IGNORED

Cryptocurrency thread

phart010

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, DoctorEncore said:

El Salvadore implemented BTC as official currency. 

"Buy the rumor (AKA hype), sell the news."

This is real news.

It's kinda funny, this has happened multiple times now. I look at my crypto and go "Boy, it sure has gone up quite quickly, now is probably a good time to liquidate!" and then I go "No no... we hold! Today's up could be tomorrow's down!". And then the prices all plummet the next day.

I gotta start listening to that first voice in my head more! 😛

• Haha 1

Just now, Gloves said:

It's kinda funny, this has happened multiple times now. I look at my crypto and go "Boy, it sure has gone up quite quickly, now is probably a good time to liquidate!" and then I go "No no... we hold! Today's up could be tomorrow's down!". And then the prices all plummet the next day.

I gotta start listening to that first voice in my head more! 😛

Welcome to day trading, haha.

I think it's totally fine to just hold BTC, ETH, ADA, and some other high cap coins. You really don't even need to look at them.

However, this is my side investing stuff and doesn't detract from my retirement funds in any way, so I'm still doing stupid things with my daily trades. In order to do less stupid things, I now keep my trading crypto in Coinbase Pro. Thankfully, I actually had a stop loss for my ETH and it sold on the way down at $3600.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, DoctorEncore said:

Welcome to day trading, haha.

I think it's totally fine to just hold BTC, ETH, ADA, and some other high cap coins. You really don't even need to look at them.

However, this is my side investing stuff and doesn't detract from my retirement funds in any way, so I'm still doing stupid things with my daily trades. In order to do less stupid things, I now keep my trading crypto in Coinbase Pro. Thankfully, I actually had a stop loss for my ETH and it sold on the way down at $3600.

Yeah my main funds go to WealthSimple which has done well investing in stocks etc. for me. I actually really like the robo investor cuz it's very set it and forget it, and after a few years it looks to be pretty clearly working. I'm up 17.5% returns on both my TFSA and RRSP! Obviously there's ups and downs (I was down a few thousand when covid hit, as I imagine just about every joe blow was) but overall I'm quite happy with it.

This crypto stuff is just fun side stuff, I don't have a life-altering amount in it or anything ($2500 CAD right now). It's like when I used to play the economies on MapleStory, Runescape, and GaiaOnline. But now with real money! 😛

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

You guys keep pushing my goal higher every year, eventually it's gonna get ridiculous lol. 

I think your donor page is always active so I could always try to hit it before you start. There was a guy playing for the Cincinnati Children's Hospital last year and I think his goal was over $10k.

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think your donor page is always active so I could always try to hit it before you start. There was a guy playing for the Cincinnati Children's Hospital last year and I think his goal was over $10k.

I put up the page at the start of every year to make sure my name doesn't get stolen or anything. So yeah, all year available! 

What do y’all think about ECOMI? It’s a token that is used to purchase NFT’s through the VeVe digital collectibles app.

Kind of like buying the currency that fuels NBA Top Shot. But instead of the NFT’s being limited to NBA moments, VeVe is getting licensing deals with a lot of companies in the entertainment industry.

Like Marvel Universe, DC Comics, etc. I’ve even heard there’s talk of getting deals with Star Trek, Star Wars, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokémon etc.

Right now you can buy ECOMI at $0.003 each. NBA Top Shot runs on Flow network. Right now Flow is trading for $20. 

It is not convenient to buy ECOMI, this may be why the price is low. Even if it were to go to $0.01 you’d be more than doubling your money. 

I have put $1000 into it.. Am I a fool?

Edited by phart010

16 hours ago, phart010 said:

I have put $1000 into it.. Am I a fool?

Probably no more foolish than anyone else investing in crazy new technology. I'm still skeptical of NFTs but they bounced back big time after a mini crash a few months ago. I think sports and media collectibles are the way to go unless you're uber rich, in which case art is apparently a big deal.

A few of my friends and I formed an LLC and are investing in early Cardano projects through Cardstarter with plans to expand into DOT and SOL. Staking on these platforms let's us buy in during private rounds of funding before IDO. It's interesting, although allocations are small so we haven't seen huge profits yet.

1 hour ago, Californication said:

Because it is not a currency.

it's certainly not functioning as one currently, but the name "cryptocurrency" implies that it aspires to be one.

Forbes defines bitcoin as "a decentralized digital currency that you can buy, sell and exchange directly, without an intermediary like a bank."

that could only happen if its value reached some degree of stability. Rapid and volatile deflation is a not a healthy sign.

Edited by G-type

Yesterday we had our first insider trading scandal in NFTs: 

https://www.theblockcrypto.com/post/117751/opensea-confirms-executive-used-insider-knowledge-when-buying-nfts

Thought y'all might enjoy. The whole thing was blown open pretty quickly because the evidence was all visible on the Ethereum blockchain. 

I've teamed up with an incredible artist to release a NFT collection later this year, I think it's going to be huge. I'll post the name here later when we get some samples and a website up.

If anyone has any questions about that, I'm pretty deep in NFT for work at the moment, I understand everything about it. I actually had to write a script that pulls them from the block chain based on a public wallet address using the API.