle" (or something to that effect) which is just a blank sheet of paper. 

MagrittePipe.jpg

• Thanks 1

I'm 95% out of crypto right now, but holding a nice chunk of change to jump back in. My buy price is 40.5 for BTC, 2400 for ETH, and 1.5 for ADA. I'd also like to get some Solana. I'm also still jumping on Cardstarter IDOs and hope to get into Starlaunch (Solana) IDOs. I'm not interested in NFTs.

Crypto still has a rocky road ahead but it's definitely maturing.

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'm 95% out of crypto right now, but holding a nice chunk of change to jump back in. My buy price is 40.5 for BTC, 2400 for ETH, and 1.5 for ADA. I'd also like to get some Solana. I'm also still jumping on Cardstarter IDOs and hope to get into Starlaunch (Solana) IDOs. I'm not interested in NFTs.

Crypto still has a rocky road ahead but it's definitely maturing.

I think you're making a big decision avoiding NFT. August was a record month for sales and September will be even bigger.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I think you're making a big decision avoiding NFT. August was a record month for sales and September will be even bigger.

I'm not necessarily against NFT, it's just not something I personally want to get into. I'm sure there's plenty of money to be made there. Hopefully, I'll benefit through association with some of my other investments.

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'm not necessarily against NFT, it's just not something I personally want to get into. I'm sure there's plenty of money to be made there. Hopefully, I'll benefit through association with some of my other investments.

Personally I have learned you have to stick to what you know. Nothing wrong with saying it’s not for you. I walked away from crypto trading, BTC, alts etc and am just focusing on NFT’s for the same reason.

• Like 1